CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: umbrella rig Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firepolock

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: umbrella rig Reply with quote

has anyone tried these? whats your take on it?
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Umbrella rigs have been used for decades (used one as a kid and I'm 63 now) and the Alabama rig is similar.
Rigs simulate a school of bait fish!

Very effective on Stripe Bass!

SeaDog1
CT_BASSman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like throwing a 3-5 oz lure on a long stiff swimbait rod all day on 65 pound braid and a monster Curado 300 reel.

Hands down it's really crazy but it WORKS, amazing. End of story. Very Happy
firepolock

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx for the replies.

and ya, i meant to put bama rig

just didnt know how they worked here in ct, and ya i know a body of water is a body of water, just that the pros on shows using them are fishing HUGE bodies of water. didnt know if it was worth using the rig on our "farm ponds" here in CT
rvolkers

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: U rigs Reply with quote

i think that if you consider yourself a FISHERMAN not a catcher of fish "the answer is pretty clear" ! MY take is this - i have used them for years when our goal was to catch a bunch of blues and NOT FISH! I see no sport in these at all in freshwater fishing! MANY states and organizations are banning them! NOW that is just me - i love to fish any kind of fishing! BUT also consider myself a purest at heart! I FISH FOR THE LOVE OF THE CHALLENGE and THE OUTDOORS not just to reel in fish!

BUT HEY - what ever floats your boat! just don't bring one of those IN MINE! Twisted Evil
perfect hook set

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

works awesome with spinner baits attached to it

Laughing Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first off, lay off dude, and relax. i didnt say anthing about using the damn thing. and i know about the states and tourneys banning them. im not some newbie that started yesterday, thank you.

and im also about the challenge, the anger of not catching any makes me want to catch even more
perfect hook set

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we all need to go out more often and catch more fish, every one is getting so angry these days.....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: U rigs Reply with quote

rvolkers wrote:
i think that if you consider yourself a FISHERMAN not a catcher of fish "the answer is pretty clear" ! MY take is this - i have used them for years when our goal was to catch a bunch of blues and NOT FISH! I see no sport in these at all in freshwater fishing! MANY states and organizations are banning them! NOW that is just me - i love to fish any kind of fishing! BUT also consider myself a purest at heart! I FISH FOR THE LOVE OF THE CHALLENGE and THE OUTDOORS not just to reel in fish!

BUT HEY - what ever floats your boat! just don't bring one of those IN MINE! Twisted Evil

People on this site really make me laugh, no idea where comments like these even come from Rolling Eyes
chuckc
Forum Police

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what the big deal is over this lure. Just because you buy an A-Rig doesn't mean you'll catch more fish. You still have to find the fish and know how and when to use it. Until they ban I'll be throwing this one:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^Awesome, lol! I threw one a bit the last couple times out, but have been way more successful with a spinnerbait. Maybe I should go to 5 mini spinners and hang on for the ride?
perfect hook set

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its just the "new" thing....
even though its not new at all....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I am interpreting what I read correctly it would be illegal to have more than 3 hooks on an umbrella rig in CT, is that correct? From the DEEP Anglers Guide:
ANGLING Fishing with hook and line, which must be personally
attended. No more than two lines, with or without rods, may be used
at one time. Each line may have any combination of hooks, flies or lures,
of which a maximum of three hooks may be baited.
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigEd - Are you trying to start another fight? Laughing This question has inspired a lot of arguments on this site. The bottom line is that you can use as many hooks as you want, but up to only three of them may be baited. Baits are animal or plant (e.g., chunk bunker, shiners, salmon eggs, corn, etc.). Artificials (e.g., Gulp!) are not baits.
Forum Police

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigEd wrote:
If I am interpreting what I read correctly it would be illegal to have more than 3 hooks on an umbrella rig in CT, is that correct? From the DEEP Anglers Guide:
ANGLING Fishing with hook and line, which must be personally
attended. No more than two lines, with or without rods, may be used
at one time. Each line may have any combination of hooks, flies or lures,
of which a maximum of three hooks may be baited.

That's for bait not artifical lures: Definition of bait in the anglers guide:

Bait: Any animal or vegetable, or their parts, living or dead, used with a hook for the purpose of attracting and catching fish. Any fish legally acquired, except largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, chain pickerel, northern pike, trout, salmon, carp and goldfish my be used as bait.

The DEEP already released a statement saying you could use an umbrella rig with as many lures as you would like but still only 2 lines at a time. SO in theory that funny looking lure I posted above would be legal in CT.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: