CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Housatonic River - Shelton 12/04 Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Housatonic River - Shelton 12/04 Reply with quote

I enjoyed a short day of fishing with TurtleKiss (aka Kira) on my boat, The Other Woman, Too. We were on the water from about 10:30 am to 2:00 pm, so we fished both sides of the high tide in Shelton, which was at 12:30 pm. There were more boats on the water, today, than there were a couple of days ago on Monday, when I fished with NWDarkcloud (aka Bob):

The weather was waaay nicer, today. Not only was it warmer, but the winds were calmer and it was much sunnier. After we launched at Sunnyside, I wanted to head downriver to just past the No Wake Zone in front of the marina, but we marked a big school of fish with the finder almost immediately:

Although we saw a lot of fishing going on in the dozen boats that were mostly upriver from us, we didn't see any catching happening. The fish were much more finicky than they were on Monday. However, that didn't stop me:

When the fish had grown finicky on me and Bob on Monday, I told him that I wished I had a more colorful, chartreuse fluke. Well, guess what I found at Dick's Sporting Goods last night:

Finicky fish love 'em! The chartreuse tails seemed to do the trick and Kira soon started catching them, too:

We caught as many fish as we saw ALL of the other boats in the area catch. Unfortunately, though, as the high tide approached, the fish got even finickier and more scattered. We eventually motored up to the upriver side of Two Mile Island, where we, again, saw more fishing than catching going on. And we saw my second fishing idol after Gary Yamamoto, RichZ, who was fishing in his boat with JimFish. It took me and Kira a while to get going, but we each boated a fish before we saw either RichZ or JimFish boat one. Cool There were a lot of lulls in the catching of fish and after a particularly long one, Kira and I each posed for Christmas card photos with the schoolie that I finally caught, which was one of the bigger ones of the day. Kira, being the artist that she is, brought tiny, festive hats to put on the head of the fish in the photos. I went with the black top hat, while she went with the red Santa hat. We used her Motorola Droid Maxx ("Maxx") to take the photos. After another lull, we decided to fire up the big motor and make a run back downriver from Two Mile Island. As we prepared to go, Kira said, "I heard a splash. Something fell overboard." Unfortunately, we soon realized that Maxx was nowhere to be seen. He had fallen overboard! Shocked Unfortunately, he wasn't wearing his PFD and drowned! Crying or Very sad After that, Kira lost her will to fish, so we left the water soon afterward, after having caught only 19 schoolies. Confused Anyway, it looks like we're in for a spell of not so nice weather in the near future. I hope that Kira is able to find room in her heart for a new cell phone, so that we can get out there, again, after it passes.

Last edited by PECo on Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor Maxx Crying or Very sad

Nice day to be fishing. Unfortunately the fish didn't cooperate as much as your previous trips.
x182dan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Peco's posts on ctfishtalk.com there will now be a hundred some odd boats out there this weekend because everyone knows that they are in. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the posts on Facebook, NY Fisherman and CT Fisherman that will bring them in. They've been out there for a couple weeks now. I drive over Rte 8 every day. Last week there was no parking at the Derby launch. The wader's were in chest high water the other night lining the banks on both sides. Lots of outa state plates showing up.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice post - the fish have been in for a while! - i think its always good to post a report that might help somebody new to fishing have a great time!
JimiChanga

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job Phil & T.K.!!!

Now to that posting issue...It's ALL THE POSTS EVERYWHERE!!!

My wife & I have been going to the Salmon River up in NY for over 10 years now & in the past 4-5 years it's gotten almost unbearable due to web posting all over the place.

Just my 2 cents.
John.
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, Dan. I'll save a spot for you. Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all about helping someone new catch fish but I put in a lot of time fishing and learning different spots so I don't think you should just give out information so easily.
chud059

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I'm all about helping someone new catch fish but I put in a lot of time fishing and learning different spots so I don't think you should just give out information so easily."

That's what is great about this site, the fact that guys like Phi (Peco) and MIcheal who are out there fishing a lot share their information so we can all enjoy a fishing trip. Some people do post " X Lake" reports and will share info via PM but on this site it's all about sharing spots, techniques, lures, etc... if you're into "secrets" and " I put a lot of time in fishing and learning spots" then maybe this isn't the site for you.

That being said, welcome to the board and hope you have some great fishing adventures!
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cpepice wrote:
I'm all about helping someone new catch fish but I put in a lot of time fishing and learning different spots so I don't think you should just give out information so easily.

I disagree. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
cpepice wrote:
Sad

I disagree. Wink
Very Happy

I get more enjoyment out of what others have learned from me then smirking watching them struggle. Besides! What I teach them is forgotten the second they step off my boat! It's a fascinating cycle of frustration.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cpepice wrote:

Totally agree...if ure gonna give out info then do it in a pm or another fisherman on the water that is working for them not the weekend warrior that wants everything handed to him on a silver platter...by the way the hot colors on the housy are candy apple red and rainbow...if ure gonna park at sunnyside u need to buy a launch sticker or ull be ticketed.
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
cpepice wrote:

I disagree. Wink

You will agree when you drive all the way down there and find no parking at the launch Shocked

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crest Daddy wrote:
You will agree when you drive all the way down there and find no parking at the launch Shocked

That's why I bought the permit for Sunnyside! Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Launch outa Derby or make a friend at one of the marinas like the rest of us do. Sunnyside is not the only access and considering you need a launch pass, which Phil has, if the cops are doing their job, parking shouldn't be an issue.

Besides Phil there are a number of Fisherman, some retired pros and writers for magazines (DEEP/Field and Stream ect) with more experience than us that post in various forums, including this one, on the Housy fishing. They don't seem to think it's an issue. I'm more inclined to follow their lead with their experience and background then someone with a fictitious screen name.

And if you don't want to share your info that's fine. It's only a matter of time before I/we figure it out and with help from friends like Phil it won't take that much time at all.

Besides, the Housy isn't the only river with stripers. Derby should consider charging for launching. It might be a lousy launch but it works and it would cut back on the crowds. Give the Mayor a call. She's very open to getting more money for the town. With a few good suggestions and a little dredging you could fit 100 trailers down there.

But honestly! I see this argument come up in all threads. But never as much as when winter striper fishing starts. There is nothing posted in this thread that isn't common knowledge already.

And why start a new screen name to post in this thread. Why not just post under your original name. It just doesn't give credibility to your statement.

No Keyboard Hiding!

If your new to the forum then I apologize in advance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: