CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: Which baitcast set up Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Just4fun

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, you should get a 7' MH combo for your first baitcasting setup because it is the best size/weight for all around general purpose baitcasting! Great for worming, light jigging, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits and any t-rigged plastics 1/2 ounce & less. You could also use it for frogs and heavier crankbaits,....like I said it's a great all-purpose rod!

ps: If you use right-handed baitcasters,..then I would strongly recommmend one of Djmon's Citicas that he has for sale in the classifieds section! Wink
DV

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't buy everything djmon sells haaa, I might though.. gonna look at more reels in the coming days.

Thanks for the input J4F, most likely what I will start with and build from there.
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my Pfleuger 6'3" medium action baitcaster more than anything. It's only in the $60-$70 price range, but I wish I could afford 5 more of them. My low end Quantum reel gets no distance with unweighted senkos or lighter on 50 lb braid. With a plastic frog/rattle trap, etc. it' casts smooth as silk. I recommend trying a left-handed baitcast too, it's nice to be able to give each hand a break from holding the rod when you're fishing for 12+ hours. I recommend getting as many combos as you can afford. You're going to want more of them.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
gecabert

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just recently began purchasing baitcasting setups, after using spinning equipment for years.

My first acquisition was a Shimano Citica with a 7'5" Bass Pro Shop Bionic Blade. Very nice setup, I purchased the reel with a left handed retrieve, since I was used to that after using spinning equipment for so long. I matched it up with PowerPro 30 lb braid.

While I liked the Shimano I was looking for a reel with a few more bearings, that would make the retrieve a little smoother. In the Shimano line, the next step up would be the Currando, but also at a much higher pricepoint, for very little difference. So I took a chance, after reading a lot of reviews, and purchased the Bass Pro Shops Johnny Morris signature series baitcaster. It was the same price as the Citica and had numerous advantages. 10 bearings, dual breaking system, PowerLock, etc. I've also read some reviews on it, and they're saying that it's manufactured by Pfleuger for BPS.

I've only used each of them a couple of times this year, but I'm quite satisfied with the BPS reel, and would recommend it.
DV

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the site and thanks for you input.

I've probably owned between 10 and 12 shimano spinning reels, but when I tryed out the citica and currado I just like like I could do better for the money. The reviews on the bps JM reel looks very good, and while I'm sceptical of buying a reel before trying it I think it represents a very good value. It seems to improve upon what I liked and didn't like about the trion I had for a short time.

Does it infact come with a spare spool, seems to be conflicting info on this?
gecabert

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It didn't come with a spare spool, and maybe someone else can help answer this, but I don't see any easy way to get the spool off the baitcasting reels. They pop right off on a spinning reel, but I think you need to dismantle most of the reel to get the spool out.
shortypowers

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gecabert wrote:
It didn't come with a spare spool, and maybe someone else can help answer this, but I don't see any easy way to get the spool off the baitcasting reels. They pop right off on a spinning reel, but I think you need to dismantle most of the reel to get the spool out.

I think with the Citica you just need to remove the sideplate (where the VBS braking adjustments are). Once that's off, the spool should come right out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: