CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Housatonic? Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RLoutdoors

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Housatonic? Reply with quote

Anyone finding any schoolies? Fished from Shore last Saturday afternoon near Sunnyside for a few hours without a bite. Saw 2 guys fishing from kayaks but didn't see any action their way either.

I'm gonna drop my whaler in this weekend, but do you think it's better to go upriver or downriver? The weekend previous I was hearing great reports, now nothing?
Sea Duck

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always assumed that a lack of reports is pretty informative. Unless of course the weather is bad. River will be a mess for at least a few days..assuming the rain ever stops.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Q is hot
RLoutdoors

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I searched the forums and saw PECo's link to the Town Clerk of Shelton and the fees and paperwork needed, but I'm not gonna have time to do that between today and tomorrow.

Does anyone know if there is an "offseason" where they don't require permits to launch @ Sunnyside?
LUNKERBASSERFISHING

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O'Sullivans Island under Rt 8 bridge in Derby.
Not a great ramp, but I get in and out with my 16ft. Keep eye on tide and try to avoid dead dead low to get in and out. Stay parallel to bridge until you get in channel and head downstream. When you see the fleet there this wknd, that's where the fish are.
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There used to be a window between January 1 and April of each year before the Sunnyside boat launch permits for the current year became available. That is no longer the case; permits are now always required. I'm sure that the Clerk for the City of Shelton will have permits for 2015 available for sale sometime in December.

The last time I got out on the water was Friday, December 5. Although there were scattered schools of fish everywhere between Two Mile Island and O'Sullivan's Island, Dan1 (aka Dan) and I had a lot of trouble getting them to bite:

However, I DID catch a tagged schoolie:

I sent the tag to the tiny little address printed on its side. I'll follow up after I hear back about it.

Others did a lot better than we. Of course, "others" includes RichZ. As far as fishing reports from the lower Housy go, his bass blog is required reading. He and his buddy JimFish caught 306, today:

http://www.richz.com/fishing/blog/[list=][/list]

Last edited by PECo on Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
striperswiper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So utilizing the 9% mortality rate associated with catch and release, this clown Rich z killed almost 30 striped bass today.....completely unnecessary.
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

striperswiper wrote:
So utilizing the 9% mortality rate associated with catch and release, this clown Rich z killed almost 30 striped bass today.....completely unnecessary.

I must be an idiot also. Except I haven't seen a striper floating yet. Except the one that became Blue Fish Fodder! Your math or sources are way off! Considering the amount of boats that fish catch and release in the river there must be a lot of idiots. Yet "NO FLOATING STRIPERS."

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite the best intentions of anglers practicing catch and release angling for striped bass, the mortality rate associated with this practice is not trivial. The Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission currently applies an 8% hooking mortality rate for striped bass caught and released by recreational anglers in saltwater ecosystems (ASMFC 2011).

It's the standard catch and release mortality percentage utilized by ASMFC. There are numerous studies which outline a higher mortality rate. Just because you don't see them floating away doesn't mean they don't die from the experience.
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

striperswiper wrote:

been saying that for a while. dude unknowingly kills hundreds of schoolies a winter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R you guys really trying to tell us you eat everything you catch, never were in a tournament I CALL BS
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crest Daddy wrote:
striperswiper wrote:

been saying that for a while. dude unknowingly kills hundreds of schoolies a winter

Show me! I'm on the river every week and have not found one dead striper! Facts Please! I guess all the studies UCONN and the DEEP perform are worthless. Obviously the striper Phil caught with the tag was caught and released. No mortality there.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What studies on mortality rate have been performed by CT DEEP or UConn for Striped Bass?
I would also cite Diodati and Richards: Mortality of Striped Bass hooked and released in Saltwater. The ASMFC study is titled Striped Bass Stock assessment update 2011.

So some guy releases a fish w a tag on it; can you be certain that fish did not die from that hooking and release? Just because the fish doesn't float away doesn't mean it doesn't die 15 minutes later.
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

striperswiper wrote:
What studies on mortality rate have been performed by CT DEEP or UConn for Striped Bass?
I would also cite Diodati and Richards: Mortality of Striped Bass hooked and released in Saltwater. The ASMFC study is titled Striped Bass Stock assessment update 2011.

So some guy releases a fish w a tag on it; can you be certain that fish did not die from that hooking and release? Just because the fish doesn't float away doesn't mean it doesn't die 15 minutes later.

Read the DEEP and UCONN published studies. Do a little research. I'm not going to do it for you.

Considering I'm on the river for 8 to 10 hours multiple times a year when I am there along with 50 other boats which would put the number of fisherman at about 100 catching 50+ each, not including the shore fisherman, I have yet to see one striper die! Period.

Stop reading and start fishing! Then your facts will be straight. The tagged fish obviously didn't die on his first catch when the tag was inserted.

So you can site every study you wish. When you stop using the internet for your info and get on the water to practice you'll quickly see that your info, regardless of written by who is way off. But then again your info is from the internet. "It Must Be True."

So in conclusion, I can't out class the internet information. You keep searching for the info. I'll be on the river fishing testing your theories and enjoying every minute I'm doing it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to actual reports...

Saturday. Fished around two mile island early for a few hours. Small scattered schools. around 40 fish. Biggest @ 24"

Sunday. Fished S of Sunnyside for 2 hours in the afternoon. Same results. All on 1/2oz jigheads and various soft plastics.

Total for the weekend a little under 100 fish between two of us. All fished released as healthy as they came out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: