CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Fishing
Viewing Topic: Lake Wintergreen Smallies?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jomonkey527

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Lake Wintergreen Smallies? Reply with quote

I came across a random report on a blog that said there were smallmouth in Wintergreen. I was not aware they were in there. Anyone have any idea of the blog was correct or they guy just got his species mixed up? Thanks.
rxpxtx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wintergreen in Hamden? Not at all a SMB lake. I've had the misfortune of fishing this cesspool several times cause it's close to my sister. It's actually a nice lake. It's just not treated very well. LMB, cats, trout, panfish.....trash, floating carcasses, miles of fishing line. Had a nice population of albino channels last time I was there.... really cool to watch them trying to figure out how to act like fish. They were right off the DEEP truck. I had 30 two footers at my canoe begging, but I didnt have any wonder bread...so they just kept bumping into night crawlers and looking at me like WTF!?!? I'm pretty sure the bobber patrol slayed them all pretty quickly after that, cause I took a ride over to look around and there were a bunch of them filleted and floating at the boat launch.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow how sad. What an absolute waste.
KingCranky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no SMB in this body of water. I live one town over and have fished here since I was old enough to drive.

What a great place this could be to fish for sport, but in all reality it is there for the peoples of Hamden and New Haven to fish for dinner, regardless of the size of the filet they are getting.

Straight section 8 lake.
Dan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I caught a Small Mouth in the Mill River on the Hamden/North Haven line; definitely didn't expect one there. I guess it's unlikely, but possible.
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
I caught a Small Mouth in the Mill River on the Hamden/North Haven line; definitely didn't expect one there. I guess it's unlikely, but possible.

Yeap, the bucket biologists will dump smallmouth bass anywhere. Heck, they'll dump largemouth bass and northern pike anywhere, too. I caught a 16 inch, 1-3/4 pound smallie in my local two acre trout pond while ice fishing:

http://www.ctfishtalk.com/countryside-park-upper-pond-03-12-t6548.html

The Mythbusters verdict on smallies in Wintergreen has to be "Possible".

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WoW ^^^ Thats crazy! Kind of cool suprise though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: