CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Fishing Tournaments
Viewing Topic: Aren't May tournaments a little iffy? Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vudak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Aren't May tournaments a little iffy? Reply with quote

Hey all,

I'm curious when bass in CT tend to spawn. I'd assume it would be around May. If this assumption is right, is it really the best idea to schedule tournaments for this time? Wouldn't it be better to wait until the spawn is well over with?

I understand that these tournaments are catch and release. My question is, do you understand what happens to the nests without mom or dad around to guard them? My opinion is that a bass caught during the spawn should be released as soon as possible right where it was caught - not kept in a livewell for several hours to be released at a centralized location.

I understand this is a can of worms but I think this is something we should discuss.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this conversation many times. While I would never tell someone else to not target largemouth bass on beds, I probably wouldn't do it myself. I must confess that I have caught a bass or two in the past by throwing a lure at a cloud of bass fry in the water. However, it just doesn't seem very sporting to me.

Oh, man! I'm gonna get slaughtered in tournaments during spawning season, aren't I? Confused

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying not to fish during the spawn, or even not to target bass... But to remove bass for several hours, weigh them in, and then toss them back God knows how far from the beds... That, to me, seems very short sighted.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Aren't May tournaments a little iffy? Reply with quote

Vudak wrote:
Hey all,

I'm curious when bass in CT tend to spawn. I'd assume it would be around May. If this assumption is right, is it really the best idea to schedule tournaments for this time? Wouldn't it be better to wait until the spawn is well over with?

I understand that these tournaments are catch and release. My question is, do you understand what happens to the nests without mom or dad around to guard them? My opinion is that a bass caught during the spawn should be released as soon as possible right where it was caught - not kept in a livewell for several hours to be released at a centralized location.

I understand this is a can of worms but I think this is something we should discuss.

I'm curious when bass in CT tend to spawn. I'd assume it would be around May.
Thats partially true though it varies in some lakes / res / ponds. Bass in some lakes may spawn late april while others may spawn in late may!
Sometimes bass will spawn at one time in one part of the lake and others spawn at a different time in that same lake.

Wouldn't it be better to wait until the spawn is well over with?
Some anglers like fishing tourneys for as much as they can through the year, People also dont mind fishing for bedding bass.
See the FLW tour okeechobee tourney where MANY of the anglers fished bed. Big bass comes from and around beds so it can be fun!

My question is, do you understand what happens to the nests without mom or dad around to guard them?
I am kind of with you on this one but, there has been many studies where most of the release bass found their way back to the nest.
Now their eggs are open for predator fish to eat up the un hatched fish correct...
Most tourney lakes havent seen a decline in the amount of fish caught even after they have been flooded with anglers hitting beds

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Aren't May tournaments a little iffy? Reply with quote

Quote:
Thats partially true though it varies in some lakes / res / ponds. Bass in some lakes may spawn late april while others may spawn in late may!
Sometimes bass will spawn at one time in one part of the lake and others spawn at a different time in that same lake.

That is why on Lake Champlain, for example, bass fishing is catch & release only until mid June. Then again, Lake Champlain is a major source of income for an economically starved region, and it makes sense for them to do all they can to protect that source of income. Here, our lakes are just a place to kill a few hours. You won't find people shelling out hundreds of dollars to fish our lakes, and I don't believe that this is entirely due to the relative sizes of the waterways. The people of VT and NY spend considerable time making Lake Champlain a better place to fish, and it is a better place to fish because of their efforts.

Quote:
Some anglers like fishing tourneys for as much as they can through the year, People also dont mind fishing for bedding bass.
See the FLW tour okeechobee tourney where MANY of the anglers fished bed. Big bass comes from and around beds so it can be fun!

1. I'm sure some anglers would love to take Trout year-round from any river. We tend to value trout as a resource here, and don't permit that in most places. We should also value bass.

2. I'm not telling anyone not to fish for bedding bass. It is fun. But I do see a world of difference between catching a bass and letting it go immediately, and catching a bass and sticking it in the livewell for 8 hours while its nest is ravaged by bluegill.

Quote:

am kind of with you on this one but, there has been many studies where most of the release bass found their way back to the nest.
Now their eggs are open for predator fish to eat up the un hatched fish correct...
Most tourney lakes havent seen a decline in the amount of fish caught even after they have been flooded with anglers hitting beds

3. What good is a fish finding its way back to an empty nest? Removing them from their nest for an extended period of time is wrong, period.

4. I can't imagine your last sentence is sustainable. At least not if we all buy the oft-repeated cliches of taking kids fishing and growing the sport.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go.. Well first of all, the fish will spawn at different times,, there is a temp where they really get excited, but not all of them,,And its a very short window,, and believe me not all fish will be caught while spawning,, Do I agree with bed fishing,,,, NO! But in a tourny I definetly will,, In the years spent with the studies of bed fishing,, they really cant tell, As far as what Im told, It does not hurt the fishery,, most fry dont survive, This is a touchy subject,,, CT does not close bass fishing due to the spawn like NY does,, thats why we have alot of tournys with guys from NY in April and May, because I believe their year doesnt start until mid June,, They pound, and I mean pound Candlewood Lake, and Candlewood still produces great #ers of fish a year,, never mind all the CT clubs in CT fishing the spawn,, Now somewhere like Champlain,,, PLEASE, I bet most of spawning bass arent even seen,, I bet most of the bass never seen a lure,, I couldnt imagine how many bass are in there,, I do realize this will cause a controversy, and it always does,,But it is what it is,, if the state saw a drastic change in the fishery they would have taken action,, but for the studies in recent years, there doesnt seem to be a problem,,, I heard a couple years ago that the state of NY was thinking about changing some bass rules with fishing,, out in NY,, I would be more concerned with the birds eating lead,,, which they are.. Enough said, I am not going to get involved or argue with anybody about this,, there are no FACTS that bed fishing hurts the population, If we saw a decline in the fishery then I would be totally for suspending the late April early May fishing,, but like I said,,, there are no facts,, and our fishing is GREAT.. Thats like saying,, get the Bass out of the trout lakes, Like hell,, thats where we catch our biggest bass,, We stock those fish(trout) and our bass LOVE them,,As for sunfish raiding the nests,, they do that even when bass are guarding the nest,, How many times have you seen a bass on a bed,,, then you see 4 sunfish surrounding it,,, what do you think,,,, Having a party???Heck no,,, there eating very well.. Put it this way,, how many eggs or fry actually make it,,, I will tell you what,,, not many,, but with the amount of bass there always is a good # that do,,,, considering...

Last edited by flippy on Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
skeeterjohn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flippy youre absolootly right.
Vudak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flippy,

I don't think you appreciate the amount of conservation effort that goes into keeping Lake Champlain running year by year. They truly work to preserve that resource. I don't see the same kind of attitude or effort for our lakes, and my theory is that our lakes aren't necessary for our region's economic survival. Tourism is huge up there, and a big part of that is Lake Champlain.

I guess how "great" our fishing is in comparison would be subjective... We'll leave it at that I guess.

I've still yet to hear a good reason for allowing tournaments at this time. So far, we've got:

1. It's fun;
2. The pros do it on Okeechobee
3. There's no proof it hurts

The first two barely count (what's next? "my grandpa did it"?) and #3 is only relevant if the study is particularly for Connecticut. Even then, it is not sustainable.

The bottom line is that for the vast majority of the year you can borrow a bass for a few hours without having to worry about doing your small bit to hurt the ecosystem. The spawn is the exception. If you believe in giving more than lip service to conservation, you can wait a few weeks to try and win a tournament.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vudak we all understand what you're saying. But lets be serious, everyone on this website is a conservationist of him/her ownself. We fish,camp,hike or hunt because we love the outdoors and enjoy the beauty that this great state has to offer. All these resources are at are grasp and we take the opportunity to use them. Keep fishing and enjoy it, don't give yourself a migrane over fishing during the spawn. Japan just had a 8.9 earthquake and Tsunami, let's be serious there are more worse things to be worried about.
We are all true/proud Sportsmen of CT.

Have a great fishing season, I know I will.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: spawn Reply with quote

I am not sure that the NY law to not posses a bass until June is specific to Champlain, is it? I think it is a statewide law. While I normally don't specifically target bedding bass, I do it and don't have any ill will for those that do. To sustain a fishery as it is today, each bass has to have ONE fry mature for each bass in a lake....over it's lifetime. One....note that bass lay numerous eggs each year. With catch and release, there are many lakes that are over populated with small bass that have stunted growth due to population. Ray Scott did such a good job of preaching catch and release that in some cases it has hurt overall bass growth. Also note that tournaments have catch limits...so only 5 can go to the weigh in site (others are transported and culled all over the lakes) But 5 released have a chance to spawn another day...as opposed to the skillet....any time bass make it to the table, they never make another nest. Here is a link to one study on the subject. Search online and I am sure you can find one that is more in line with your thoughts.

http://blogs.courierpostonline.com/fishhead/2010/08/16/study-catching-spawning-bass-doesn%e2%80%99t-harm-populations/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Flippy 100% and awesome link GoBama! All very true

CT RIVER
Every Tuesday Night @ 5 p.m.
EAST HARTFORD LAUNCH
$10 Per Person
Winner Take All!
perfect hook set

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not telling anyone not to fish for bedding bass. It is fun. But I do see a world of difference between catching a bass and letting it go immediately, and catching a bass and sticking it in the livewell for 8 hours while its nest is ravaged by bluegill.

well how are yah gonna win the big bux if you throw a mama bass back in the water huh?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it's the males that guard the beds.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil!

Yeah! -> With us it's the "Honey-Do" list Exclamation Shocked
That's why the females out live us Rolling Eyes

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
perfect hook set

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I promise if you fish a bed you WILL catch a female bass.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: