CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing
Viewing Topic: rigging tip-up for trout Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icefishinsupreme wrote:
Do you use a weight if you are using a tipup with minnows? Even when you are not fishing off of the bottom?

I was taught to use a lightweight split shot
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icefishinsupreme wrote:
Do you use a weight if you are using a tipup with minnows? Even when you are not fishing off of the bottom?
YES. Majority of the time i use a split shot with a minnow. Especially if youre fishing just below the ice. If you dont use a split shot then the minnow can run right back up the hole and you wont even know it. If you fish the minnow on bottom with no weight then the minnow can hide in some rocks or heavy weeds safe from predators. I use a medium sized split shot about 4-8 inches from the hook (Three closed fists away from the hook is usually where i put my weight).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to use a size 12 mustad pre rigged red treble. The leader they use is 4lb flouro which is nearly invisible for trout to see. I like nightcrawlers for rainbows and brookies and shiners for browns. browns i like to fish for them 6 inches to 2 feet of the bottom in 10- 40 fow. Rainbows i like to fish in 5 to 15 fow with my bait 3-5 feet below the surface. try to find sandy oir gravely bottoms when fishing for trout. Smile
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icefishingnewbie wrote:
I like to use a size 12 mustad pre rigged red treble. The leader they use is 4lb flouro which is nearly invisible for trout to see. I like nightcrawlers for rainbows and brookies and shiners for browns. browns i like to fish for them 6 inches to 2 feet of the bottom in 10- 40 fow. Rainbows i like to fish in 5 to 15 fow with my bait 3-5 feet below the surface. try to find sandy oir gravely bottoms when fishing for trout. Smile

Water depth and water column for certain trout have worked for me too.

Browns at places such as Candlewood, Highland, and East Twin have been caught on small and medium shiners no more than 2 feet off the bottom in depths up to around 20 FOW. While jigging at Candlewood I got my PB brown 1 or 2 full cranks off of the bottom near a drop off by the islands in New Fairfield.

Jigging at Black Rock Trout Park in 5 to 10 FOW about halfway below the surface has gotten me rainbows and brookies.
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fish candlewood alot and ive noticed alot of the trout live in about 20FOW and 3-4ish feet off the bottom (sandy).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: