CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Honesty?????? Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bad fisherman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Honesty?????? Reply with quote

It would be nice if some of the members would start being honest about the weights of their fish. Some recent posts have been downright insulting to our intelligence. C'mon guys.............!!!!!
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say for the most part people are honest about the weights of their fish on here. Of course there are always a few that like to tell fish tales. Don't lose any sleep over it though. Laughing
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honesty? This is a fishing site! I believe it when I see a pic or a scale, but it's all in good fun. If you want to call your 1.5lb bass a 5 pounder, that's your right as a fisherman. Do you think I tell my wife how much I spent to catch a few small fish? Hell no! I go by the rule of 1/3. Take anything a fisherman tells you and divide by 3. Very Happy
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
NWDarkcloud

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol I hear that dam fishermans memory ....every time I remember the fish it gains a pound

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redneckangler wrote:
Honesty? This is a fishing site! I believe it when I see a pic or a scale, but it's all in good fun. If you want to call your 1.5lb bass a 5 pounder, that's your right as a fisherman. Do you think I tell my wife how much I spent to catch a few small fish? Hell no! I go by the rule of 1/3. Take anything a fisherman tells you and divide by 3. Very Happy

Hi RNA,

You'll like this !

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
zegermanznew

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a fisherman, I hate the lying.

I hate when the fish is on the line and I can swear it must be 4 lbs. I hate when I pull it out of the water and it looks like its only 3 lbs. I hate when I put it on the scale and it only weighs 2lbs.

The fish or my scale is a lying piece of shit.

Embarassed

Seriously though, there have been some seriously delusional posts lately.
zegermanznew

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate when the fish is on the line and I can swear it must be 4 lbs. I hate when I pull it out of the water and it looks like its only 3 lbs. I hate when I put it on the scale and it only weighs 2lbs.

Embarassed

Seriously though, there have been some seriously delusional posts lately.
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hi RNA,

You'll like this !

Quote:

lol
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
JustinSolak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally weigh all my fish to get a weight. Carp, always... Bass, stripers, etc, if its worthy of knowing the weight, I weigh it. If i just don't care, I don't. I try to give an estimate if i really don't have a scale, and after 20+ years of fishing, my length and weight estimates are pretty spot on for the most part. Remember, some photos can be deceiving. Camera angle, how far out they hold the fish, size of the person. Take someone who's 6' 4'' holdin a 5 pound bass right in front of their chest. Take the same bass and have someone who's 5' 2'' hold it out in front of them.

Just sayin, is all. Sure there's some inaccurate estimates, but you'll never know unless you were there to see it in person.

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.
Gill Fin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that photos can be deceiving I caught this today and it was bigger in person. I think it was around 10" and fairly big-bodied. It looks much smaller in pic.

x182dan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gill Fin wrote:
I agree that photos can be deceiving I caught this today and it was bigger in person. I think it was around 10" and fairly big-bodied. It looks much smaller in pic.

umm that picture looks like a small 10in bass to me, lol.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looked small and especially freakishly much shorter, when I downloaded a few pictures from the phone, and made me feel like posting in the thread. Then I cropped and resized it for P.B. Now it kind of does look about right, I still think it looks a little thin. Laughing I caught another bass that was much smaller but looks the same as this one in a pic
Mase2020

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I recently caught a fish used my scale and it said 5 pounds and that's what I posted it weighed, Then the next time I used my scale I saw that it was stuck and believed it may have been stuck when I weighed the fish a few days earlier and I corrected my post. I hate lying as well, but I'm not on this site to compete with anyone else, just to learn from others and hopefully have people find out what has been working for me. I post pictures because when I read a post I like to see pictures. One thing I know from taking pictures some times smaller fish seem bigger in pictures and the other way around. So unless you have personal knowledge of someone not being honest tread lightly before accusing them of lying. Mine was an honest mistake and others may be the same.

Mase
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zegermanznew wrote:

Laughing That happens to me, too! Laughing

I'm a little bit compulsive about accuracy, so I always round lengths down. If a fish is 15-7/8 inches long, it's a 15 incher.

Weights are much harder to get accurately than lengths, but I've found that my digital scale compares very closely, if not exactly, with other digital scales. I've caught only one largemouth bass over five pounds this year. My digital scale said five pounds, 15 ounces, the first time I weighed it and five pounds, 14 ounces, the second time I weighed it. When JJay (aka Jason) weighed it on his own digital scale, it said five pounds, 14 ounces, so that's what the fish weighed.

In my experience, an average girth Connecticut largemouth bass hits one pound at 14 inches in length and gains one pound for each additional two inches in length, so that's my Rule of Thumb. Of course, a fatty like my Personal Best doesn't follow this Rule of Thumb. It was only 21 inches long and, although I'd normally have expected a largemouth bass of that length to weigh around 4-1/2 pounds, it weighed six pounds, six ounces. But it was the fattest largemouth bass that I've ever seen. Very Happy

In the end though, it doesn't really matter what anyone says a fish weighs, unless it's an IGFA record. Heck, I'm happy when I catch a fish that's even worth weighing. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
In the end though, it doesn't really matter what anyone says a fish weighs, unless it's an IGFA record. Heck, I'm happy when I catch a fish that's even worth weighing. Wink

This is the best thing anyone has said in this entire post an in my opinion this post is just a waiste of space. Do you loose sleep over this crap? Who cares? I dont care who caught what, when, where, or how. I dont care if they say there 2lber weighs 5lbs. or there 5lber was really 6lbs It just doesnt or wont effect my fishing or what im going to do. Keep in mind many of the members here that do actually post are guys that are new to the sport. Every fish is huge when your fresh.....2's are 5's right?. With time comes the ability to better accurattley judge a fish's weight. Even then the only true and tried method is to weight the thing on a GOOD scale. I fail to understand why so many seem to rely on others reports for info and success when the info and success can really be found on the water putting your time in. Tite lines!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: