CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: What would you do? (trophy bass) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flipper - I have a 23 inch northern pike skin mount that's over 30 years old. It's beaten up, but it still looks better than most of the fish mounts that I see.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that may be the exeption to the rule, Phil. It is generally thought (from my research) that the replicas are much longer lasting, and retain their color much better than skin mounts. You probably had an excellent taxidermist, and all the conditions were perfect for that specific mount. Just so everybody is clear, even when you get a skin mount, the skin (and sometimes the skull) are used, BUT the skin is still painted over by the taxidermist. Sure, part of the mount is actually the fish you caught, but it is still doctored up artificially, so what you are seeing is still not the actual fish. Why not just get an artificial and let the fish go? Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with the taking of a trophy fish. It is old, close to death anyway, and has reproduced many times, thus making it's contribution to the ecosystem. I would rather see it taken for food than just to be killed for the simple reason of mounting it on the wall so one can brag about it. That can be done with a picture. See avatar Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I caught what I consider a trophy bass at Ball Pond during the spawn this year. I didn't have a scale or a ruler with me as I was just testing out the new boat with my son. I did get pictures though, and most seasoned bass anglers say it was 8+lbs. It never even crossed my mind to keep it....I know it's still in there and I will catch it again. But a day doesn't go by that I don't wonder what the actual weight was, and I'll never leave home without my scale:).
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember seeing the photos. I'd consider it to be a trophy bass, too. And it will be even bigger the next time that you catch it. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome guys! this has been even better than I had hoped.
Lots of good points were made for both sides (more for releasing though) and I learned some new perspective on the whole topic.

I will have to do more research on skin mount VS. fiberglass pros and cons, but I think I am leaning much more toward releasing and going fiberglass. I'd say I have just about made up my mind unless 9 out of ten taxidermists tell me that fiberglass sucks, which I strongly doubt would be the case.

I guess what helps drive my motivation in this sport is having a goal with something really nice to show for it when I reach it. That is what keeps me hung up on wanting a trophy one day. I just know myself too well and know that I'll keep raising the standard with each new PB I catch, making it very hard for me to ever say to myself "this is the one".

By the way, PECo is my favorite... He always keeps in the mix and helps keep the subjects going. Most of you are really cool to hear from too, I just noticed myself looking forward to "the PECO view" in many different conversations here.

Anyway, thanks again everyone... you guys are awsome!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, pondhopper. And just so that you and Flipper know, I'd go for the fiberglass replica, too.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

take a pic. let it go..... def.

Just one more cast...
steven1smith

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as regulations go, it's legal to keep that trophy bass. I dont want people to, but its legal.

If you decide to keep a 7lb bass, just keep in mind that it has several more years of spawning to do. If the fish does end up getting to 10lbs, those few years of extra spawning may help the lake produce big fish for future generations to enjoy.

If you catch that 10lb bass, consider this. That bass is just 2-3 years from becoming a state record. If you keep that fish, there's no chance that it will become close to that size.

The state record smallie is in either Candlewood or Shenipsit. Go get it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxCdnQ8WEfQ
johnnybass860

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earlier in the year I got my personal best at 9 pounds and It would of never been that big if i didn't use catch and release on the same fish a couple years ago. It was really hard for me to throw it back but I did and It successfully spawned.
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're the poster boy for catch and release, johnnybass860. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yea, johnnybass860 is the guy who hit the 9lber on crystal pond! Thats so awesome brotha! I have shown that pic to my bass fishn buddies and we all freakn love staring at it!

Congrats on that and I hope to see a pic of you holding it at 10lbs next spawn. And I commend you on releasing it too. That takes a true sportsman.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Sir. Catch and Release is the way to go, no doubt about it
johnkaz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

almost all mounts now are just fiberglass anyways. as far as i know there are only a couple places that actually use the real fishes head. so its better off just get some good detailed pics and sizes and let the hogs go. I always said i would keep my first 8lb bass. then one day i caught one, i had no camera so that sucked!! But me and that bass had a moment and i just couldnt keep it. I let her go. But i did have a freind with me and he saw it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In CT it'd take a 8.5lb+ and a 6lb+ smally for me

In reading non stop I have full faith by that the time these bass get to these sizes to pull one out wouldn't hurt future growth of fish in the body of water

It's had plenty of time by then to get its genes into the water
steven1smith

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just have to much respect for these fish to ever keep one that reaches trophy size. I couldn't live with myself to end a trophy bass's life by mounting it on a wall. I'd be much more happy with a replica. I think they look nicer too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxCdnQ8WEfQ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: