CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: hook setting while fishing plastic creatures?? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pdcrack

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigh1590 wrote:
thanks for the advice guys... gonna try a harder hook set today. yea been using ugly stick of various lengths mainly 5"4 with 6pound spider mono (which sux wicked bad and down to a couple cast lengths) so im changin it maybe to florucarbon and a 6 footer that I was using when I missed´em with 8pound mono using gamakatsu 4/0... should I be using a bigger or offset hook. I like a shorter rod cuz I fish in my canoe alot also anyone ever use a sigle or a treble hook with one hook cut off rigged to the back of a softy

DEFINITELY going to want a longer/stiffer rod (no pun intended and no homo)
Also, why are you using mono with that setup? It stretches far too much and youre going to miss your sets a lot more. I like to fish those types of baits with a medium/heavy baitcaster and 12# flouro, but thats just me
rmflint

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you feel a fish grab the bait or so you think that's what it is quickly drop your rod tip and then slam it straight up. This method works like a whip. By dropping the rod tip down you create slack and when you quickly pull it upwards the line snaps like a whip as it runs out of slack and it gets tighter and tighter. Its the strongest hook set method. Check out this video it explains it better than I can. This works best with jigs, but really works with anything where you have to do a majority of the work in setting the hook.

Link
[/youtube]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: