CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help
Viewing Topic: Propeller Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hila2006

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Phil, I think we paid $135 for ours, so not too bad. Still miss our stainless steel one that's sitting in the bottom of Beseck Embarassed We need to get a different prop again, we lost at least 5 mph with the one we got. Have to up the pitch on it to gain speed.
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hila2006 wrote:
Wow Phil, I think we paid $135 for ours, so not too bad. Still miss our stainless steel one that's sitting in the bottom of Beseck Embarassed We need to get a different prop again, we lost at least 5 mph with the one we got. Have to up the pitch on it to gain speed.

When I shopped around for a new propeller on January, I found a Yamaha high performance stainless steel propeller with a higher pitch than my Yamaha aluminum propeller at Even Keel Marine ( http://evenkeelmarine.com ). I exchanged emails with Bob in the Sales Department, who said, "I would like to sell you a prop but I would like you to be happy with it even more, so I have some questions for you." After I told Bob about my boat, he said, "Hi Phil, since you have the smaller diameter cupped prop I believe you would be disappointed with the props I have to offer. I believe your Eagle 165 to be a fairly flat bottom with just a little v to it, a stainless prop is not going to give you a big performance gain if any because of boat design, speed and motor size." I think he was basically telling me that the aluminum propeller makes my boat go as fast as it should. Laughing In any case, it goes as fast as I need. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil, you shouldnt run that engine with a damaged prop,,it is lop sided and will vibrate, which could damage your prop shaft and bearings, then your talking money,,Aluminum is perfect for your boat,,stainless is pointless with anything under 115 horsepower
fishfinder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking the same but don't know much about boats so didn't say anything. Hopefully it comes in soon so you don't get tempted to take her out. I know it would kill me having a boat on a nice day and not be able to take her out!

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flippy wrote:
Phil, you shouldnt run that engine with a damaged prop,,it is lop sided and will vibrate, which could damage your prop shaft and bearings, then your talking money

My motor doesn't vibrate very much with the damaged propeller. It's barely noticeable at low RPMs and disappears completely at higher RPMs. It certainly doesn't vibrate enough to make you stretch your thong or shake any of the rhinestones off of it. Laughing

I did, however, take your advice. Wink NWDarkcloud (aka Bob) had to run up to G & R Marine ( http://www.grmarine.com ) in South Windsor to get some epoxy, today, so I went with him. G & R Marine is a Yamaha dealer and had my propeller in stock for a reasonable price, so I picked one up. I'll keep the one I ordered online for a spare. The way I run my boat, I'll probably need it. Embarassed The parts guy was kind enough to throw in a stainless steel cotter pin with the propeller. He suggested that I use axle bearing grease to lube the splines when I install it. I'll do it before I take The Other Woman, Too out, again.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job Phil, we need to order another one at some point. We lost 5 mph easily when replaced ours. We were hoping to find it in the lake at draw down, but no luck.
SAP284

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
flippy wrote:
Phil, you shouldnt run that engine with a damaged prop,,it is lop sided and will vibrate, which could damage your prop shaft and bearings, then your talking money

I did, however, take your advice. Wink NWDarkcloud (aka Bob) had to run up to G & R Marine ( http://www.grmarine.com ) in South Windsor to get some epoxy, today, so I went with him. G & R Marine is a Yamaha dealer and had my propeller in stock for a reasonable price, so I picked one up. I'll keep the one I ordered online for a spare. The way I run my boat, I'll probably need it. Embarassed The parts guy was kind enough to throw in a stainless steel cotter pin with the propeller. He suggested that I use axle bearing grease to lube the splines when I install it. I'll do it before I take The Other Woman, Too out, again.

They are pretty good people over there, Tony (younger guy) is usually pretty good about stuff like that. He gave me a free cotter when I bought my prop there last year.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAP284 wrote:
They are pretty good people over there, Tony (younger guy) is usually pretty good about stuff like that. He gave me a free cotter when I bought my prop there last year.

I asked Tony whether he would throw in a cotter pin and got one, too! Laughing

I swapped out my propeller, today:

As usual, I have a stupid story about it. Rolling Eyes I didn't remove my old propeller until after I had already purchased the new one. I determined which propeller I had by reading Yamaha Performance Bulletins for similar G3 boats with the same motor (i.e., F60TLR) and seeing which propeller they used. I figured I had a 10-3/8" diameter x 13" pitch propeller, because G3 used it on a boat that was similar to mine with the same motor and it had similar performance. When I took off my damaged propeller, this morning, I discovered that it was a 10" diameter x 15" pitch propeller. Embarassed I installed the new propeller, anyway, and took The Other Woman, Too out on the water. It turns out that she's actually a couple of miles per hour faster with the new propeller, even though it has less pitch than the old one. Very Happy Go figure! Wink

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Propeller Reply with quote

SeaDog1 wrote:
PECo wrote:
I found a rock in Salmon Cove, today Confused :

I had planned to buy a new propeller ever since I dinged it up on January 8 when I was trying to get back to the ramp in Derby, but now I have to get one. Rolling Eyes Do I need a special wrench for this?

Hi Phil,

I've seen worse !

Don't be worried -> Your not the first, or last, to have that happen to !

Even I have dinged-up my screw a few times -> (Oh! Screws are on Boats/Ships and Propellers are on airplanes per correct definition ! Laughing )

How would you like to have to change-out one of these and pay the cost ! Shocked

SeaDog1 Mr. Green

Dang, Thats more than i got, if i had to, id use a fan blade (lol)
Facebook.com/LorenzoNReyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: