CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: the river ate my rod today so i need a new one-(suggestions) Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mep21

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with PECO on this one. I'm just much more comfortable with a spinning setup. I'll also echo what he said about Shimano. I've had zero issues with my Shimano reels (Sedona, Sahahra models) and they hold up great. Until I find a reason not to, I will be fishing these reels.

I haven't quite figured out a rod that I love yet. Trying out my first split grip with an Abu Garcia Vengence rod this spring (MH, Fast 7'2). Hoping to use this for pike,striper, and frogging in the heavy vegetation.
JesseC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks alot for all the responses everyone! Very Happy i ended up picking up a Cabela's baitcaster Pro Guide rod 6'6", med/heavy action, 1 piece, rated for 8-17 pound test line and the recomended lure weight 1/4-1 ounce. As for the reel i got the Daiwa Millionaire Classic-300 baitcaster after reading a ton of good reviews online about it. i'm going to be mainly using this setup for stripers, catfish, blues, pike and largemouth, because i already have an ultralight setup with 4# test for panfish/trout. The only problem i'm having at the moment is i cant decide whether or not to use 10# test mono or 20# test mono for the type of fish i'm going for on the new reel. I say this because i have lost a few big catfish in the past with 10 pound line snapping and the areas i fish sometimes have alot of snags so i dont like breaking lines by accident when im trying to yank an expensive lure free. I also took into consideration that my rod is rated for a maximum of 17# test and have heard stories of people breaking rods/reels from using too heavy line. even tho its only 3 more pounds, do you think that there will be a chance my rod or reel will fail before the 20# test line snaps (also i read the real i bought has a max of 11lbs drag)? my only other gripes about using 20# over the 10# on this setup is whether or not the heavier line will be overkill for largemouth bass and other smaller fish.. especially when fishing for line-shy fish... but then again i guess thats what i could use my ultralight setup for Laughing Maybe i am overthinking this wayyyy too much Embarassed but i just want to settle on a good all around pound test so i dont have to keep swapping lines/poles. any opinions or personal experience would be a big help. thanks again,

-jesse
JesseC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also take into account the fact that i'm relatively a noob when it comes to baitcasting reels and using the drag to "play" a fish, (i've always just reeled in without stopping to play line out and actually "fight" the fish) i've read that with proper skill, even a very heavy fish can be reeled in on really light line, i'm just leery about using the 10# test because i dont wan't to lose that trophy fish oneday because of my lack of skill with the drag, hence why i was thinking of using 20# test until my skill improves.
angry john

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might be better served by using braid. The line is thinner and handles great. Most of the line specs on a rod is based on handling. You can brake a rod using an in spec line. Unless your plan to go for huge fish you may want to check out a daiwa lexa. There a LP reel gets great reviews and might be a lot nicer setup. Not to say that the reel cant haul in huge fish either as a lot of people are using it on swimbait rods. I would also recomend a 7' over a 66 unless you have a limitation of some type. Small cars can make transport a major issue. If your not affraid to travel you could come to my house and i could show you a lot of diffrent setups and let you get a feel of the combo's. Its a lot diffrent than checking them out in the store. As a final note 11 lbs of drag is huge. If your setting your reel to 1/3 the breaking strength that should handle 30lb test. Smooth drag makes kits to so you could upgrade those parts on most reels.

http://daiwa.com/reel/detail.aspx?id=632
Mase2020

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeseC, as far as the line goes for baitcasting reels it is recommended that you go with 12# and up. Anything less when pressure is put on the line it will dig in and bury itself inside the rest of the line. Keeping that in mind, if you do go with braid it is thinner then regular mono and fluorocarbon line so you would have to go with its equivalent to 12 # or above. For example Power Pro 30# test diameter is rated at the same diameter as 8# mono, most will say on the box. Hope this helps.
Maximillion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If youre torn between baitcasting and spinning I would go with the baitcasting. DOont go to cheap though with the reel because you will get what you pay for and as a beginner a crappy reel can make you hate baitcasters completely. My first one that I still use today is a Quantum Accurist PT, not to expensive but its in the 100 dollar range. Also the Cabelas Prodigy B are very good reels. Just remeber for the learning curve heavier line is easier to use. Once you get the hang of it its a cake walk, I can cast a weightless power worm a mile at the right setting. Its like riding a bike youll get the hang of it and love it. After using a baitcaster for 5 years now I HATE using spinning reels unless I have to, theres just so many more benefits for me using a baitcaster, but make sure to maintain them and theyll last you a realy long time.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and for line I use braid on two baitcasters and mono on the other. 30# and 20# power pro and tuf line and then 12# mono. I would choose 30# power pro braid in moss green its less likely to break and knowing youre going to be fishing for bigger species its nice having braid for piece of mind. I use it bass fishing and dont use a leader, if the bass is hungry and you have the right color and bait itll take it, the only time I do is in super clear water and thats when I use mono or fluoro. I hope that helps.
PS if you do choose braid and you are fishing clear water just pick up a spinning beater combo from dicks for under $40 to have for more finesse situations
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: