CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Crystal Lake DEP Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BT - The ONE time I was asked for my license, it was at Batterson! LOL

Instead of just bitching about how bad the DEP is doing its job Confused , perhaps we should contact it with suggestions for improving its monitoring practices. I've always gotten a terrific response from it. I once asked (through email) about the coordination of dog training and fishing at Nod Brook WMA, and they put me in touch with the biologist in charge of it and the civilian coordinator for dog training activities. A little bit of activism on the part of law-abiding fishermen can't hurt. . . .

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not saying every time you go down there you will find these people, but the last two times I went down I was challenged to a fight by a drunk guy and panfish8r can back me up on that one, he was there with me. Guy started talking wiht us, he was on his way falling down, i caught him then got up and said he was going to kick my, well you can let your mind fill in the rest. Either way I decided to leave because I like my car the way it is and I really dont want to get arrested for beating up a drunk guy in a parking lot.
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluegill Terminator wrote:
I just want everyone to know that the DEP has no "backbone" and will not check the inner city ponds like Batterson or places down in Bridgeport, the hartford section of the CT river or other places similar. I never seen a DEP officer ask for a fishing license at Batterson, never see them during the weekend there only during the week when no one is there. The only time I've been checked is at Bantam by the lake patrol not even a real DEP officer. Just like Crescent lake the person there will only ask a certain race of people for there permit. It would be nice to see them walking the beaches at night, or taking a stroll along the Farmington River at night. Instead the like to bother people on popular lakes and take away from there fishing time like MSM07 who I am the same age as. If they don't want to do their job I will gladly take it to stop all the illegal immigrants who call largemouth bass strpers, chain pickerel bluefish, and bluegills porgy, and have stringers full of 7 inch bass!

I think the DEP is overcompensating for doing too few license checks prior to this year...probably to make the fee increase seem less severe. I've had to show my license 4 times this year (3 DEP, 1 police) which is crazy considering I've only been asked for it once before that. One of those DEP checks was on shore at Batterson, but it was just one guy in an unmarked F-150. I doubt Batterson will be much of a priority until that launch gets fixed, or in the event they stock it with bass. The DEP workers I've encountered seem very young overall this year. No one here works for them? The DEP chick who was at Black Pond on opening day recognized me at Lake Lillinonah (5/2) so I assume there's a lot of driving involved. If it pays something, it sounds like a decent job...I'd be making mental notes of all the good spots while on the job though. My overall opinion of them is mostly positive, with the exception of their survey's cheesiness factor. I had no problem with the $40 license (because it's worth it) and the rep I spoke with was extremely helpful over the phone when I was at the DMV (refusing to let me register my boat because the manufacture date is so old it predates serial #s.)

If you have a license but forgot it, just go to the DEP site using your phone's browser (assuming it has one) and navigate to the page that would let you reprint your license (if there was a printer attached.) Or just keep a photo of it on your phone...if you're legit and can come up with your conservator ID# then I doubt there will be a problem.

BT - the police really need to patrol Batterson more often. That's part of their job, isn't it?

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
DV

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um there was some sketchy people in the lot at battersons in the early am today. Overall I think the dep does a sufficient job, I just hate how they don't check places they can have a "high hook up ratio". Like any spot on the ctr or any local pond there is people either with A) no fishing license or B) destroying bass and other sport fish populations by keeping any size fish of any species. How in the hell are you that poor that you need to buy shiners for $10 to catch 10 6inch bass to make one meal?

I was at a local res earlier in the week and there were two "white bucket assholes" keeping anything that bit. Mind you it is a CLEARLY stated catch and release only pond, not to mention the 12" creel size for bass anywhere in CT.

Regarded travel it took the DEP 50 minutes from the time a guy called till the time they showed up at the CTR to check out illegal activity. I assume driving is big factor in the job, I honestly would love a job with the dep and I would fine the living hell out of idiots keeping undersized fish ( that is assuming if I get to carry a gun like the dep police not the 12 y.o.'s with clipboards) some of the bucket dudes look kinda sketch.
asianfisher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carry when i am in my kayak all legal of course but sometimes needed for some areas that i go into at night like New haven/Fair haven, Derby at night sometime DEP which 9 times out of ten is not needed but i always seem to find that one dumb a@*hole lingering around..... Wanted to be DEP but the schooling now is crazy for it...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: