CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: drop shot setup Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stumpy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is nothing wrong with using a fluor leader with braid especially if your using 12' leader. your fishing bottom so i really dont see a fishing looking up 12' in the water colum and saying oh no he had braid attatched to this hook. talking with Tery Baskay he uses this type of setup for shakyhead fishing also.
plus dan i think you will have a problem with a fluor mainline on a 1500 reel. it has a pretty narrow spool, i would use at least a 2500 for fluoro.
djmon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i ended up switching to a sahara 2500 anyways; it just felt better on the rod in every way
Just4fun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record,..I use 6 & 10# fluoro all the time on my Stradic 1000's. As long as you periodically remove the line twist before it gets too bad,....I find that it's no problem fishing with fluoro on a smaller reel!

DJ,..you are right though, some rods just balance much better with a 2500 size on them!
djmon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

personal when i started getting into buying the shimano reels i came into three reels mainly;

symetre
sahara
citica (baitcaster)

although i have a sedona and have used the sienna and castaic; i personally liked the other three reels the most;

when its come to the symetre 2500's i think they are great reels however i've had a bad experiance with the 750 and the 1500 just wasn't what i was looking for when it came to drop shotting;

the sahara 2500 feels lighter and reels smoothly; minus having to tighting the drag slightly tighter; i think this is a great reel and cant wait to get out on the water and start drop shotting with this set up

**as an update when it comes to the shimano crucial's however; during that brief warm spell a few weeks back; i was fishing a bit from shore just getting a feel for my setup and noticed after a few times getting the line wet my last guide nearest to my reel was making a odd sound. the guide wasn't loose but then i noticed that where the guide met the rod blank was cracking and i had to make a trip back to cabelas; got a new rod and i'm ready to go again**

warranty- the only reason to spend that much on a rod; Very Happy
Phish

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go with Flouro on the entire spool. 4-8 lb. For power-shotting around cover, upsize everything and go with 20 lb and a baitcaster. I just watched Mike Iaconelli pull a 6-pounder out of tree after it had been wrapped for over 5 minutes on a power shot rig. Money. In stained water, you can even go to 20 lb braid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: