CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater
Viewing Topic: Looking into new Surf Rod Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I went to my local Walmart and West Marine. 2 reels I brought included a classic Penn 4500SS and modern Penn Pursuit 4000.

West Marine didn't have what I was looking for. They specialize in the premium and heavy duty surf and saltwater rods.

Went to Walmart and saw 1 rod of interest that I also saw online. The rod was a 7' 6" Okuma Classic Pro GLT ML Downrigger. Saw the line it holds is from 8 to 20 lb test and can be used with lures ranging from 3/8 ounce to 1 1/2 ounce. I attached both reels to it and tested the casting and feeling of it. Even though I tested it and liked the feeling of the weight vs stiffness and how well the lighter Pursuit reel fit with it, I didn't get it cause I wanted to ask you guys first what the difference is with casting between a basic spinning rod for casting and a spinning rod for trolling?

One rod I have at home that I use for saltwater from a boat is a 1 piece 7' Ugly Stick for saltwater trolling. I have used it from boat and the kayak for trolling and casting. Doesn't cast too far. 2 big differences between the Ugly Stick I have and the Okuma I tested are the weight and butt length. 2 smaller differences were flexibility, even though the Okuma was still about 85% to 90% stiff, and action (ML vs M).

As for a bang for the buck, how would that Okuma work for a ML surf rod to go with the smaller and lighter lures I use and casting at least as far as 2 tractor trailers long?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: