That is one nice fat Pickerel!
Makes for a good fish fry -> White sweet meat Exclamation

SeaDog1
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome pickerel!!
bowhunter095

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i wish i caught him, a guy waved me over so i ran over to him and helping him pull it out of the hole
BassGetHooked

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ bowhunter- Don't eat anything out of Silver Lake if you have certain health issues! Check the Angler's Guide! CT recommends only one meal a month from fish out of Silver and that is for healthy individuals. I especially wouldn't eat a big old pickerel, probably the biggest I've seen out of that lake!! Let that breader live, and keep the mercury out of your body!

Nice, nice , NICE fish though!!! Must have been ripping the line off the reel!

@PECo- I got DEP surveyed on Silver this year (2011) and he asked if I wanted to see them raise the limit on bass to 20" there. I said I didn't see the point, since I rarely see bass that size come out regularly. I didn't think about them making it a bass management or trophy bass lake...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Silver Lake might benefit from some kind of Bass Management Plan. Why not make it a catch and release lake? Or a trophy Bass Lake? Do something with it. Would seem the perfect lake to try some kind of fisheries management on.

The one thing I don't get is:
If it's full of mercury, why would you dump catfish in there? Will people eat them? Would the fish eventually become contaminated with mercury levels?

I could see catching them as fun. If they are stocking them in there, I presume it's for catch and keep. Kind of like what the state does with trout.

Would be nice to fish a lake where the DEP tried to manage it to produce trophy fish. Don't know if Silver has potential to produce a high year class of trophy bass, seeing as the densities of small bass seem to be high. That being said they might be stocked piled.

I don't fish it much anymore, but when I did about 10 years ago, I only saw 2 bass in the 4# range caught. Seems like 20 years ago it was full of big bass.

Word on the street is icefishing put a dent in the decline of big bass. Who knows. I only know of 2 anglers that have caught an 8# or over bass in Ct.

It's not like it happens every day. Unfortunately this isn't Mexico! I wish there was one lake that had a better then average chance at catching an 8# bass. I just don't think there is place like that now in CT.

Lake Saltonstall might have been the best lake in the state when I opened up. But high angler harvest rates and treating the weeds with copper sulfate didn't help matters. Too bad the water company didn't know what they had back then.

Imagine if you could hook into a couple of 8lbers in a days fishing. You would want to be first one in line! Smile Oh well enought babble about big fish. I can dream can't I?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am aware of of the high mercury levels in the lake......i live in berlin and it seems that every fisherman in berlin knows not to eat fish out of there. I think the DEP stocked those catfish thinking that people would eat them because when i got surveyed they asked if i would eat any of them.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Yeah! Mercury in Silver Exclamation

Very Happy Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

SeaDog1
pikePERSUADER1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow nice pickerel, im jealous, might try it out in the snow tommorow! yeah i think the survey guy might of said 20 inches, but i was only half paying attention cause i was jigging and we started talking about fishing the ct river when me and a buddy mentioned a 36" sturgeon a friend pulled out and he seemed a lot more interested in that, but i think he meant a 20" minimum
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: