CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater Reports
Viewing Topic: The Race - 6/4 Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: The Race - 6/4 Reply with quote

Some people I work with as well as Phil (PECo) and Mark (Mep21) all went out last night from 4pm to 9pm on the Sunbeam VI charter boat for a striper/blue trip. We left the docks at about 4pm and started fishing jigs at about 5pm. The winds were blowing about 20mph or so when we first left the docks but luckily the winds were diminishing through the night.

Captain Matt got us on the fish and kept us on them the whole time. We brought home 40 blues and 6 keeper stripers with the largest striper being just over 34 inches. We probably let another dozen or so fish go after we had all the blues we wanted.

I ended up boating my first ever striper which was around 29 inches. It was a great trip and I will definitely be doing this one again.

We had great weather and a much calmer ride on the way back in. I couldn't have asked for a better time. I'm sure Mark and Phil will add some more/better pics once they get a chance to chime in.

Last edited by DirtyDawg10 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You going to ruin Phil for catching those little panfish if you start taking him out there! Laughing Glad you had a good night.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
predator1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like a great trip,great pics as well
mep21

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really a great trip. Weather couldn't have been much nicer. I was lucky enough to catch both the 1st and last striper of the day. First one was right around 30 inches or so and the last one in the picture below was 33. This was my first time saltwater fishing in CT and I gotta say I really enjoyed it. Some of those bigger blues put up quite the fight.

[/img]
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...those blues really don't like having a hook in their lip.
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, I'd like to give a shout out to the Sunbeam VI, and Captain Matt and the mate, Captain Ryan, who made our trip a success and a blast. Here they are, giving our group a pre-trip briefing:

That's Captain Matt on the step and Captain Ryan with his back to the camera on the right. Sorry about that, Captain Ryan. Wink The Sunbeam VI is part of the Sunbeam Fleet at Captain John's Dock in Waterford, CT:

http://www.sunbeamfleet.com/

Our charter was from 4:00 pm to 9:00 pm. With about an hour of travel time out to The Race each way, we had about three hours of fishing time. Captain Matt would maneuver the boat over a school of fish, we'd drop diamond jigs to the bottom and them we'd jig them off of the bottom until we drifted past the school. Here are Derek and Mark at the start of the trip:

The tide was coming in and the wind was blowing out of the east at 20 to 25 miles per hour, so our trip out was a little bit rough:

Luckily, the wind dropped throughout the evening. Very Happy While Derek caught his first ever striper, and Mark caught the first and last stripers, I caught the two smallest stripers Rolling Eyes, which were 26 and 28 inches long. Laughing Yes, Captain Ryan was careful to not gaff the 26 incher, and then he measured and released it. And, yes, Derek, Mark and I caught four of our group's six keeper stripers. Cool Although Mark caught the first striper, I actually boated the first fish, which was a bluefish:

At the end of the day, Captain Matt suggested that we try fishing topwater for a while. Two people at a time would snap a skirted jig with a pork trailer. Here's Derek battling his first ever striper:

And here's a video of Mark's epic battle:

Link

I had a great time and would definitely do it again. Thanks for the invite, Derek.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any gators?
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn. I thought Mark must have had a marlin or something on there! Laughing What are you going to do now that you've caught real bass? Looks like you all had a blast. We used to have a group that put on a Bluefish Bash with the Sunbeam fleet. It went away the last two years as a few jobs changed, kids came, etc. I might be interested in doing it again later in the season if there is enough interest (8-20 people).

Link

If anyone was worried about the number of fish taken, we were fishing for a local foodbank as well as those kept by guys on the trip!
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...fishing from the chair was a lot tougher than it looked. Not only were we fighting the fish but we were also fighting the boat moving at trolling speed. I would do it again in a minute!
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
Any gators?

We caught some big blues too. I had two or three that were almost as big as the striper I caught. Only a few inches shorter probably but we never measured length on the blues.
RobO

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw man.. Where was I???

Looks like you guys had a great time. Next time you go, make sure you get a hold of me..

Personally I hate snapping wire (fishing parachute jigs from the chair). It stinks having to snap the wire and then catching a fish (blue) and fighting it for 200 yards of wire all while the boat continues to move. It can really wear you out!

I would rather diamond jig or buck-tail jig.

Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobO wrote:
Personally I hate snapping wire (fishing parachute jigs from the chair). It stinks having to snap the wire and then catching a fish (blue) and fighting it for 200 yards of wire all while the boat continues to move. It can really wear you out!

I would rather diamond jig or buck-tail jig.

Amen, Rob.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, here's one more video:

Link

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please kill MORE bluefish !!! I hate them !
Let the stripes go !!!

Looks like a fun day !

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree RobO. I'm glad we tried it and I caught my first striper on it but I'd much rather jig them up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: