CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater
Viewing Topic: Gulf Beach Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fishfinder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Gulf Beach Reply with quote

Went to Gulf beach today after work and fished for about 4 1/2 hours. Had a big blue on but wasnt smart enough to use steel leader and it chomped through my line so I reeled in all and switched over and hooked this puppy. Finally I got some good luck!!! This is with my brand new pole so maybe the other 1 was bad luck!
[/img]

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
perfect hook set

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome man..

What tide were you fishing?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incoming. low tide was like 4 and I got there around 4:30 and missed 1 on my 1st cast and then another chewed through my line about an hour later and I reeled that 1 in around 7:30 or so. A few smaller ones getting caught a little later along with some Scups.

perfect hook set

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the location of the beach / dock / pier

I looked it up online and i dont think the directions lead to the actual beach.

btw ty for the info

I know it says it closes at sunset but, do you know of any one who has fished later?

I know we've fished places after they were closed especially early am 3/4am with other random pple without much issues

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its right on Gulf Street and there is a parking lot for residents and 1 for out of towners. To fish after dark in Milford you need a permit which is free. You just need to go to the Milford town hall / Rec department and they will give you 2 copies. 1 is for you to have on you and the other for your dashboard. There is a decent pier there + a beach front + a Mill pond where the bait swim in and out of. Great place for crabbing also. Here is the DEP lnk for it.
http://www.lisrc.uconn.edu/coastalaccess/site.asp?siteid=238

DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one! Congrats!
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you eat it yet?
fishfinder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Ive been told the bigger ones are nasty and to keep only he ones around 20-25" or even smaller. I have a big bag of blues in the freezer anyway from my brother when he went on a charter a few weeks ago and I havent even tried those yet. I gave that blue to a guy on the pier after I took the pic. I would have thrown it back otherwise. Now stripers on the other hand I plan on keeping as I know I love them and so did the rest of the family. If only I could catch one. I should be meeting Mark this week for that reel if he calls me which I hope he does cause I want that reel and have the money now.

JustinSolak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluefish can be GREAT if you cook it right. Filleting em is a breeze, and you can get plenty of em. Don't get me wrong, the smaller they are, the less fishy they taste, but try these recipes b4 you dub them "nasty"

Take equal parts of Chicago Steakhouse Marinade and French Dressing. Add a little bit of Worcestershire Sauce and a good amount of Honey. Take your bluefish fillets and marinade them for 24 hours at least. The longer you do it, the better they taste. Just not long enough that they go bad. For dinner, throw all the fish and marinade in a baking pan, and bake at 350 for maybe 15-20 mins. When the fish flakes apart, its done.

Or...

Slice your fillets into smaller pieces. Not tiny, but single serving pieces. Coat em in Spicey Mustard then dip em in Italian Breadcrumbs or whatever type of breadcrumbs you wanna use. Then fry em in a pan in a little bit of hot oil or butter. I use olive oil. The mustard/breadcrumb combination when fried makes a nice crust. I do this with striper too and it's one of my favorites.

Bon Appetit

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that sounds good!

fishfinder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went again from 5-10 and nothing but snappers getting caught that were about 4 1/2". The place was loaded with people like Ive never seen too which I wasnt expecting for a Thursday but I guess with the economy theres probably a lot of people not working. Time to look elsewhere to fish.

fishingkid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you use for bait?
fishfinder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mackerel, Bunker, and squid. I went to Birds Eye dock in Stratford last night and the place was packed and nothing hitting at all. I cant stand fishing elbow to elbow especially if theres nothing there but didnt want to drive all over creation last night so ended up back at Gulf Beach around midnight and finally hooked up on a striper. Just a 22" schoolie but the first this year and of my life as I just started NA fishing this year so was pretty excited. Must have been a meteor shower last night also as I was there from 12 - 3:30 and saw about 15 shooting stars. I wished upon every one but still only caught the 1 fish!!! LOL, Well, I also did wish my new pole didnt get sucked into the water also!!!

Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha. All i caught last night was a 12" dinker smalls.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went here again from 3 am till 9 am when low tide was just too much. I fished the channel for 1 1/2 hours with not even a twitch in the line except the heavy drag from seaweed, after that I moved to the Pier and git 3 stripers, biggest one only 30". I actually caught a 10" snapper on a chunk!!!!!! Ill stick to west haven as I always catch bigger blues there. Went to a pond in Middlebury after that and caught 3 Bullheads 12"- 16". Now Im freakin beat from all that sun.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: