CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Trout Fishing
Viewing Topic: Trout season approches, what are your favorite tactics? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fisherman100

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: YEAH Reply with quote

Boy when it comes to trout i always have marshmallows in the tackle box with meal worms, i always catch one.get a size 6-8 hook with a sliding egg weight and splitshot 1ft away from the hook and put the marshmallow on fisrt then the mealworm you want the mealworm to be alive so hook it throught the butt and the point out of the stomach and then cover the top of the hook where the line is with marshmallow that you put on already. let it sit for a few mins. 10-20 and ull catch one
Facebook.com/LorenzoNReyes
Passinthru Outdoors

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen guys rig the meal worm the same as fisherman100 but used a Berkeley egg or salmon egg. Never tried it but I might have to.

Visit my Blog at: www.passinthruoutdoors.blogspot.com
Passinthru Outdoors

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigEd, are you using the trout magnet bobbers when fishing or just using the trout magnet like a jig? Use the bobber to fish the magnet at a specific section of the water column. You can still give it action by slowly popping the float back to you. IT is killer!

Visit my Blog at: www.passinthruoutdoors.blogspot.com
JustinSolak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im more of a stream fisherman when it comes to trout. though nothing wrong with hangin out on the bank waitin for some fish for dinner.

as far as streams go, i was always wingin out in-lines, phoebes, sometimes live worms, and the occasional rapala. then i came across the pin minnow, in the 2 inch model, or the 3 inch when they prefer somethin a little bigger. it's made by yo-zuri, and can be hard to find. a little more pricey than the raps, but worth every penny. it's accounted for many a fish for me, even outfished some guys at the farmington a few years ago who were throwin out live shiners. been a while since ive gotten dirty looks like that.

try em out

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.
TT

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll do some shallow water trollin with various DB smelt lures, Copper mooselook or flies. If that don't work then we drop the riggers and troll some smelt naked or behind a dodger. 6 to 7" smelt catch big fish!
TMK

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When stream fishing my favorite tactic by far is to use a gold Rapala floater. A simple modification is to bend the eye ring into a triangular shape and you must use a snap swivel. When you retrieve you give the lure a quick twitching action that imitates a wounded bait fish. The hits are usually pretty violent and the hook ratio is high.

When lake fishing on my boat, I run a two method system.

1) a regular spinning rod with eight pound test with a half gold and half silver Thomas Rough Rider. I like the two color patterns of the Rough rider because it catches an almost even ratio of Browns and Rainbows. I notice Gold is better Browns and Silver better for Rainbows. I'm not sure why but that's my experience. As the season progresses and the fish get deeper this method becomes less productive except at first light or dusk.

2) I also run lead core line on a fly road with a barrel swivel at the end. I then run monofilament around twelve to fourteen pound test at about three feet or so. at the end is a trusty copper Mooselook Wobbler. It's a deadly setup.

I also will sometimes run a Davis Rig and live shiner combo. Interesting enough the Davis rig I found most productive for my fly rod was designed for fishing for Weakfish, not trout. Smile. I do get more strikes using this method but also tend to miss more fish than the Mooselook method.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

With all the streams and creeks down to trickles -> Will be easier to wade in and club them on the head ! Shocked

Get your limit faster that way then fishing ! LOL Laughing

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
Fisherman100

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Mealworm marshmellow Reply with quote

I got my limit with mealworm and marshmellow, with in 2 hours good fatties 14 inch, guess what i found in one of the fatties???? A huge 7 inch bass worm with a bass hook in its gut, im surprised
Facebook.com/LorenzoNReyes
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the report, Fisherman100. I wonder whether the trout ate the worm while it was being fished or after it had broken off.

I've read that largemouth bass will eventually eat any soft plastic baits that end up on the bottom. Biologists have found the stomachs of largemouth bass clogged with discarded plastic baits. So don't discard used plastic baits in the water! Wink

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
Thanks for the report, Fisherman100. I wonder whether the trout ate the worm while it was being fished or after it had broken off.

I've read that largemouth bass will eventually eat any soft plastic baits that end up on the bottom. Biologists have found the stomachs of largemouth bass clogged with discarded plastic baits. So don't discard used plastic baits in the water! Wink

You forgot to mention that it often kills the fish! Don't toss your soft-plastics overboard!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've become a trout magnet fan after this past weekend! Saturday I had to travel out of state but hit a stream from 6 am to about 6:45. I didn't bring the tackle box and didn't want to carry live bait around so I just brought along an assortment of small spinners and some trout magnet jigs with a couple of different colored bodies. The water was low, less than a foot in many areas, but fish were rising and chasing something. I have never tried a trout magnet on moving water but decided I would. Two casts in with an orange and yellow 1/64 oz magnet I landed a 14" rainbow, which was the biggest fish of the day. I was amazed this bait actually worked, especially since I favor more realistic colors. About 5 casts later I land a 10" brookie from the same eddy as it fell into a little deeper water. I moved around a bit and switched to a white body and got a 12" rainbow in some slower water on a twitching retrieve working downstream. I was really surprised the trout magnet worked so well and both colors produced. I thought for sure this thing was a gimmick. There were 3 of us fishing the same area and in about a half hour I landed 3 fish and didn't see anyone else catch anything, even the guy drifting crawlers. I'm sure part of the luck was timing and location, but for a morning that I expected nothing from it turned out nicely.

On Sunday I took my daughter to Great Hollow but it was too windy and cold. We left and went to Old Mine Park in Trumbull. She caught a nice rainbow on a yellow power bait ball and I again got one on the orange and yellow magnet on a slow twitching retrieve. I think I have a new favorite trout lure. I also caught a 5" pickerel which I was very surprised would be there!
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BigEd,

I use Trout Magnets also.
Work Great! .... especialy under a slip bobber where I can adjust the depth as need be!

I up the anti by smearing some "Smelly Jelly" (Smelt scent) on it.

SeaDog1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Trout Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: