CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: hollow bodied frogs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MANIMAL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: hollow bodied frogs Reply with quote

what frogs do you throw? Im lookin to try one
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres a topic about the live target frogs and lots of people seem to use them. I've been using rage frogs which are coffee scented and they have great smell and movement but i havent gotten a big guy on one yet. My top frog so far is the zoom horny toads. I dont think they have a scent but they have good color and action. I also recently picked up a live target frog just to give it a try when the weeds are touching the surface of the water. Another lure thats not a frog but i use it like one is the yum might bug. I twitch it just below the surface and make it splash near the edge of weeds to get the attention of fish. My avatar fish was caught with one and that one was my smallest that day (i only used this picture cause it wasnt blurry). I've gotten a monster largemouth on the mighty bug when i was winding it in on top of the water because my cast wasnt accurate and WHAM he came out of the weeds and into the air for the mighty bug. The live target frog is expensive but i guess it gets the job done. And the rage frogs and zoom horny toads are about 4-6$ for a 5 pack. Keep in mind the rage and zoom frogs get beat up and ripped but the live target/action frog has a hollow body so it wont get ripped or torn but may be punctured by a big pike Very Happy .

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply

ive got my eye on the Target/SPRO frogs - just wondering which to go with because, yeah, both are some serious $ for a frog!
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a blackish brown one but ive never tried it yet. The place i got mine at had some weird coloring like yellow, chartruse, and black. I thought most pond frogs are brown and dark green?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up a Bigfoot Scum Frog. I'm not sure whether it has a hollow body, but DirtyDawg10 (aka Derek) threw one at Winchester Lake the other night and it sounded really good to me in the dark. I can't wait to give it a try.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah peco i just looked up a Bigfoot Scum Frog and it seems to be a hybrid of both lure type frogs - ill give one a try next time im out and shoppin around. thanks for the suggestion!
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ScumFrog BigFoot Frog is a hollow body frog:

I tried it out:

http://www.ctfishtalk.com/stub-pond-07-24-t10089.html

I like it! Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right. the front half is - the back half has soft bodied legs - best of both worlds! im gonna go try to find a dark or bright green one tonight if the weather turns bad and forces me off the pond
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, the BigFoot Frog didn't prove to be as durable as I had hoped. The legs went crooked as they began to pull out of the body:

And it began to sink, rather than float, after the two hooks tore into its hollow body:

I still like it, but as it wears it becomes less effective.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jackall Iobee (expensive)
&
Boo Yah Pad Crasher (less expensive)

Those are the two frogs that I throw. I have tried lots and I fish frogs a LOT.
perfect hook set

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The live eye frog stays floating very well, doesnt suck in water, decent weight (i have the bigger one I forget the size), pretty good sound.

I havnt used it much and have had one hit on it so I cant say much when it comes to how easy the hook ups are but, the 1st fish who smashed it did not get hooked.

I also use rage tail frogs which I caught a fish on yesterday missed one today.
They work well the heads will rip fairly easy though. Great action with the feet.

Not all that heavy though.

Has anyone seen the worm savers?
They are a piece of material that sits right against the head of ur rubber worm senko etc to prevent it from sliding or getting yanked down the hook.

If you would like you can pm me the answer so I dont have people going off topic on this guys thread
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: