CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: What do you skip under docks? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bass Sniper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no way, its all tequila sunrise or any variation of a purple, sometimes early spring i find they like the pumpkin seed.
On twenty-pound test "
Just4fun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been able to skip a jig to save my life. If I have to actually skip a bait to get it under, it's either a green pumpkin tube on a 1/8th jighead with 10# fluoro on a spinning rod,....or a 5" flickshake worm on a 1/16th jighead with 6# fluoro

Biggest bass while skipping have been in the 4lb range,...but I've taken bigger bass just pitching jigs around docks,...biggest that I remember was 6lbs even from one of those stupid little aluminum walkways that I didn't think offered very much cover at all!! Rolling Eyes
OldBassTurd

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to Texas rig any of a number of different worms/Senko on an Ultrahead bullet-weighted Texas rig Hook....no pegging weights and and no wraparounds with dock lines if your bullet weight slips....

Got a nice 4 lb Largemouth at Highland ("the back cove") this past season just outside of a dock....my skip was lousy but he hit it just after it began to fall...almost pulled the rod out of my hand. Was fishing my trusty ancient AllStar Rod from the late 80's with a Quantum spinining reel on it...just can't let that one go.
Stratos17

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I throw anything I can under, If thats where they are..they bite. Seems that they are under there to get out of the sun and to get an ambush point on bait. If you get it on there nose...they'll hit anthing. The hardest part for me...is getting it where I want it to go on the first try
BassGetHooked

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Bluegill Terminator- Yea, I like the green man...usually baby bass colored senkos or similar color. Not wicked bright chartruse, not for soft plastics anyways.

Interesting take on "moving weeds"...I will be trying all sorts of new tactics this year so my color options may change a bit.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slimecoat wrote:
Bluegill terminator, I think what he means by any variation of green is, watermelon, melon peper, green pumpkin, baby bass, amber core shot, etc.
All those colors are great, as most critters in nature try to blend themselves into their surroundings to hide, and prevent themselves from being eaten by larger predators. This includes water dwelling creatures like bait fish, crawfish, worms, nymphs, etc. I agree that dark colors have their place, I throw those as well until the fish tell me they want some other color.

So start throwing green baits or you will be missing out on alot of fish that could be looking for the green bait your not throwing.

I'll have to look into it then. Even frogs I have better luck with black then green. I've actually never caught or had a blow up on a green frog.
CT Outdoors

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I learned to skip under a dock is a crankbait. 6ft med hvy with10lb big game works for me. It's killer. Also try a 4in Berkley Gulp Minnow nose hooked with 1/0 octopus hook no weight. Same rod and line and hold on.
stumpy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i usually start at the corners pitching on a baitcaster rod, usually 7'6h with 20# fluoro and usually a 3/8oz or 1/4 oz and most of my baits are craw imitations for pitching. if not i use a senko 5" ,color matching water conditions.
TILEMAN

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Skipping under docks Reply with quote

5" senko Green pmkin or black, on 8lb mono, 6ft to 6.6 spinning rod med heavy. you want a stiff tip and wacky rig it in the middle with a small circle hook. Once you get it down you'll be way under those tempting docks. trust me it works. let me know how you make out
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: