CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: What size line for bass fishing Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fishfinder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a noobie to bass fishing, what would be the difference to whats on the end of line meaning what you stated above with the swim bait, just because when using a swimbait your usually not running through weeds? Just picking your brains and also trying to run the site over 20 gigs again!! LOL

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
chud059

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

braid? flouro? mono? Pastuerized? homogenized? The way I see it is like this:
If you're a tourney fisherman, have a boat and can afford to have 6,7,8 different rod/reel combos with the many set ups, one with plastic worm, one with 50lb test and a jig and pig, spinnerbait etc etc etc etc more power to ya... if you're just a dude with or without a boat/canoe/kayak and have just a couple of set ups like me do what is most comfortable... if I catch a trout or bass on my 12 mono set up i'm happy with that, if I catch pike or pumpkinseed on my 6lb mono set up I'm happy with that. If I cast into a tree and my lure gets all tangled it won't matter if its 6lb test or 60lb flourobraid spiderwire! Unfortunately I cast into a lot of trees!

One thing I do know is when I do purchase or rent a water vehicle this year, I am buying a baitcasting set up with 17lb MONO. And use it accordingly, years ago it was something I was comfortable with on my Fathers boat.

Remember, it's only fishing, not brain surgery! If your're comfortable with it then just use it!
CT_BASSman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chud059 wrote:
braid? flouro? mono? Pastuerized? homogenized? The way I see it is like this:
If you're a tourney fisherman, have a boat and can afford to have 6,7,8 different rod/reel combos with the many set ups, one with plastic worm, one with 50lb test and a jig and pig, spinnerbait etc etc etc etc more power to ya... if you're just a dude with or without a boat/canoe/kayak and have just a couple of set ups like me do what is most comfortable... if I catch a trout or bass on my 12 mono set up i'm happy with that, if I catch pike or pumpkinseed on my 6lb mono set up I'm happy with that. If I cast into a tree and my lure gets all tangled it won't matter if its 6lb test or 60lb flourobraid spiderwire! Unfortunately I cast into a lot of trees!

One thing I do know is when I do purchase or rent a water vehicle this year, I am buying a baitcasting set up with 17lb MONO. And use it accordingly, years ago it was something I was comfortable with on my Fathers boat.

Remember, it's only fishing, not brain surgery! If your're comfortable with it then just use it!

Put on 50lb braid with a flouro leader ranging between 15-17lbs
perfect hook set

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

preach on chud

lol

though I must say 50lb braid as more strength to yank a small branch down OR yank your hooks from that branch =P

I am watching "the bass pros" and this guy is about to use braid in clear water for suspending bass SO SUCK THOSE EGGS!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only prefer mono for a few nighttime topwater applications (prop baits, poppers, jitterbugs, etc.) The stretch helps me avoid a premature hook set when I can't see my bait or line.

For heavy vegetation/fast retrieve/low-visibility/umbrella rig/too lazy to retie/expensive bait applications - straight braid, 50 lb.

Most of my current setups have 50lb braid with a 20 lb. fluoro leader. It sounds excessive, but it makes sense if you fish a lot of abrasive structure like rocks and stumps. I fought what would have been my PB bass for 2 minutes. She broke my 12 lb. test and my heart. Sad The 50/20 works well with what I throw the most - jigs, T-rigs, C-rigs, spinnerbaits, lipless cranks...nothing finesse.

I just started using the Alberto knot (modified Albright) for my braid to fluoro connections. If you've been using the uni to uni, you may want to consider making the switch...it will save you some time and aggravation.

Link

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For braid to fluoro, I use a J Knot:

I thought it was hard to tie until I saw that Alberto Knot. Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just check out knot wars

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
For braid to fluoro, I use a J Knot:

I thought it was hard to tie until I saw that Alberto Knot. Laughing

Hi Phil,

Yes! I like this knot, but add 2 extra turns!

SeaDog1
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil - The J knot is strong and quick, but the tag end of the fluoro runs parallel to the braid...this fluoro tag is more likely to get caught on a line guide when casting. It's fine for short leaders that don't ever get reeled past the rod tip. The Alberto is less bulky, and has no fluoro tag end coming out of the top...this makes it more suitable for long leaders. I had no trouble tying it whatsoever...after the first 8 wraps, the braid falls into the grooves nicely on the remaining 8 wraps.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the double uni if I need a leader. It doesn't come apart unless one of the lines breaks. Once you do it a couple times it's not a tough not to tie. I'm skeptical about the Alberto. The Fluoro end is only a fluoro line folded in half. I'm guessing if it is not tied perfectly (and maybe even if it is) the fluoro line may be able to pull out of that knot. Let me know how it holds up for you over a whole season.
CT_BASSman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always used the double uni for my freshwater bass fishing and never had it fail. It essence when you get down to putting up knot against knot, yes the "alberto" is better on paper, but when it comes to freshwater needs either will do just fine and the same. I personally would say the alberto knot is more geared towards saltwater applications i.e. hauling in blue fins and marlins that tip the scales. When you're just trying to haul 4-5 lb bass out of thick mats, plain and simple a double uni or J knot will do.
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDawg10 wrote:
I use the double uni if I need a leader. It doesn't come apart unless one of the lines breaks. Once you do it a couple times it's not a tough not to tie. I'm skeptical about the Alberto. The Fluoro end is only a fluoro line folded in half. I'm guessing if it is not tied perfectly (and maybe even if it is) the fluoro line may be able to pull out of that knot. Let me know how it holds up for you over a whole season.

I bet that after you tie one you won't have that concern. Try it!

DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TurtleKiss wrote:
I bet that after you tie one you won't have that concern. Try it!

Maybe I'll have to hold one of my own knot wars here in my livingroom Smile
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CT_BASSman wrote:
I have always used the double uni for my freshwater bass fishing and never had it fail. It essence when you get down to putting up knot against knot, yes the "alberto" is better on paper, but when it comes to freshwater needs either will do just fine and the same. I personally would say the alberto knot is more geared towards saltwater applications i.e. hauling in blue fins and marlins that tip the scales. When you're just trying to haul 4-5 lb bass out of thick mats, plain and simple a double uni or J knot will do.

I've never had an issue with the strength of the uni to uni. My issue is with the tag end of the fluoro catching on the line guides when casting. Ran into this problem the other day...I was on shore with with trees right behind me, limiting how much line I could let out for the cast. Had a 36" leader tied on but I could only cast reasonably well if I reeled my line in past the knot. The Alberto knot solved the problem.

CT_BASSman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fish a longer leader, and downsize the lb test of flouro to reduce the knot size. I never had a promlem with casting. I use about a 7 foot leader of 15lb flouro to 65lb braid
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: