CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Secret Pike Lake Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flipper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:29 am    Post subject: Secret Pike Lake Reply with quote

Went camping at my secret pike lake this weekend. Everything a had read and heard about summer pike patterns was contradicted on this trip.

I talked to some locals fishing from shore in a cove I had caught pike in before. They turned me on to a great method of catching them at this place. Simple and easy - big hook, big bobber, and a bluegill for bait. These guys were having their wife and kids catch panfish and throwing them out as bait for pike.

After witnessing the success they were having, I decided to ditch my shiners and join them. I may be stubborn, but I'm not stupid!!!! We proceeded to catch a bunch of them all day. I got 3 all between 34"-38" and they got 5 similar size with the biggest being 41". All fish were between 10lb-15lb. We all had many more bites, and I even had a bluegill bit in half.

The surprising thing about this trip was we were fishing in 2'-5' of water in the middle of a 90+ degree day! Pike are supposed to be deeper and largely inactive at this time of year, especially on the hotter days. The locals say that they only catch them when the sun is bright and high. Also, this cove was way to small to hold all of these pike full time. I think they may come in, swim around and go back out. It's hard to imagine that many pike residing in such a small spot all year long.

Anyway, it just goes to show that sometimes the more you think you know, the less you really do. Lesson for the day - try something totally different than what traditionally "works". You may just be surprised at what happens!
panfishh8r

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like fun! want to tell me where this secret pike spot is? haha

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya!!! Wink
slimecoat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't allow secret lake posts here, or lake X Reports either!!!!!!!!

We all share information equally, you can do that on the other site if you want!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Gary totally. Can't see why posters can't name lakes unless private. It's not like we're asking you to show us your secret holes. Real fisherman who put the time out on the water will eventually figure that out on their own.
toptech

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah thats why Nick P. doesnt post anymore....

Just playin Nick. Where have you been though seriously...?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toptech wrote:
Yeah thats why Nick P. doesnt post anymore....

Just playin Nick. Where have you been though seriously...?

Don't know what happened but didn't he all of a sudden start selling all his fishing stuff a little while back? IMO that's kind of extreme, hope nothing bad happened!!??
toptech

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never saw it for sale on here...I remember someone talking about selling all their stuff but I think it was Tralli if Im not mistaken

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tralli did too but he was going to the darkside...saltwater. But I remember Nick posting that he was selling his stuff too. Just wondering if he's still fishing??
Bluegill Terminator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No pics???
Flipper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have pics, but it seems like the insert image button doesn't work (or I don't know how to use it). I'll try again when I have more time. Any advice on how to attach pics?

By the way, I didn't think that not revealing the name of the lake would be a big deal. I did not intend to offend anybody. I'm just trying to share my experiences and help other fisherman catch fish. What I don't need is more fishing pressure and boating traffic on the small body of water that I fish. Besides, I have not seen 1 post about pike on this website, so why would any of you even care? My suggestion would be if you don't like my posts...........don't read them! Otherwise I can just read other posts and not post myself. Would that be better? Maybe people should just lighten up.

I give the date, time of day, what I was using, the depth, cover/structure, and everything else I can think of to help others catch fish. You can find your own body of water to apply these methods if you want. I do not want more competition for the particular fish I am catching. Is that not understandable? Is the info I give not enough? Are you telling me not to post unless I give the name of the lake I am fishing? Sounds pretty stupid to me. I usually do anyway, just not this particular time.

By the way...........................it was Hopeville Pond.

Happy?
slimecoat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, I guess we struck a nerve.

Every report of yours gives great information. All 22 posts!

Do what you want, but your argument holds no water!

As you said yourself, not too many people fish exclusively for Pike, so why post a secret lake report?

Frankly I could care less! But a lot of guys that came here from the "other site" left for a few basic reasons, one of them was the constant Lake X reports which are crap!

We don't want to see that get out of control here.........

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant wait to fish hopeville!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just kiddin.
On twenty-pound test "
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flipper wrote:
I do have pics, but it seems like the insert image button doesn't work (or I don't know how to use it). I'll try again when I have more time. Any advice on how to attach pics?

By the way, I didn't think that not revealing the name of the lake would be a big deal. I did not intend to offend anybody. I'm just trying to share my experiences and help other fisherman catch fish. What I don't need is more fishing pressure and boating traffic on the small body of water that I fish. Besides, I have not seen 1 post about pike on this website, so why would any of you even care? My suggestion would be if you don't like my posts...........don't read them! Otherwise I can just read other posts and not post myself. Would that be better? Maybe people should just lighten up.

I give the date, time of day, what I was using, the depth, cover/structure, and everything else I can think of to help others catch fish. You can find your own body of water to apply these methods if you want. I do not want more competition for the particular fish I am catching. Is that not understandable? Is the info I give not enough? Are you telling me not to post unless I give the name of the lake I am fishing? Sounds pretty stupid to me. I usually do anyway, just not this particular time.

By the way...........................it was Hopeville Pond.

Happy?

I was considering going to Hopeville today before I even read your post. I was looking specifically for a place with a low speed limit & clean (safe to swim in) water, that isn't Lower Bolton. You're lucky I woke up late because otherwise your precious pike would be all mine. Razz

Upload photos to an online image host first, then link to them using the html buttons above. Make sure each link has an opening and closing tag.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
MSM07

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fished hopeville this year for the first time with me friend in the spring, caught my first and only pike of my life, was 30 inches. I saw the camp grounds there, how is camping there? How much a night?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: