CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: CT Largemouth State Record Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CT_BASSman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: CT Largemouth State Record Reply with quote

I have been thinking over this lately and would like to get others opinions, the current CT LMB state record has stood at 12lb14oz since 1961. Will this be broken anytime soon and where? My personal opinion would be it's broken within the next 5 years and come out of the CT river, due to the fact it's got plentiful baitfish populations to support such a big fish and I have simply seen the most quantity of big fish come out of there.
anointed130

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto, but i believe some of these records are broken often but not reported, many times they may end up on the dinner plate

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
toptech

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the smallmouth record will be broken before the largemouth...and that fish is swimming around colebrook res. I would say that if the largemouth record is broken it will come out of a farm pond/car access type place. The pond I grew up on was pretty small and I had seen one ten pounder caught there and heard reports of 3 or 4 others. Don't know how many were the same fish though.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good thinking, maybe breakneck holds the next state record, even though I haven't fished there yet I hear it's amazing
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think she's in Breakneck...clean glacial water, ideal habitat & forage, little fishing pressure, no bucket brigade. Very few fish are removed due to the inconvenience of transporting anything to/from the location.
As for when I'll catch her...I'm aiming for this month.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
anointed130

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone fill me in, where is breakneck?

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
perfect hook set

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i havnt even heard reports of any 10lb lmb caught

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anointed130 wrote:
Someone fill me in, where is breakneck?

Union...near Mashapaug and Bigelow Hollow in Nipmuck State Forest.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
SAP284

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This weeks DEP report said that a 9.3 largemouth was caught in the CT River, pretty close to 10! I have no doubt the CT River holds some monster bass. They are in there!

I haven't been to breakneck although I did see the YouTube video of the path to it lol.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with TopTech. Smaller farm ponds, private lakes, marshlands, and golf course ponds would have the best chance.

My PB 8 pounder came from a golf course that holds original farm ponds. A person who has always lived around that area told me that there are more pigs around 10 to 12 pounds lurking in those small ponds.

Private residential lakes around the area that hardly get pressured hold tons of big fish.
CT_BASSman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TurtleKiss wrote:
I think she's in Breakneck...clean glacial water, ideal habitat & forage, little fishing pressure, no bucket brigade. Very few fish are removed due to the inconvenience of transporting anything to/from the location.
As for when I'll catch her...I'm aiming for this month.

We might as well break the record twice when we go! haha
hoppy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think both smallie and largie record will be broken in the years to come.
I agree with toptech that colebrook could hold the next state record smallie. There are some donkeys in there but man are they tough to find and catch. I have seen some nice smallies from there over the years...i have no dought it could hold the state record. Unfortunatly we cant fish the other body of water that could hold the state record smallie and or largie and thats upper barkhamstead resevoir. I heard at the Bantam T that someone was told a 12lb largie was taken from the lower section a few weeks back.if that is true then that fish was close to be that very record breaking fish. dont know how, where, or by whom it was caught. Just a swirling rumor and i have no actuall facts. They are out there for sure. A small local pond here in town has had some 8's and 10's taken from it over the years. A small pond could also be home to the next state record largie. The largest bass I have personally seen and handled was an 8lb 10oz largie from congamond. Ive have not seen one even close to that from there since. It would be like hitting the lotto to break this record but it will and can be done someday.
Nickp

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with 10lb+ large mouth is its always a friend of a nobody or something dumb like that. Ive yet to see a single picture EVER of a 10 lber besides chris simones out of cwood and if I remember it was barely 10? Maybe 9 and change? I just dont believe that more then 1 fish over 10 gets caught a year, most likely less. Between people big eyeing and using measurements for weight its just not real enough for me to put faith in. I did lose a fish over 8lbs this spring on Winchester on a senko in the stump fields, saw the fish for more then 20 seconds completely sideways. I would place money on Winchester having the most fish between 5-10lbs in the entire state per acre, when its on there- its on, a 25lb bag can and does happen. Ive seen friday night t's there with less then 30 fish weighed in with half being over 4lbs.
chud059

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

post when you all are going to breakneck...even without a boat or vessel I'll go and either wade in the water or fish from shore!!!
Bluegill Terminator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with nickP about Winchester that place has giant bass and giant pike. In 2010 during the spawn I've seen 3 bass swimming together looking to spawn I was able to land the smallest one that went 6.3 and there was one swimming along with it that easily dwarfed that one Shocked . I read an article somewhere can't remember if it was on swimbaitnation or not about how a big bass eats big meals and it takes 3-5 days for those meals to digest before she eats big again. The state record is in one of the trout lakes in CT no doubt. All that fish has to do is wait by the launch in the spring and fall time and munch on stockies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: