CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help
Viewing Topic: Propeller Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Propeller Reply with quote

I found a rock in Salmon Cove, today Confused :

I had planned to buy a new propeller ever since I dinged it up on January 8 when I was trying to get back to the ramp in Derby, but now I have to get one. Rolling Eyes Do I need a special wrench for this?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks but stuff happens. No special wrench needed its called a castle nut justed grooved for the cotter pin. A regular socket will fit it. If it won't break free put the socket and wrench(or breaker bar) on the nut and give it a whack with a mallet the quick strike almost always works. Same as any car to remove rotors and bearings. Good luck.
SAP284

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Phil,

You might be able to do it with an adjustable, but if you don't have a socket that fits they do sell prop wrenches at Cabelas. Just an FYI and I'm sure you probably know, make sure you put a 2 by 4 or some piece of wood wedged in between the top of prop and the plate so when u turn the nut the propeller doesn't spin with it.

Make sure it's heavily greased with marine grease when u put the new one on too. Then obviously put the new cotter pin on at the end.

I've chewed up my propeller pretty bad too at Highland once Embarassed

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=11151&productId=196958&langId=-1

While you're picking up a new prop..... I've still got the old one I took off my 20hp, but need the 75+ for the new motor. It saved me a number of props in rocky, shallow water.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
NWDarkcloud

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang! phil big chunk missing ...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Phil, that sucks. They make a poly prop wrench, which is considerably less expensive than the steel one, I think you can get it a West Marine, there's one in North Branford. You be able to get your prop there as well. I ended up going to Suburban Marine in Meriden to get mine, the ones at West were not the one my motor, even with the adapter kit. Good luck dude.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Propeller Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
I found a rock in Salmon Cove, today Confused :

I had planned to buy a new propeller ever since I dinged it up on January 8 when I was trying to get back to the ramp in Derby, but now I have to get one. Rolling Eyes Do I need a special wrench for this?

Hi Phil,

I've seen worse !

Don't be worried -> Your not the first, or last, to have that happen to !

Even I have dinged-up my screw a few times -> (Oh! Screws are on Boats/Ships and Propellers are on airplanes per correct definition ! Laughing )

How would you like to have to change-out one of these and pay the cost ! Shocked

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
hila2006

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
flippy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil,,LOL,,Dont be ashamed,, weve all done it,, luckily for you its an aluminum prop,, good thing it wasnt a stainless,,regular socket will be fine,,use a block of wood like somebody had already mentioned and grease the spline well before putting the new one on,,use a new cotter pin,,if you want.. you can bring it to my house when you get a new prop and I will walk you through it,, takes about 10 minutes,,
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flippy wrote:
Phil,,LOL,,Dont be ashamed,, weve all done it,, luckily for you its an aluminum prop,, good thing it wasnt a stainless,,regular socket will be fine,,use a block of wood like somebody had already mentioned and grease the spline well before putting the new one on,,use a new cotter pin,,if you want.. you can bring it to my house when you get a new prop and I will walk you through it,, takes about 10 minutes,,

Thanks, Jim. Is there a special type of cotter pin I should get?

Oh, and I found out today that the shredded prop took only five miles per hour off of The Other Woman, Too's top end. Cool

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil,

Jim's right -> Good thing it wasn't a stailess steel one.

If your going to run in shallow waters where there are rocks or gravel bars, I suggest it might be best to stay with the aluminum type one for your motor or a composite one.

SeaDog1
fishfinder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the difference, just price or would the stronger Stainless have done damage to the motor instead of the aluminum giving in?

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ff,

Yes! The aluminum one will bend or break first and there's less likely hood of the engine being damaged.

A steel one will not give anywhere as much and possible engine damage could result !

Phil, check to see if your shaft has a shear pin in it !
If it does -> check to see if its the proper one or was replaced with something that won't shear as it is suppose to.

Also you may want to consider a guard such as this .......

Actually helps to increase forward speed as it acts like a Knort Nozzel to concentrate the water bite of the screw !

SeaDog1
flippy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stainless is much harder than aluminum,,and can damage a lower unit,,aluminum is soft and gives or breaks,,also aluminum flexes and stainless does not,,thats why on bigger or high powered boats they are usually stainless,,loss of power with an aluminum,,phil the cotter pin,,should be,,a good quality one,, dont buy it at the dollar tree,,I can get you one if you want,, I have alot of them in different sizes,,that I always use and give to people,,Call me or pm me,,
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered a replacement aluminum propeller for only $120, which is a lot cheaper than I thought it would be. I don't think I need a propeller guard. I'd probably be better off being more careful and having a spare propeller.

Thanks, again, Jim. I'll give you a call when my propeller shows up. In the meantime, I hope that the damaged propeller holds up. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: