CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Bad end to a promising day on Alexanders lake Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
icetilt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Bad end to a promising day on Alexanders lake Reply with quote

Went out to Alexandars lake yesterday to my usuall spot with a good friend of mine. We got on the water around 11:30 and were set up by 12. We were going for trout and had a couple of tipups set up for perch as well on the bottom. We weren't set up for more than 10 minutes when my buddy got a flag and landed a 24inch pickerel on one of the tipups setup on the bottom for perch. A couple of minutes later I had a flag on a tip up that I was running for trout under the ice. Just got finished resetting my tip up when my buddy gets another flag we go over an check and the fish is burning out line. My buddy sets the hook and fights it in he gets the head out of the hole and it was the biggest pickerel i have ever seen in my life. If there were pike in there I would have said it was a pike by the size. Just as he reached down to grab it, the fish bit off his line and fell back in the hole. Day was going great I missed a trout jigging a couple of minutes later. Then the next thing I know there is some guy screaming at us from shore. Mind you we are only about 40 yards out on the ice. He screaming that we aren't lease landowners and that he's going to call the cops on us. Hope your day was worth a ticket. I tried to tell the guy that I had permission to get on the lake where we parked from a friend of mine whos family owns a place. This didn't matter he then proceed to scream even louder that he didn't care who we knew the cops were on there way and we were getting arrested. He didn't want us on his lake unless we lived there. So we just packed up and left instead of having to deal with this nut or the police over some rude idiot that couldn't have come down and talked to us. Im so irritated because I have fished there for over 5 years in the same spot and talk to every one that lives on that part of the lake about fishing and such when the come out on the ice. We left and I went home and dug my buddies number off my old cell and called him about it, and he said he had no clue who the guy was or where he lived on the lake, and the next time just to call him if it happens again. Some people are idiots. It's to bad because we had a total of 3 flags one fish on the ice and missed a couple at the ice jigging and we weren't set up for more than an hour.

;
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi icetilt!

I would suggest that you get your friend to give you a written permission letter indicating who he is with all his pertinent information.

That should give you all the legal clearance needed if the incident should happen again Exclamation

Best regards,
Seadog1
pikePERSUADER1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, have all your friends info ready and tell the guy to go screw!!!
icetilt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust me I already talked to my buddy about that so in the future if that ever happens again I will just keep fishing and wait for the police, while this idiot is giving himself an anyurism.
It just always amazes me how rude and self important people are. All he had to do was just talk to me and everything would have been fine, but instead the idiot felt he needed to scream and yell and make a scene for no reason. What gets me is that he is probably one of the few people who felt access should be shut off to the lake and deprived the other large majority of the people that live there of a great trout fishery that was provided free of charge courtesy of the state, becasue he is a self important elitest who feels only sailboats should be allowed on "HIS" lake. WTF LMAO
Flipper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have told the guy to go screw anyway! All that you did was validate his behavior. If you know that you are not doing anything wrong, then stick up for yourself and deal with the cops if you have to. I'll bet he didn't even call the cops! I can't tell you how many times I have been hasseled by home owners on the CT river that think they own the land right up to the water. Many times I have told irrate a$$hole to go ahead and call the cops. Same thing with some private ponds that I have permission to fish. I know that you probably didn't want to take the chance of getting a ticket, but if you have permission, you just let this guy ruin your day. Worse than that, the next time somebody is out there legally, this guy is gonna be even faster to run out and give them a hard time. Maybe if the cops would have told him to mind his own business, next time he would have. Sorry for the rant but I have been in your shoes before and have no tolerance for people like that. ------ Disregard. Looks like we were posting at the same time. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least the day started off good. I'm with Flipper...I would have told the guy to go screw and kept fishing.
icetilt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have but I didn't even have my friends number on me. I really didn't feel like dealing with hassle at that point, or loose my temper on the guy which was going to happen eventually. Hopefully he comes by this saturday and does the same thing, I will enjoy watching him lose his mind while I ignore him and keep fishing.
nightstalker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im thinking you call dep let them know whats going on and ask them for advice . if the state puts fish in as you say that dude doesnt have a leg to stand on. i could be wrong but at least youll know your rights. good luck
Dave N.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Alexander Lake Harassment Reply with quote

I do see that according to the ct anglers guide that there is "no public access" to alexander lake but who the heck is this guy to threaten you for fishing the lake. Mad How does he know that you aren't a lake resident taking a friend out for a little fishin". All you gotta do is tell him about the hunter/angler harassment law which in a nutshell forbids anyone from interfering or impeding an individual from partaking in the sport of hunting and/or fishing. All his hootin' an hollerin' won't mean squat, believe me the law is on your side.Stand your ground (maybe offer the guy a sip of hot cocoa) and keep on keepin' on Wink
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa - Whoa - Whoa Guys Exclamation

Alexander Lake was stocked with trout by the DEP. -> Don't know for sure if they still do Question

The main access was closed to the public, thus there is no other way of getting on to Alexander other than crossing private property!

The best way is to know before hand what the status of the water you want to fish is Exclamation

Call the town on how you can access the lake -> And get written permission from a landowner if necessary Exclamation

As for you guys that told icetilt to ignore (screw) that other guy -> Your way out of line Exclamation
VERY UN-SPORTSMANSHIP to make any such suggestions that could cause trouble Exclamation

Always best to do things in a proper and legal manner Exclamation
That way you have the law on your side if you encounter an irrate landowner!

SeaDog1
Fish On!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always easy to say what I would have done if I was there but I wasn't, I would like to say that I would have ignored him and just waited for the cops. Either way that guy had no right just shouting at you from shore without knowing your story or who you were. People like that make my blood boil and its easy to lose your cool, in the end you probably did the right thing and next time you'll be prepared to deal with the situation.
Flipper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Seadog - the only person who was being unsportsman like was the miserable dude on the shore giving them a hard time. Remember, they had permission to be there!!! Who is this guy to say 1 word to them. Does he work for DEP? Is he a cop? Not hardly. This guy was the one who had no right to do what he did. Are we, as legal fisherman, supposed to bow down to every yahoo who has an opinion or just fells like being a jerk? I don't think so. I try not to engage in arguments on this site, but I think you are out of line defending this guy and telling us we are out of line! The guy on the shore is the one with no rights, not the guys legally fishing with permission.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flipper wrote:
Hey Seadog - the only person who was being unsportsman like was the miserable dude on the shore giving them a hard time. Remember, they had permission to be there!!! Who is this guy to say 1 word to them. Does he work for DEP? Is he a cop? Not hardly. This guy was the one who had no right to do what he did. Are we, as legal fisherman, supposed to bow down to every yahoo who has an opinion or just fells like being a jerk? I don't think so. I try not to engage in arguments on this site, but I think you are out of line defending this guy and telling us we are out of line! The guy on the shore is the one with no rights, not the guys legally fishing with permission.

Whoa there Flipper!

Never - Never said I was defending the guy yelling Exclamation
Read my post Again Exclamation
Just pointing out that there's a right way and a wrong way of handling situations like that!

What I said:
As a sportsman you should "always" know beforehand what the status of the waters is you plan to fish.
Is it legal to fish Alexander -> Yes!
Is there public access to Alexander -> No!
Do you have to cross private property to get on Alexander -> Yes!
Do you need permission to cross private property to get on -> Yes!
Was the guy yelling out of line -> Yes!
As a sportsman is it right to inflame the situation with rebutal language -> No!
Is it better to know where you legally stand if confronted by such an individual and/or authorities -> Yes!
Is it better to be a good sportsman knowing your in the right, be totally civil/cool, stand your ground, let the other guy get the high blood pressure and heartburn while you smile and LMAO -> ABSOLUTELY YES!

That is the proper way of doing things!
Letting yourself get all rilled up over an idiot that you know is in the wrong solves nothing!

Now that is what I was making a point - Flipper!

I had the same sort of situation happen to me years ago as a teenager.
Irate landowner called the cops -> Knew the law and my rights -> Cops asked me to leave and I refused politely -> Cop knew I was right and told the landowner I was right -> He walked off sputtering like a mad wet hen with me smiling! -> I returned the very next day and he started again -> Told him (with a smile) if he wants I'll call the cops and have him charged with harassment -> Stormed off again with me LMAO Exclamation
THAT! My friend is how to handle situations like that Exclamation

If I had gotten arrested (wish I had Very Happy ) -> I'd have charged and sued the landowner and cops (false arrest) and collected monetary compensation handsomely Exclamation Very Happy

Oh! Went back to fish a third day (this time with 3 friends), same place, again landowner came out, but saw it was me! Turned away and walked off quietly!
He lost -> I won -> He got the red face, high blood pressure, and heartburn Exclamation
That my friend is how you get justice without you getting yourself into a Tizzy, HBP, or Heartburn Exclamation Very Happy

OK! Now flipper -> Did I defend the guy yelling -> NO Exclamation
Did you acuse me of doing so -> Yes!
Where you wrong to acuse me -> Yes!
Am I sitting here Smiling -> YES Exclamation
Do I accept your Apology -> YES! Very Happy

Best regards,
SeaDog1 Mr. Green
Flipper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Dog - Your quote: "As for you guys that told icetilt to ignore (screw) that other guy -> Your way out of line"
This is what I was refering to......read your own posts......end of story.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flipper wrote:
I would have told the guy to go screw anyway! All that you did was validate his behavior. If you know that you are not doing anything wrong, then stick up for yourself and deal with the cops if you have to. I'll bet he didn't even call the cops! I can't tell you how many times I have been hasseled by home owners on the CT river that think they own the land right up to the water. Many times I have told irrate a$$hole to go ahead and call the cops. Same thing with some private ponds that I have permission to fish. I know that you probably didn't want to take the chance of getting a ticket, but if you have permission, you just let this guy ruin your day. Worse than that, the next time somebody is out there legally, this guy is gonna be even faster to run out and give them a hard time. Maybe if the cops would have told him to mind his own business, next time he would have. Sorry for the rant but I have been in your shoes before and have no tolerance for people like that. ------ Disregard. Looks like we were posting at the same time. Very Happy

Hey Flipper Exclamation

Very first line of your own quote above -> Not very sportsman like Exclamation

Why bite off your nose to spite your own face Question

That is exactly what I was refering to -> Yours and others un-sportsman like suggestions to icetilt Exclamation

Read your own post before making unfounded accusations Exclamation Very Happy
You just shot yourself in your own foot there buddy Exclamation

Now it's END of STORY Exclamation Razz

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: