CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: Shimano Rod Warranty Service
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Shimano Rod Warranty Service Reply with quote

Well, I broke three more of my Shimano rods. Confused Here's my post from the last three that I sent in:

http://www.ctfishtalk.com/shimano-rod-warranty-service-t11854.html#.UsGg7I2A200

I'm pleased to report that, once again, Shimano honored the lifetime replacement warranty on the three rods that I broke (i.e., a Crucial, a Compre and a Clarus), and got them back to me fairly quickly and with no fuss. I just filled out a Rod Warranty Form from the shimano.com website ( http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/customer_service0/Rod_Warranty.html ) for each broken rod and sent them in with the rods, which I cut in half to fit into a 42 inch long shipping tube. Shipping by FedEx Ground cost me less than $12. Shimano didn't charge me anything.

You might be thinking that Shimano rods are really fragile, but, no, I'm just a clumsy oaf. Rolling Eyes

And if anyone needs rod shipping tubes, I have a bunch of them, now. If you need any, please let me know. I really hate clutter, but would hate to just throw them in the recycling bin.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang Phil, tale it easy on your rods man!!!!! LOL

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
Aroz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear they honored their warranty. I love Shimano products and now have even more confidence in them if they ever do fail. Worth the money in my opinion.
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I broke two Clarus medium heavy rods, yesterday! Crying or Very sad The two I use for striper fishing. Not through use, but stupidity and clumsiness. Rolling Eyes At this rate, Shimano is going to blackball me. . . . Confused

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
I broke two Clarus medium heavy rods, yesterday! Crying or Very sad The two I use for striper fishing. Not through use, but stupidity and clumsiness. Rolling Eyes At this rate, Shimano is going to blackball me. . . . Confused

Shocked or Rolling Eyes or Laughing Not really sure Question
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Laughing
fishfinder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive never heard of anyone breaking as many rods as you and Im pretty rough on them! Did you step on them in the boat?

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfinder wrote:
Ive never heard of anyone breaking as many rods as you and Im pretty rough on them! Did you step on them in the boat?

Must be like my brother. Set a rod down and he's guaranteed to step on it, and when he does, it's f*%ked! I'm 6' and 265 and look small next to him. It's impossible to get a shot of him holding a fish that doesn't look like a guppy.

PECo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, Shimano has changed its rod warranty:
Quote:
Limited Lifetime Warranty Rods

Effective August 1, 2014 the warranty on all Shimano rods is changing to a Limited One Year warranty. Please note that we will honor the limited lifetime warranty on all rods purchased prior to August 1, 2014.
To make a claim on a Shimano rod that was purchased with a limited lifetime warranty, please send your rod postage prepaid to Shimano. To request a warranty claim in Canada, send your rod postage prepaid to Shimano Canada Ltd. / LTÉE. All warranty requests must be accompanied by a valid dated sales receipt and a note describing the difficulty you are experiencing with the rod in as much detail as possible.
Rods sold prior to August 1, 2014 with a limited lifetime warranty are:
ATL, CL "A" Series, CLC/CLS, CNC/CNS, CPC/CPS "A" & "B" Series, CRC/CRS, CSC/CSS, CUC/CUS, CVC/CVS, IGFA, PCF,
SFS, TDR w/2 digit numbered models, TEC/TES, TFC/TFS, TLA, TLC/ TLS/ULC, TLI/TLR/TLT, TMC/TMS, TRC/TRS, TSC/TSS, TVC/TVS, TZC/TZS, ULC, V-RODS, VTS/VTC
THIS LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY ONLY COVERS DAMAGE TO THE ROD RESULTING FROM A NON-CONFORMITY IN MATERIAL OR WORKMANSHIP; ANY DAMAGE CAUSED BY MISUSE, ABUSE OR TAMPERING WITH THE ROD BY OTHER THAN NORMAL USE OF THE ROD; OR ANY NON-CONFORMITY OR DAMAGE RESULTING FROM REPAIRS PERFORMED OTHER THAN BY SHIMANO OR AN AUTHORIZED SHIMANO SERVICE PROVIDER IS NOT COVERED.

I'm about to send three in for replacement. I'll post when I hear back from Shimano.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to you! Laughing
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent four broken rods to Shimano in Irvine, California, for replacement under its Lifetime Limited Warranty: three Clarus spinning and one Crucial spinning. All were purchased before Shimano changed its Lifetime Limited Warranty to a One Year Limited Warranty. I was able to stuff all four cut-in-half rods into a four inch diameter shipping tube that was 37 inches long and it cost me $17 using UPS Ground Shipping.

On Monday, a representative from Shimano called me. He said that Shimano would replace the three Clarus rods under warranty. All three had broken near the tip of the rod. However, he said that the breakage on the Crucial rod indicated it had been crushed closer to the reel seat, which would not be covered under warranty. He explained that although a broken rod tip might indicate a brittle rod blank, a crushed rod indicated accidental user breakage. I told him that while I'm not certain how or when the Crucial rod was broken, it might have gotten caught under a cleat on the gunwale of my boat. He said, "Yeap, been there, done that, too." He also said that since I was candid about how it might have been broken, he'd go ahead and replace it for me under the Lifetime Limited Warranty. Whoo hoo!

I asked why Shimano changed its rod warranty policy from a Lifetime Limited Warranty to a One Year Limited Warranty. The rep said that the Lifetime Limited Warranty was always intended to cover only breakage due to manufacturing or materials defects. Since those typically show themselves within the first year of use, the appropriate length for the warranty is really only one year. He said that Shimano would routinely receive 10 to 15 year old rods for warranty service that obviously didn't break due to any manufacturing or materials defect. However, he pointed me to Shimano's Express Rod Service Plan, under which you can replace Shimano rods that break for any reason for only half of the Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price (MSRP). And Shimano even pays for the shipping, both ways! You call them and pay for the replacement rod, and they'll ship it to you by FedEx 2-Day Priority Shipping. After you receive it, you put your broken rod in the shipping tube, stick the provided fully-paid return label on it and have FedEx ship it back to them. That works for me! Here's more information about it:

http://fish.shimano.com/content/sac-fish/en/home/customer-service/shimano-rod-services/_jcr_content/bodycontent/content5050/leftcontent/download/downloadFile/file.res/Shimano%20EXPRESS%20Rod%20Service.pdf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see company stand behind their products. Especially for things that they shouldn't even cover (like physical damage).

PS. I broke # of my rods (tips) too.....never thought of returning them though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: