CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: Which baitcast set up Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DV

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Which baitcast set up Reply with quote

I currenty own 7-8 spin setups and would like to liquidate most of them and get into BC rods/reels. I just like the overall feel of BC reels vs spinning at the same price point. In the past I had a pfluger predsident bc reel and a daiwa rod and got turned off on the concept because I was using 30lb braid, BURRIED!

So I want to know which rod/reel combo you guys would suggest under $250 to replace some of my spin rigs. I was thinking flipping stick/jig rod, can a flipping stick be used a normal jig rod? am I better off with a different combo?

Here is a list of my current set ups, let me know which ones you would swap out for what.

7' im8 1/4- 2 broom stick - sahara 4000 - 30lb braid or 14lb mono
7' im6 1/4-3/4 MH ------------ epixor 3000r - 10lb mono or 50lb braid
7' im7 1/8-5/8 M -------------- Symetre 2500 - 10lb stren flouro
6' 6" ugly stick MH --------------- crap 2500 - 30lb fireline crystal (live/dead bait setup)
6'6" im7 1/8-3/4 M-------------- sedona 2500
6' im8 1/4-5/8 MH--------------sahara 1500 -8lb flouro
5'6" im9 1/16-1/2 ML------------ symtre 1500 - 6lb gold vanish (trout)

I am privey to the bottom 3 as I have had them the longest and love them. Where should I start with baitcasting, worm or jig or flipping?
hoppy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flipping sticks tend to be heavier then a jig/worm rods. i found a nice 6' or 7' ft medium/heavy rod will cover just about all your bait casting needs. i suppose it really boils down to what kind of cover you really wan to fish and your style of fishing. if flipping shallow heavy cover is your thing then maybe a stout flipping rod would be the better choice. if your into pitching/casting soft plastics and jigs id recommend something a bit lighter. ive got an allstar rod i really like has a quantum on it that i also have on another rod. older models reels but they have worked for me no problem and im comfortable with them. head to cabelas and put some reels and rods in your hands. youll get 100 different opinions on rods/reels. ive heard the carrot sticks are nice. all the companies make nice stuff.
i personally have been using mostly Quantum rods and reels.
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Which baitcast set up Reply with quote

DV wrote:
I currenty own 7-8 spin setups and would like to liquidate most of them and get into BC rods/reels. I just like the overall feel of BC reels vs spinning at the same price point. In the past I had a pfluger predsident bc reel and a daiwa rod and got turned off on the concept because I was using 30lb braid, BURRIED!

So I want to know which rod/reel combo you guys would suggest under $250 to replace some of my spin rigs. I was thinking flipping stick/jig rod, can a flipping stick be used a normal jig rod? am I better off with a different combo?

Here is a list of my current set ups, let me know which ones you would swap out for what.

7' im8 1/4- 2 broom stick - sahara 4000 - 30lb braid or 14lb mono
7' im6 1/4-3/4 MH ------------ epixor 3000r - 10lb mono or 50lb braid
7' im7 1/8-5/8 M -------------- Symetre 2500 - 10lb stren flouro
6' 6" ugly stick MH --------------- crap 2500 - 30lb fireline crystal (live/dead bait setup)
6'6" im7 1/8-3/4 M-------------- sedona 2500
6' im8 1/4-5/8 MH--------------sahara 1500 -8lb flouro
5'6" im9 1/16-1/2 ML------------ symtre 1500 - 6lb gold vanish (trout)

I am privey to the bottom 3 as I have had them the longest and love them. Where should I start with baitcasting, worm or jig or flipping?

Whatever you find works best for the setup, and/or all of the above. Maybe use flouro leaders, but I prefer braid (green - not the coated clear crap like Invisibraid though.)

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
DV

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I will keep the spinners for soft plastics, and my favorite way to fish is pitching to heavy shallow cover or just shallow in general. My new favorite rod is an allstar I just bought in the 6' mh spin, light sensitve good cork etc.

mainly I guess what I mean is should I have a separate jig rod and a separate flipping stick?
hoppy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

by all means if you can afford the two combos that is what i would do. i think youll be happier with the two differant style rods.
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DV wrote:
I think I will keep the spinners for soft plastics, and my favorite way to fish is pitching to heavy shallow cover or just shallow in general. My new favorite rod is an allstar I just bought in the 6' mh spin, light sensitve good cork etc.

mainly I guess what I mean is should I have a separate jig rod and a separate flipping stick?

If you can afford it. The more rods the better. Less re-tying.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
DV

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't afford anything really but I tend to buy whatever I think I need(want). So a 7' or longer H for flipping and a 7MH for jigging or should it be shorter? Also what speed reels for both. Sorry for all the questions and I know its pretty much a matter of personal opinion on anything fishing related.
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DV wrote:
I can't afford anything really but I tend to buy whatever I think I need(want). So a 7' or longer H for flipping and a 7MH for jigging or should it be shorter? Also what speed reels for both. Sorry for all the questions and I know its pretty much a matter of personal opinion on anything fishing related.

You can afford to fix your windshield??? That thing should have gotten you in trouble by now in CT. I have no reel advice...just get that windshield fixed!

DV

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol ah man, its been like that for ages. I even have free glass coverage on my insurance that will come out to my house for no chargeto fix it. That would be thinking logically though, something I avoid at all costs.
MarkO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For pitching/flipping the heavy stuff, go with a 7:1 reel. Once you lay into the fish, you want to get her away from that cover as quick as possible. If you are just throwing to random cover then a 6:1 should be just fine.
Also, if you can afford it, keep the spinning rods and have them dedicated to a specific technique like dropshotting or shakeyhead.
You can never have too many setups and once on the water, and after trial and error, you'll probably only be throwing one, two or maybe three different presentations.
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: LOL! Reply with quote

Knowing DV, he'll be throwing six or seven presentations!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, I like to keep my options open and even though I have a small boat I still manange to get 5 rods out with me. I hate retying...

I will be keeping 3 spinning rods, for the light stuff like senkos, floating raps, shakey head and other light line type finesse stuff.

Looks like I am gonna start checking out a flipping sticks.
hoppy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like a 6-1/2' rod for worms and such but again that is just what i prefer.
stumpy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a flipping stick for flipping jigs both in shallow and deep water. that is a 7'6 heavy, but thats my preference, i find myself using longer rods for most techniques along with a higher speed reel you pick up more line for a hookset and to get them above the junk and bringing them to the boat. i still use a 7'mh for now for soft plastics (except when flipping) until i can pick up maybe a 7'2 or a 7'6mh.
DV

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input everyone, I really appreciate it. Here is my new plan

A 7" - 7" 6' heavy for flipping stuff and 7" medium heavy 1/4-5/8th fast for trigs.

And I checked out the shimano citicas and currados today and I think I might stray away from shimano for the first time ever. The cititca felt kind of jiggly, currado was a little better but for $160 I want it to be ROCK solid. Maybe I will give daiwa or quantum a try. I had a Trion before and it was heavy with a little jiggle but uber smooth. Gonna check out some daiwas and quantums with a fast ratio.. I missed 2 fish today because they hit it on the lift and I couldn't get the slack in.

Still can't find a good rod series for 100-150 either, so far I am liking the mojo bass / quantum super lite and the allstars. Anyone like allstar here?

Last edited by DV on Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: