CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: CT Largemouth State Record Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slim2043

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What will she be caught on?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 inch green pumpkin senko from Batterson.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now now slim, are you trying to gather up some ideas of what to throw to catch the "bigen?"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wondering what to bring to Breakneck, Winchester, Golf Courses and CT River when I go on my vacation aka qwest for the one!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

better hit the river before the guy from "hooked, river monsters" or what ever that show is called

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see the largemouth bass break the record. I've got a 4 1/2 pounds a couple years ago. lol
hoppy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it could be taken on anything. You just never will know unless your site fishing what could be hitting your line next. it could be a runt or a fish of a lifetime.
Ive caught some big bass on small lures and we all know a small bass will hit something pretty big. you just have to keep casting. Anyone know what the current record was caught on?
CT_BASSman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoppy wrote:
it could be taken on anything. You just never will know unless your site fishing what could be hitting your line next. it could be a runt or a fish of a lifetime.
Ive caught some big bass on small lures and we all know a small bass will hit something pretty big. you just have to keep casting. Anyone know what the current record was caught on?

No idea and not sure if it can even be traced it was caught in 1961. Maybe the DEP would know? I will try contacting them and seeing if they have records of that. My best guess would be live bait, specifically a shiner or other baitfish of some sort.
mikey5string

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like it to be caught on a big fat jointed crankbait or a surface plug made for bluefish. Anything but a wacky rigged senko....

ps

I had a great day fishing today using a wacky rigged senko. I threw everything at them first though.

I do use them, I just am way to impatient to just cast and wait for it to slowly flutter to the bottom; wait for a few minutes, twitch it, wait a few more minutes reel in and repeat.

Id rather live line alewife if I am going to be fishing like that. But again, I do use them and sometimes they are deadly. Especially if the fish are really lazy and dont want to leave their little holes in the weeds/trees/docks/etc...
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say your best baits would be one of those big swimmers or a live panfish. I've caught a number of 2 to 4 pound largemouths while live lining a bluegill or perch.

This year I had a nice bass grab a smaller pumpkinseed I was reeling in. Last year I caught a 4 1/2 pounder that grabbed a redbreast and the lure while reeling in the fish.
mikey5string

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO it just wouldn't be right for the state record LMB to be caught on live (or dead) bait. Imagine if she's caught on a cricket from shore.

I fish live bait for walleye and salt water but not for bass.....often ; )
CT_BASSman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is it's caught during the fall either on a jig or when cranking deep.
Michael

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess on time of the year is ice out.
CT_BASSman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEP finally got back to me about my inquiry on what the state largemouth was caught on and when. Unfortunately they didn't start keeping exact details like that until 1986 when the trophy fish program was established.
jjbassfishn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Colebrook may yield the SR on SMB. But Winchester probably won't. To much pressure and the added pike have effected things. I have steady noticed lower BG and Perch since the pike have been added.

There are some big ones in Highland, But have fun dodging jet-ski's tryin to find them. McDonough has also got some bruisers swimming around. But the word is out there are 10 plus's in there so I have noticed much more pressure these days.

As for what it might be caught on? Don't rule out the spinnerbaits in the spring. Or the mighty plastic worm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: