CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Out of State Reports
Viewing Topic: Salmon River NY Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We caught three late last April. All on rubber eggs. Already looking for my March dates as well!
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
bowhunter095

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow you must have gotten lucky. I have never seen any pulled out of the river in person but I have seen pictures from reports
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made it up for a one day trip Sunday. Weather was fantastic, which brought everyone out to take advantage of that last chance before the cold. It was ridiculous. Saw tons of walk-ins in places you rarely see many, even during the crazy salmon runs. Fished up top in Altmar with Scott and my brother. With flows around 250cfs and about a million people, the steelies were there but really turned off. After a slow start below the schoolhouse, Doug hooked and landed his first and only fish.

Doug needs to work on his fish posing, but at t 320lbs., it's hard to make a fish look big.

The fish were stacked in a tight location, with one guy on a float rig able to take advantage. We were in an ideal position to run a center pin down this seam, but it would have screwed everyone on the opposite bank. I stuck to flies and rubber eggs all day. The good thing about drifting is that nobody walks in to the side we were fishing, and we worked pretty well with the guys across from us to stay out of each other's way. Hookups were just about non-existent, so we decided to jump ahead of the other drift boats, moving well down from town. It was literally elbow to elbow down through the trussel.

This is a popular walk-in location, especially for browns (photo from last year).

There is one line for drift boats to take, and once you commit, you're in. Some guy hooked a fish between the center truss and the right bank after we'd started in. Not sure why, but he tried to submerge his rod tip and line rather than using his 11 ft. rod to elevate the side so we might have had a chance of going under. Needless to say, he lost his fish. We could still hear him a half mile down the river. Word to the wise. No point in casting once a boat is approaching that line of white water. It's not going to stop. We got ahead of the other boats to a location that is inaccesible to walk-ins, and set up shop for the rest of the afternoon. The bite was still tough, and I only had five shots, landing one. However, that was 3-4 more than anyone else in the area. Doug never hooked another fish, but he was fishing with spinning gear which really limits the volume of casts and thus the percentages of getting a hookup. I had all of my hits in about a 5 sq. ft. strike zone. Even losing those fish is a pretty awesome experience. I had a few take 50 yard runs on me in seconds before flipping a few times and giving me the f you. The only thing I've fished that is as angry as these things would be tarpon. Think of an albie run with a sailfish tendency to go airborn. It's a blast. Cant wait to get back up in a few more weeks, onnce some snow has hit the ground, and the temperature dropped to chase away the crowds.

Notice the line. This is the "Oh, sh*t" momement that typically comes with fishing steelies. Very Happy It takes a lot of these to produce one of the pics below.

Redneckangler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headed back up 12/6-8. Foot of snow last Sunday. Some more, and it will keep the crowds off the river Very Happy
fishfinder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man would I love to learn that!

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
bowhunter095

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had time right now, ill be up late march!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Out of State Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: