CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: Rooftop kayak options? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scratch59

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Rooftop kayak options? Reply with quote

Hi guys, picked up 2 Trophy 126's on black Friday and have been putting off transportation options until the season got closer. I have been out a dozen or so times now and I figured its time to address the issue.

The situation:

Car = Saab 9-3
Roof-rack = Thule standard rails
Kayaks = 2

Looking for a way to not have to spend $300 on roof J-style racks. I am a pretty talented DIYer and would prefer that method if anyone has one...

Tips please!
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bite the bullet and get the Thule J-racks from Dick's Sporting Goods. Use coupons. Seriously. Very Happy

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3104997

With two Trophys, you can get by with only one rack. The other one will sit flat on the crossbars and can be securely strapped down with the lateral support from the single J-rack. Believe me, I know:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What should I be looking at as a target price after coupons?
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although they're on sale for $119.99, right now, I've seen them for $99.99, although those days might be long gone. $10 off of a $50 purchase coupons are easy to find (there's one in the 2012 Connecticut Angler's Guide), but Entertainment coupon books include a $20 off of a $100 purchase coupon. And, like I said, you really need only one set of J-racks for two kayaks, if at least one kayak will sit flat on the cross bars, like both of your Trophys will.

Hey, a CTFishTalk member might even have a used set of J-racks that he would be willing to sell you at a good price, because he bought a set of folding J-racks that let him drive his SUV into his garage without taking them off, right JJay? Laughing

If JJay (aka Jason) doesn't see this, send him a PM. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great! I really appreciate the advice!
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the instructions that come with the J-racks so that you know how to properly strap down your kayaks. You can see the way that the straps should double over the kayak in my second photo. You won't need a front or rear tie down if you do it correctly. The kayak will NOT move. Really.

I had to use front and rear tie downs in the first photo because the kayak was so wide that I couldn't double the straps over it (they were too short). Plus, the store that sold me the kayak wouldn't let me leave the store without them, due to liability concerns. But they're not required in Connecticut, even though they are in some other states (e.g., Maine).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-YAKIMA-WATERSPORTS-HULLRAISER-KAYAK-CAR-RACK-/170812739969?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c53b9181

The Yakima racks will also work with your Thule bars if you don't care about mixing brands. Here's a set for $109, but I got 2 pair on ebay at $98 a set. Need to keep your eyes open as there are a lot of choices. The rings that hold them to the roof rack have tabs that snap out for the square bars.
Scratch59

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I do 2 of these do you think I could fit my alligator style ski rack (which I use as my rod holder) in between?
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you probably could use a ski rack as a rod holder in between two sets of J-racks. That's a terrific idea. Idea I never thought of it, although I'd be reluctant to spend the money for a ski rack just to use it as a rod holder, anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha Phil,

Check your inbox Scratch59!
Scratch59

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jay,

Will respond to the pm when I get back. Down at the DEP docks right now where the bite is SLOW
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian

Here are a few photos of my Saab with two kayaks on the Thule roofrack and a single set of Thule J-racks:

And here's a good shot of the way you should double-over the straps:

Notice how they go around the coaming on the Trophy, which helps to keep it from moving forward or backward, not that it would, anyway.

Phil

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Phil!

I ended up buying two sets of the Thule cheap ones (off Amazon.) Now I just need to get out there and paddle. I am thinking Saturday will be my green one's maiden voyage.

Hoping for some rain!
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful when loading and unloading your kayaks from the rack. It's easy to knock the plastic end caps off of the rack tubing. Lift the kayaks on and off; don't slide them.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advice noted...

On a different note, I want my girlfriend to paddle with me this year (hence the two kayaks I bought) but I don't trust her abilities. Anyone know of a good place to get lessons and/or a quick safety lesson? I don't know if I trust my patience in teaching her Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: