CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Fishing Tournaments
Viewing Topic: Aren't May tournaments a little iffy? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoooooooooooow! Shocked

Glad I no longer have any interest anymore in Bass fishing except as an incidental by catch (C & R) !
All this controvercy about Bass is all in your ballfield guys!

Though I'm finding the debates & arguments presented are quite interesting to read.

I'm now "Totally Hooked, Dedicated, & Addicted" to Kokanee fishing Exclamation Very Happy Thumbs Up

LOVE Exclamation ......My Little Silver Bullet Pyscho Fish Thumbs Up -> Great Challenge to catch on UL and Microlight tackle...... and Absolutely Fantastic to eat & smoke Exclamation Very Happy

Hope to get out West someday where they catch the really Big Ones Very Happy

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
flippy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vudac, Hey say what you will, I just state the facts, if you dont like it then dont post, And yes, I am very blunt and tell it like it is, if you call it mooing then so be it,, People that know me, know that,
perfect hook set

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well how about we just throw back all big / mid size lmb and keep bass around 10in

LoL i know some places where keeping bass are pushed do to over population of tiny guys

so vudak

You couldnt get a more accurate picture?
1: I rarely EVER EVER EVER keep any fish
2: I dont catch that many
3: I am probably shorter then them

I am getting out of this debate since I rather not read all of the mumbo jumbo

Vudak I was jk about the peta thing any way I am just trying to throw some jokes into such a heated debate

I got into a debate about having from april - june (or july) catch and release on some lakes / res / ponds

Many argued and yelled at me for that

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil,

Bear in mind that was an article re: changing to a catch-and-release season. Ergo many of the arguments suggest: "hey, catch and release is alright, we don't need more restrictive measures."

That was not an article aimed at allowing full-on open seasons. Perhaps the authors viewpoint might have changed if that was the case? Perhaps not. They did certainly cite a few sources which disagreed with their conclusion. Indeed, that Neves study would appear to indicate that a particular bass nest is in grave danger without protection, even if there should be enough neighbors to fill the gap.

Regardless, there seem to be several states in the north that regard year-round wide-open bass seasons to be a bad thing for their fisheries, as they don't permit it, instead relying on catch-and-immediately-release or closed seasons.

DirtyDawg,

I will agree it probably is almost impossible to determine how tournaments affect bass populations in general terms. Given how few boaters are in some of our tournaments, I guess I'd even have to concede that the overall effect probably is negligible.

Nonetheless, the same could be said for manhandling a fish, dragging it along the bank to take a photo, or tossing it as high as you could in the air to have it splash down to be release it--all of which are also either squarely legal or questionably so. Further, we can safely assume you can go right ahead and do all these things without negatively affecting the bass population as a whole. Is there then "no reason to hold it against people that do choose" to do these things? I think not. I would like to hope we would all think not.

Which brings me to my main point:

Ladies and Gentlemen, it is very easy to be a Christian on Sundays.

We take pains to treat these creatures with respect when we land them. We chastise those who put them on the ground, we explain how their coating is necessary for their survival. We teach our children how to properly handle and release them. Why, ultimately, do we do this? So that we can get one more season with that particular fish, or so that fish can live a long healthy life and pass on its genes to its future generations, for our future generations?

I just can't reconcile how you could do all these things and still want to keep a bass in your livewell rather than on its bed defending its young. It strikes me as hypocritical and morally wrong. Is a tournament win really that important?

And perfect hook set - i did assume you were joking about the peta thing but it's kind of insulting humor, so I didn't think you'd take offense at the picture. Just a little quid pro quo and nothing more. I can take it if you can Smile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow I almost thought you left me out of the response

though all I got was a simple couple lines!

Peta was kind of over board I guess but, still funny.

Peta makes no sense imo

Can we just end this debate Vudak is going to start a petition asap
The rest of those who disagree are going to go on a full posturepedic rampage taking pics of the empty beds and the poor bass bouncing around in the live well

THE END

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perfect hook set wrote:

Can we just end this debate Vudak is going to start a petition asap
The rest of those who disagree are going to go on a full posturepedic rampage taking pics of the empty beds and the poor bass bouncing around in the live well

THE END

LOL. You know, I think we would actually get along quite well. Two sardonic ***** in the same room might be a bit overkill for everyone else though Very Happy We should go fishing this year. In May, naturally.

Anyway, I'm ok with ending the debate, but I'd better clear a few things up preemptively before someone misinterprets a few things from my last post.

1. I'm agnostic (or as I like to say, I think you're all nuts... But can't be sure?) The Christian reference is an old saying that basically means it doesn't matter what you do when it's easy to do it, all that matters is what you do when it's hard to do it. Nothing more.

2. Re: Morality. Yes, we each have our own to a certain extent, but I think there is a strong case that broadly:

If you intend to release a bass that you caught guarding a nest, then you should not deliberately delay releasing it until all plausible chance of it returning to its nest in time to prevent catastrophe has vanished. Doing so is morally suspect at best.

Attempting to justify this suspect act on the basis that "[you] didn't catch all of them" is morally corrupt. It is akin to saying "Yes, well I stole, but the business can cover the loss, so who cares?"

For those who insist it is no big deal on an individual level to take a bass off the beds for an unnecessary amount of time, there is some pretty compelling evidence that you are wrong: the very fact that this animal has evolved the defensive trait of paternal instinct. If a parent's presence was not necessary, they would not have evolved into creatures that starve themselves for extended periods of time to protect their nests. You may have a point on the overall level, granted.

Nonetheless, again and again I will stress that I have never and will never try to convince any of you to not fish for bass during the spawn. It is fun, I have done it myself, I will do it in the future (probably next to a few of you, this year). As many of you have pointed out, the bass tend to quickly find their way home to their nests when released quickly and closely enough for this to be possible. However, pure common sense and nature suggests that delaying this release cannot have positive consequences. Therefore, I will (and you should) release the fish as quickly as possible to give them a fighting chance of fulfilling their evolved nest guardian role. If you don't need it for sustenance, there is no necessity to go out of your way to prevent the fish from doing this.

Holding a tournament during the spawn is not a necessity. What is the point, anyway, of holding a test of skill at the most opportune time to put fish in the boat? I suppose major tournaments could reply, "massive weigh in photo ops, ratings and big sponsor money," but what excuse does the local, small-time, amateur tournament amongst friends have? Just because your big brother's an ass doesn't mean you have to act like him, and if you're so intent on re-enacting the Mariana's Turkey Shoot, there are plenty of fine flight simulators available.

Granted, moving towards a mandatory catch & release period during the spawn has some pros as well as cons:

PROS
1. People can still fish for bass as much as they like;
2. Bass harvesting not permitted until after they've spawned "one last time." (harvesting for the plate-remember, your insistence on getting your tournament also opens the door for this).

CONS
1. People will have to wait a few weeks to have tournaments in CT.
2. During that time, chest thumping will be reliant on photobucket servers not crashing.

In conclusion, while many of you have asserted that there is "no" hard evidence that we absolutely need to enact a catch and release season, none of you have provided a great reason why not having one is such a vital necessity, either. A catch and release season would not decrease your fishing time, or fishing catches whatsoever. They just wouldn't be "official" for a few more weeks. I know, I know... The horror...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow this topic has been debated on here so many times in the past i have a headache from it. While i dont know the persona who started the post i think some people do it just to see how many people they can get fired up...so thats why i will avaoid it ...plus you can debate this until you are blue in the face and nobody is going to change their opinion on it..especially tounrament fisherman..ok have a good night everyone....
Johnny
hoppy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive said it before and i will say it again................bed fishing is nothing new!
its been going on for years in lakes across the country. I can tell you the bass fishing at the lakes i fish in as good today as it was 10-15 years ago. Whats that tell you? That yanking bass off beds does not hurt a fishery. Remember one thing......for every bass that gets pulled off a bed there are two more beds that will never be seen. Not every bass beds in 2' water so the nest can be seen. Bass lay 1000's of eggs!!!! Dont worry boys and girls.....having a T during the spawn wont make a difference. Seems the newbies are the ones that have a hard time with this subject.
Pauleye

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:40 am    Post subject: Bed Fishing Reply with quote

I don't target bedding fish for all the "moral" reasons discussed. However, if I did, I can assure you that the fish are safe with my bed fishing skills! Plus, there are usually too many stupid stripers around in May to target.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Fishing Tournaments All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: