CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: What size line for bass fishing Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CT_BASSman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And thats casting thru micro guides too might I add
JustinSolak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've always used the double uni and never had a problem either, on my bass rods, trout rods, surf rods. you name it. it's how i attach my braid to my backing, and how i tie my fluoro to my braid. never gets caught in the eyelit while casting, and hasn't failed my yet while fishing. your setup is only as strong as your weakest point, and i don't think this knot will be it. all around, a great knot. and easy to tie. that's just my opinion...

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.
CT_BASSman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustinSolak wrote:
i've always used the double uni and never had a problem either, on my bass rods, trout rods, surf rods. you name it. it's how i attach my braid to my backing, and how i tie my fluoro to my braid. never gets caught in the eyelit while casting, and hasn't failed my yet while fishing. your setup is only as strong as your weakest point, and i don't think this knot will be it. all around, a great knot. and easy to tie. that's just my opinion...

+1

Just use what you're comfortable with and what works for you basically.
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had a problem with running a J Knot through my rod guides. But, then again, I prefer to use either straight fluoro or straight braid. I definitely re-tie more often when I don't use a leader than when I use one. In case you're wondering, re-tying more often is a good thing. Wink To me, it's just easier and more convenient to re-tie when I don't have to mess with a leader.

Last edited by PECo on Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
CT_BASSman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use straight braid on my topwater rod, and straight flouro on my cranking rods and finesse spinning rods. Everything else is braid to flouro.
lamdesign

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any1 tried Yo-Zuri Hybrid line?

I picked some up recently and found that it has great sensitivity but it seems to bee very, very bouncy. Seems like it has a lot of memory because I can never seem to get my spool tight from cast to cast. I honestly thought something was wrong with my reel because, yes the sensitivity is amazing, but it bounces when I give it some action. To me this is an odd feeling.

However, this is my first try with Fluoro, even though it is a hybrid, so maybe Im just not used to the feel. Any thoughts on this?
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like the Yo-Zuri hydrid line stretches a lot, which I hate, since my preferred line has always been braid, which doesn't stretch at all. Stretch is why I hate monofilament line. I really like the P-Line Fluoroclear hybrid line that I've been using, lately. I've never thought that it felt like it stretched too much, if at all. When I'm throwing a lure that doesn't require a strong hookset (like a swimming jig or a wacky rigged Senko), I actually prefer it to braid. It also works well with spinnerbaits and crankbaits, although I prefer the strength of braid for them, because they're more likely to get snagged and I hate losing them.
Forum Police

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yozuri Hybrid is an ok line but I would go with P-Line if you are looking for a "hybrid Line".
I personally use Trilene Professional Grade fluorocarbon. It is on the expensive side but very strong and not a lot of stretch.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: fishing is a sport! Reply with quote

LONG BEFORE there was a Gazillion Lines - Hooks and LURES! people fished! I have been fishing for around 50 years and FIND the more stuff you buy THE MORE MONEY YOU SPEND!!! and things are not cheap these days!!!

LOL! i am not saying that i don't spend my fair share GOD ONLY KNOWS I DO! BUT when it come to right down to it! FOR BASS -- Rubber Worms - FLOATING REPALA - Jitter Bug and a couple of spoons on a decent rod and reel (under $50) with a good line is really all you need!

AND ALWAYS/ALWAYS have a FLY ROD!

Last edited by rvolkers on Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
rvolkers

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i only use a few lines and have lost only a fish because of a break-off! - i keep spare spools loaded with each and switch as needed!

#1 maxima ultra green - mono 8LB -- crank baits - top water - jerk baits (all year)
#2 Vanish floro - 6LB & 8LB -- tubes - and senkos ETC (all year)
#3 10 pound brad - bait casters BASS (all year)
#4 20 pound brad - bait casters for pike/stripers and blues (all year)

#5 4 pound maxima ultra green - mono - trout fishing

YES i suppose you you could spend a fortune and BUY ALL THOSE HEAVY DUTY BRAIDS!! but if you enjoy FISHING not CATCHING and LEARN HOW TO BACK REEL! --- these are all you should need
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: