CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Kayak and Canoe Fishing Tourney May 11, 2013 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
sbehuniak09 wrote:
This might be a crazy request that cannot be met, but does anyone have an extra pfd that can fit a large man like myself but will not be as cumbersome as draping a small bear around your chest?

Sorry, Stephan, but Ryan beat you to my spare PFD. Although even a child sized PFD would probably fit his pecless bod. . . . Laughing

Hey, Stephan, Ryan's too wiped out from finals to make it, tomorrow. You'd be welcome to use my spare PFD. It fits up to only a 52 inch chest. Male chest, that is. Laughing

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
PECo wrote:
sbehuniak09 wrote:
This might be a crazy request that cannot be met, but does anyone have an extra pfd that can fit a large man like myself but will not be as cumbersome as draping a small bear around your chest?

Sorry, Stephan, but Ryan beat you to my spare PFD. Although even a child sized PFD would probably fit his pecless bod. . . . Laughing

Hey, Stephan, Ryan's too wiped out from finals to make it, tomorrow. You'd be welcome to use my spare PFD. It fits up to only a 52 inch chest. Male chest, that is. Laughing

Thanks Phil! I appreciate it. If it fits I'll wear it!!

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any results????
PECo

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flippy wrote:
Any results????

Well, I didn't want to brag, Jim, but I won the tourney with a five fish bag of 82 inches, all largemouth bass. mep21 (aka Mark) took second with 68-1/2 inches. I caught all of my fish with wacky rigged Green Pumpkin/Red Flake five inch Gary Yamamoto Baits Yamasenkos (aka Senkos) with O-rings on Number 4 Gamakatsu Octopus Circle Hooks. I also won lunker with a pre-spawn 18-1/2 inch female. Strangely, my lunker by weight was a pre-spawn 17-3/4 inch female that weighed 3.26 pounds. I think that I need to double check the accuracy of my new scale. I won because Mark and I paddled all the way down from the launch in the lower reservoir to the causeway and portaged over to the upper reservoir. By all accounts, the fishing in the lower reservoir was s l o w. While Mark paddled down to the southeast end of the upper reservoir, I intended to go to where the water from Bashan Lake flows into the reservoir through a culvert in the northwest corner. I got a little disoriented and paddled to the southwest corner, instead, where I chanced upon a nice bed along 100 feet of the shore. Most of the fish weren't sitting in any of the usual spots where you'd expect to find them (e.g., in laydowns, under docks, in lily pad beds). They were definitely still spawning, but hard to locate. I didn't find any other bedding areas that were as densely or actively populated as the one spot in the southwest corner. Here's my bag:

The weather forecast scared off a lot of people, but we ended up with an almost perfect rainy fishing day. Mase2020 (aka Alan) said that about 25 people had planned to participate. We ended up with 12 people fishing. A couple of people showed up just for the post tourney food in the parking lot, so we had a total of 14:

I'd like to thank Alan for organizing the tourney, Gary Yamamoto for the lures and nickp (aka Nick) for not participating, so that I could win a CTFishTalk tourney, too. Laughing

Last edited by PECo on Mon May 13, 2013 10:25 am; edited 2 times in total
anointed130

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job peco, wish I had not sold my kayak last fall

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
sbehuniak09

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose I'll add my far less impressive story. I planned to stay near the launch since everyone else headed for the hills almost right away, also in case the rain got bad I wanted to be able to get off pretty quickly. I looked for structure everywhere and threw a spinnerbait, jutterbug, and a tube early on. I got two small pickerel within about 15 minutes on the spinnerbait. I got a couple hits on the jitterbug then moved. I went for the lilly pads in hopes of getting some topwater bites. Sure enough I did, but just more pickerel.. By maybe 940am I headed into this small cove with about 6 docks in it. I wanted to thoroughly hit every one and all the fallen trees in the area. In the cove I took on some water in my kayak trying to maneuver around a tree, but didn't tip luckily. I was wet the rest of the day. I tied on a Senko and threw it at EVERYTHING. I stuck in that cove for about 90 minutes and only got one 8.5" bass to show for it. UGH. At 11ish I paddled along the shore trolling the spinnerbait and caught a few more pickerel. After I lost the Senko, I put on a black 7" PowerBait worm and worked it slowly and steadily in the deep channel in the middle. Had a quick couple hits but no hook sets. Then I had a big hit and successful hook set. Big fish that towed me around the lake for about 2-3 minutes. It came to the surface about 10 feet from the kayak and it was a 4-5lb bass!! I got it next to the yak and lifted its head out of the water. As soon as I touched its mouth it shook the hook and got away. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad I almost jumped in after it.. It was 20" at the minimum and would have won the lunker pool I later found out. Oh well. I then lost one more in similar fashion just to top the day off. After that it started pouring and was like 12:30 so I got off the lake. Long story short, I sucked. At least I caught a bunch of fish, just not the right kind.

Congrats to Phil and thank you Phil, Bob, and Jason for supplying the delicious food. Also, huge thanks to Alan for putting this whole thing together. It was awesome and I can't wait for the next one. Great day.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the win Phil!

Sorry to hear you lost the lunker Stephan
Mase2020

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Tourney Results Reply with quote

Okay well my first organized meet went well. I made my lists and did not forget anything. Before I go into anything else I want to give a huge thanks to Phil for taking care of the food and to Bob and Jason for coming and helping. I will get more into the food later.

Well at last count the day before I had twenty five people confirmed. With the weather I expected some people would not show. I did get a message from Pramsey (CT Fishfinder) that due to the thought of lightening and his drive he was not going to come and Phil sent me a message that Ryan was not going to make it due being tired from finals. Thanks for the heads up I appreciated it. Not to complain, but if you say you are going to go to something and then can't make it for whatever reason should let someone know.

Now we did have a total of 12 people show up: Kira, Me, my son Stephan, Doug, Bill, Mark, Phil all from CT Fish Talk, then James Kyle, Chris and Dan from CT Fish Finder. Thanks to all who showed up and to James for getting the guys from CT Fish Finder. All except for my son and Phil entered both optional pools. Phil forgot the item for the overall length pool, however I guess he could still give Mark a lure next time they go out.

Now the weather called for 70% chance of rain, a possible thunderstorm, and winds sustained 12 MPH with 25 MPH gusts. Well from years of doing outdoor activities have have learned one thing not to rely on the weathermen that much. I check the hour by hour reports and the radar which I did and knew that the rain would be light for the most part and come and go and I was right. My concern was the thunderstorms and the wind.

So I arrived a little before six to meet Phil, but got a message that he was running a little late. When I arrived there was only a light wind and no rain. After that people began to show up. After check in, rules and waiver we hit the water. I fished the lower Moodus all day and caught lots of fish, however they were not bass. Lets just say my son only fished for 1.5 hours and caught five fish two were bass.

Now at 1:00 PM everyone returned to the launch and I began checking the pictures in total 52 bass were caught about 100 pickerel, a few crappie, sun fish and perch.

The winners of the lunker pool which should have been $110.00 dollar was Phil with 18.5" fish..

The overall length winner was Phil so he did get the 1st place trout May 1, trophy Rolling Eyes Laughing but did not enter so Mark won the bag of unopened tackle.
1. Phil 82"
2. Mark 68.5
3. Dough 62
4. Kyle 59.25
5. James 55
6. Dan 26
7. Cameron 18.25
8. Kira 16
9. Bill 13.5
10. Alan 11
11. Stephan 8.5
12. Chris 8

All in all it was a great day the sun came out for a spell then the rain again. lots of fun, good people and great food.

So Phil said the food was all set that I did not have to do anything or worry about it. At about 10:30 AM I get a call from my son who was back at the car. He told me Bob and Jason were there with the food and were headed to DD for some donuts. SO when I returned to the launch and found Bod and Jason there with Bob's truck and Phil Vermont Castings grill from home I knew we were in for some good food. Beef Tenderloin cut up grilled and put on bread. Jason brought chicken marinated with Lemongrass and Curry, and Bob cleaned Steamers that were cooked with onion and tomato and other spices. There were donuts and Doritos and the spread was awesome. Thanks again guys.

coastieyaker

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: my apologies Reply with quote

Alan,
You are absolutely right about telling someone if you are not coming.
I am one of those that did not call and I apologize.

It looks like it was a blast and thanks for organizing it.

Thanks again and sorry for the no call.

Pete
Mase2020

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: my apologies Reply with quote

coastieyaker wrote:
Alan,
You are absolutely right about telling someone if you are not coming.
I am one of those that did not call and I apologize.

It looks like it was a blast and thanks for organizing it.

Thanks again and sorry for the no call.

Pete

No worries we still had plenty of people hope you can make it next time. I just had to vent because I have organized other things at work and had the same thing happen. Again no worries and thanks for the apology which is means even more than the call. This was more directed at someone that had lots of ideas Rolling Eyes was bringing six people asked if it was still on then never showed or notified me that he was not coming.
PECo

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I see that Cameron outfished you, Alan. And in only 1-1/2 hours, no less. Laughing

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
So, I see that Cameron outfished you, Alan. And in only 1-1/2 hours, no less. Laughing

well I had the stress of running things and taking and measuring his fish and such Laughing
mep21

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great day out there. First and most importantly, thank you Alan for organizing the whole thing. Everything went incredibly smoothly. Second, congrats to Phil and thanks for not throwing anything into the lure pool. I know you said you didn't have anything unopened, but we all know you have to have at least ten bags of senkos on your boat at all times. Very Happy

As for my day, I caught 7 bass in total and at least as many pickerel. Most of the fish came on the frog, with 2 on a spinnerbait (One white, One Black). I'll definitely be going back to Upper Moodus for some frogging soon,.As you get further back in that lake, the surroundings tend to get more wild. I even spotted an Osprey on my paddle. For me, it doesn't get any better than that. I prefer to fish places where even if I caught nothing, I could at least enjoy the paddle.

One more final thought. For anyone that might have been hesitant about joining in with this group since it was a "tournament", don't let that stop you at the next event. This was a very chill, easy going group of people and the whole thing was a blast. Nice to meet everyone and I hope to run into many of you out on the water this year.
JJay

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alan for organizing this event. It was great, especially the food!
Nice group of freindly kayak/canoe fishermen.
Hope to fish the next one soon.
RobO

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Great job! Reply with quote

Great job Alan...

Now if I can only get you go fishing with an old buddy of yours from the Cub Scouts!! LOL.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: