CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: New baitcasting reel Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: New baitcasting reel Reply with quote

I just purchased my first baitcasting reel after using spinning reels my whole life. I wanted to try one out. I got the Cabela's Prodigy baitcaster which is essentially the Daiwa TD Advantage reel, made by Daiwa for Cabela's. It is a very nice reel and is super smooth. The only problem is I suck at casting with it...lol. I've been practicing in the back yard the last couple of nights and it is tougher than I thought it would be. I have adjusted the anti-backlash to the weight of my practice lure. I can get a decent cast about 1/2 the time.

My question is do any of you have any tips or tricks and/or how long will it take me to be able to get more consistent casts with this reel?
slimecoat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirty Dawg, it just takes practice, years of practice to be super efficient. I still get back lashes from time to time, especially casting into the wind. Then about a month ago when Justin Tralli had an issue with his equiptment being locked up at his Grandmothers house and he couldn't get to it, he used my baitcaster set up at the Lilli tournament we fished. I had everything set where I wanted it, and he changed the settings on it to suit him, so when I fished my next tournament with Pointing dog, the first 5 casts I made with my spinnerbait, I had terrible backlashes and pointing dog was giving me tons of shit calling me an amateur and other names I can't use here, until I finally remembered that Justin had used my combo and messed with all the settings. I had a few choice words for him that morning, so keep casting and getting a feel for the reel, and adjust the settings on the spool speed as well as the brakes, and before long you'll be doing fine.

The next time you go out fun fishing, just take that 1 rod, and force yourself to throw it again and again and again.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirtydog,

I was in the same situation when I started using a bait caster 4 years ago.

What I learned was to first put backing on your reel, this will save you $$ on expensive line. Second, let out some line, only as much as your best cast.

Once the line is out, take some electrical tape and put 1 or 2 wraps around the spool. Then reel up the line, this is for when you cast and you get a bird nest, that the bird nest stops at the tape and doesn't go down deep.

As I cast, I always leave my thumb on the spool very lightly so I can adjust the speed and distance.

Remember to balance you weight (spinner bait, jig etc) to the speed in which the line comes off. You want it so the line just barely spools off when you release the bail.

Lastly, Practice all the time. I made a point of each night to make 100 cast.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely keep practicing and adjusting the settings to suit me. The duct tape trick sounds like a good one I'll have to try. You gotta love any trick that involves duct tape.

Here's what my evenings sound like lately...

Cast...Doh!...Cast...Doh!...Cast...FU%#!!!...Cast...Nice!...Cast...Meh...Cast...Doh!...Cast...FU%#!!!...etc...etc...

you get the picture.
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would learn with a heavy weight. Also, line qualitity is extremely important. You will get the hang of it. I felt the same way.

Justin
dave_376

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 turn brakes/ magnets off
2. tignten cast control knob
3. loosen cast control knob until bait just starts to drop from the tip of your rod when in free spool. (if your having lots of issues...more tension..... then only loosen it until your bait falls when you jiggle the rod)
4 turn brakes/ magnets on full

as you get better you can loosen up on the control knob and reduce the brakes/magnets

i learned with 30 lb braid and it was much easier of me. Some people say mono is easier, but which ever you choose too use remember, the thicker the diameter, the easier it is. 15 - 20 lbs mono, new high quality line and some kvd line spray might also help

the tape trick is great but don't use duct (too much adhesive), only use black electrical tape
Old Mud

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap guys !!, lots of good info. here (i think) I have no idea but it all sounds so logical to me. i would try those tips with my 130st's but i can't pick them up. Shocked Shocked JK. I like when guys will share intel. especially when somebody understands what your talking about. Kudos guys. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

All that truly matters in the end is that you LOVED !!!!
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the day off tomorrow so hopefully I can get in a few hundred casts before the day is out. Maybe even a fish or two. Thanks for all the great info fellas.
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found out my problem was the weight I was using was only a 3/16oz and when I went heavier the reel worked like a charm. I also tried throwing some soft plastic worms and again everything was working great. Turning up the anti-backlash all the way at first and then slowly backing it down as my casts improved was key.
stumpy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also what size line are you using, dont use anything less than 10# test, starting out heavier line would be better to practice with.

i also have 1 prodigy reel. for the money they are great reels.
stumpy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also check out this link

http://pages.infinit.net/fishing/bait101.htm
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. I'm using 14# fluorocarbon right now.
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how does the floro work on a bait caster? I used it for the first time on 2 different spining reels and found it to be kind or hard to handle. It didn't seem to want to stay on the spool, it kept springing off. Also, I noticed I couldn't cast as far. Having said that, I loved the sensitivity and the low visibility.

Justin
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first started practicing with the baitcaster I was using the cheapo 8# mono that came with the reel. Once I got a bit more comfortable I put on the 14# fluoro and I find the fluoro to be much more manageable than the mono. I'm using the Berkley Vanish line.
Just4fun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the Vanish to practice with,..but when you start fishing, get rid of it!! It breaks way too easily and for no apparent reason!
Stay away from expensive/exotic lines until you get a lot more comfortable casting,..
I'd suggest regular mono such as Trilene XT ,.....it is a cheap line but still a very good one! Years ago, it was the standard of excellence in baitcasting lines,..and there are a lot of excellent fishermen that still use it today! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: