CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: What would you do? (trophy bass) Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pondhopper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: What would you do? (trophy bass) Reply with quote

Ive heard some mixed opinions on this topic in the past, and just wanted to poll and see what most of us "catch n' release" bass lovers would do when you finally hit a CT, once in a life time, trophy size bass (LMB= 7lbs+, SMB= 5lbs+).

I understand both sides of the coin... taking a big spawn bass hurts the spawning, but its the only one you will ever take. They make great fiber glass reproductions, but its not quite a real trophy without it being the actual bass.

Anyway, anyone who care to weigh in with their points or opinions?

I would love to hear them...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

take a picture, let the fish go...let someone else catch it, hopefully they take a picture and let it go....
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

take a picture, let the fish go...let someone else catch it, hopefully they take a picture and let it go....

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
jomonkey527

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let it go, weigh it, take length/girth, and a photo.
slim2043

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely get some good shots of the fish and myself w the fish. Weigh and measure it if I had tape/scale which I don't always have. I don't think I would keep it even if I had no camera. I at least hope I could keep myself from keeping it. Nothing like a fish story w no proof Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so heres my position.
As time goes by and I become more successful at finding big bass, I find my "trophy" standard is always rising. Aside from that, as I read,learn, and understand more and more about bass, I gain allot more respect for them, and get more and more upset when I see guys filling buckets or even taking a couple bass out of the places I fish.
As a result I feel at this point it would be huge moral dilemma for me when I'm one day holding an 8lber in CT and wishing I could have it both ways. In the end, the fiberglass reproduction might be the best answer, and I have to believe that thats what I will decide on when the day comes.

Now what would make an easy throw back for me is if I hit one on a smaller pond where the population is much more fragile. I would find comfort knowing he/she is in there and I am likely to find him/her again. On a huge lake full of pigs, a once in a lifetime bass for me is a drop in the bucket for their population, so thats where I would have the dilemma.Again though, fiberglass versions are still awesome to me!

I understand that its hard for any of the many viewers of this topic to come out and announce that he/she would simply kill a beautiful big bass and hang it up as their trophy. Guess I should have thought of that before I posted a poll involving a politically correct, versus politically incorrect answer.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite frankly, if you were to legally catch a keeper sized largemouth bass, and by legally I mean that you had a fishing license, and observed the size and quantity limits of the body of water on which you were fishing, I wouldn't begrudge you keeping a trophy bass. I'd wish that you had released it Crying or Very sad , but I'd congratulate you on your catch just the same. Very Happy

Those who feel that all bass should be released should complain about or, better yet, try to change the existing laws and regulations, not the fishermen who observe them.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with PECo's comments...

The only thing I would HATE to see with a trophy fish is what I see other people do sometimes. Catch a monster fish, bully it in to the boat/shore/etc, step on it, machete its head off, chuck the head in the water, rebait and greedily dip back in for more. I understand when this type of activity happens in third world countries when the fishermen/women there are fishing for survival and every catch needs to be kept and eaten but my friends that is not the case I'm seeing. There may be poor people in America and the economy is rough but fishing for our lives, WE ARE NOT!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way I would keep a trophy bass is if it broke the state record...and still at that point I would ponder to keep it or not.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would take a few measurements, a weight and some pics and release it. I do agree though that it is every fisherman's prerogative to do what they wish with the fish that they catch so long as it meets the regulations of the state they catch it in.
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it hard to believe that the state record smallmouth bass is only seven pounds, 12 ounces. And, yeah, I can't believe that I said only. Wink But there have to be larger smallies in Connecticut's waters. What's the biggest smallie that any of you have seen here?

If I caught a state record bass, I'd document it as well as I could, release it and try to catch it again the following year. And I'd find the best taxidermist/replica maker that I could to have one made to hang in my bar.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I caught (based on CT Angler's guide) a trophy sized pumpkinseed. I weight it, took a picture and then it go. I thought a taxidermist might look at me funny if I wanted to mount it. lol. 8oz.
Flipper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is, you do not need to keep the fish to get it mounted. You can let it go after taking pic, weight, measurements, etc. Somebody was talking about it not being "the real thing", but does anybody even mount actual fish anymore? Aren't they all fiberglass anyway?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm keeping my first bass over 10lbs......if I ever catch one. Going on the wall.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: