CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: CT DEP Dock on CTR Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobO

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: I went to the dock last night. Reply with quote

Well I called a buddy who doesn't fish and I convinced him to go night fishing with me.

I took all of your advice and went to Cabela's and bought sandworms and bunker. I search for the night sticks and they didn't have any.. (Really Cabela's ...no night sticks...) So I went to Wal-Mart and got a lantern and some clip on lights, some night sticks (grab the last 2 packs) and some snacks.

We got to the docks just as darkness set it at 8:30pm. It was packed with people. About 20-30 fisherman. The corner was mob with people so we had to set for the worst spot in the middle.

We set up our gear and I showed my buddy how to rig his pole etc. We casted out and he immediately got a nibble. He missed setting the hook and the fished robbed him of the worm.

I decided to only cast out 1 line as there was already like 100 lines out there and there was a guy and gal who ended up sitting right next to us fishing with live eels. (lots of crossed lines). So at about 9:30 my buddy goes to cast out and he inadvertently snags my pole that wasn't being used and he cast it into the water. Yes you read that right.. It went into the water and was swallowed up by the dark sea. Once it hit the water it was gone forever. I am sure someone right now has a new Cabela's rod and reel that they say in 2 feet of water as soon as the sun rose this morning.

Well of course my buddy felt awful. I told him not to worry about it as I was more concerned with him not having a good time and not wanting to come back fishing. I mean it was his first time in years and he was hesitant to go anyway and now he cast out my rod and reel in the abyss.

Well do to the cold wind and no bites after his initial nibble we called it a night at around 11:30pm.

As for the crowd of people. You were all correct. They were loud, rowdy and fun. Good people. One guy even walked by us carrying three pizzas. I would have given him 10 bucks for a slice, I was so hungry. There were quite a few line crossovers and everyone was cool about it. I would definitely go back with a heavier sweatshirt and maybe a pizza or two.

"Your welcome" to the guy with his new rod and reel.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey sorry to hear about the pole and the lack of fish. It defiantly can get crowded there but most people are pretty cool about it. When I fished there I actually kept a few weighted snag hooks around for retrieving gear, it usually worked with crab traps but I imagine it would be harder to find a pole at night.

My brother and decided to fish the mouth of the river last night with a little success, I think we headed in around 9:30 actually. No keeper stripers but still some fun ones and a 22" blue which was the first of the season.

Had a rough start too with some trailer problems getting there and then we lost the first rig of the season as we trolled over a spot that went from 18 to 4 feet rather quickly. Good thing though as the fish we caught came from that edge rather then the shallows which were pretty choppy from the wind.

I think both the water and the pier will be crowded this weekend but still worth it to try and capitalize on the end of the spring run.

Brian
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: I went to the dock last night. Reply with quote

RobO wrote:
Well I called a buddy who doesn't fish and I convinced him to go night fishing with me.

I took all of your advice and went to Cabela's and bought sandworms and bunker. I search for the night sticks and they didn't have any.. (Really Cabela's ...no night sticks...) So I went to Wal-Mart and got a lantern and some clip on lights, some night sticks (grab the last 2 packs) and some snacks.

We got to the docks just as darkness set it at 8:30pm. It was packed with people. About 20-30 fisherman. The corner was mob with people so we had to set for the worst spot in the middle.

We set up our gear and I showed my buddy how to rig his pole etc. We casted out and he immediately got a nibble. He missed setting the hook and the fished robbed him of the worm.

I decided to only cast out 1 line as there was already like 100 lines out there and there was a guy and gal who ended up sitting right next to us fishing with live eels. (lots of crossed lines). So at about 9:30 my buddy goes to cast out and he inadvertently snags my pole that wasn't being used and he cast it into the water. Yes you read that right.. It went into the water and was swallowed up by the dark sea. Once it hit the water it was gone forever. I am sure someone right now has a new Cabela's rod and reel that they say in 2 feet of water as soon as the sun rose this morning.

Well of course my buddy felt awful. I told him not to worry about it as I was more concerned with him not having a good time and not wanting to come back fishing. I mean it was his first time in years and he was hesitant to go anyway and now he cast out my rod and reel in the abyss.

Well do to the cold wind and no bites after his initial nibble we called it a night at around 11:30pm.

As for the crowd of people. You were all correct. They were loud, rowdy and fun. Good people. One guy even walked by us carrying three pizzas. I would have given him 10 bucks for a slice, I was so hungry. There were quite a few line crossovers and everyone was cool about it. I would definitely go back with a heavier sweatshirt and maybe a pizza or two.

"Your welcome" to the guy with his new rod and reel.

NEVER go fishing with a "buddy who doesn't fish" at NIGHT....especially when sandworms are involved (shudder.)

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
DV

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: I went to the dock last night. Reply with quote

RobO wrote:
So at about 9:30 my buddy goes to cast out and he inadvertently snags my pole that wasn't being used and he cast it into the water. Yes you read that right.. It went into the water and was swallowed up by the dark sea.

I did that to my self once while fishing a jetty in RI, except I casted my whole backpack full of all my salt water plugs, week old smart phone, beer and the only lure that had been working that night. I managed to recover the backpack on the beach only to find I had left it wide open. I also used to buy my glow sticks at S&S they were alot cheaper and you can get them in different colors to set poles apart when fishing with friends.

Sounds like you still had an okay time, next time bring a lantern! I am thinking about taking a trip down there this weekend thanks for letting me know I'll need to dress warm.
asianfisher

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: I went to the dock last night. Reply with quote

Was there this morning late got there around say 5ish am... looked to where i hit them last week.. not luck on lowtide... so went otherside of river and hit good but couldnt keep them on cause lost my heavy leader and only had light leader... so had to losen drag and couldnt set hook good... Not with 15+ dollar baits. So left with a 34" and landed 3 others that were just under 28". Wish i could go back tomorrow....Thinking about it.... Was there with white defender and kayaks in case anyone was down there from 5am to 10:30am....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: