CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Fishing
Viewing Topic: Pond off rt.9 with crane in it?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AustinB

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Pond off rt.9 with crane in it? Reply with quote

I always drive by the pond with the crane sticking out of it headed northbound on rt.9 and wondered if there was access to it. Anyone ever fished it or know someone that has?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copy and paste from Wikimapia

This was NOT a quarry at one time. It is known locally as "CRANE POND", and is now located just after the Christian Lane on-ramp to Rte 9 NB. This stretch of highway was Rte 72 , until they extended Rte. 9 to hookup with Rte 84 in Farmington, and they renamed this section of Rte 72, to Rte 9. Back to Crane Pond. This used to be a clay pit, that was used by one of the numerous Brick Factories that used to exist in Berlin and New Britain. There are a series of ponds in this area, along both sides of the highway, that all used to be clay pits for the Brick Manufacturing Industry. Crane Pond filled up with water too quickly for them to get the crane out of the pit, and so another swimming/fishing hole was born. This one just happened to have a crane in it. All of the clay pits eventually filled up with water, and they would move down a few hundred yards and start digging again. We are now left with a series of fishing/swimming holes that are used all summer and some people ice skate on them in the winter months.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've fished that pond from shore before. I had someone drop me off on the side of the highway. Didn't catch anything although others have told me of some nice bass coming out of there. I have also heard of people getting boats in there somehow. If I had to take a guess I would think that they came in from the other side off of private property
limeymotors

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ctfishtalk.com/rt-9-in-belin-t1091.html

And here's a link from this forum -Duncan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A guy once told me he caught a 10 pound smallie in the crane pond. Rolling Eyes Yeap, I know. Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cousin & I used to fish there back in the 80's on his 10 ft jonboat.

We'd get dropped off on the highway, unload the boat, trolling motor, battery & gear & be on the water in less than 10 minutes.(never got caught by the cops either!)-LOL

We caught some nice LMB in there no SMB though.(Perhaps somebody did some stocking of there own liking?) He has one of them taxidermied 6lbs I think.

Lots of fun back then, I wouldn't recommend doing that today, But... Wink

Gold is where you find it.

John.
Megaman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: rt 9 Reply with quote

A frequent poster here has gone back there..I think it was an extention of the Landfill/junkyard lake and has pulled BIG ass smallies..and huge pickerel...he refused to reveal his access point though.... Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is private all around. A drop off from the highway is best. It does have fish, all the ponds in this Berlin area do. Nerver fished this pond due to access, but have seen cars parked and folks fishing. Until the boys in blue show up I bet.
LMB, 21.5" @ 6.3 lbs. (Mounted)
SMB, 20" @ 5.8 lbs.
T, 23" @ 4.3 lbs.
eatsleepfish

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a small boat with a trolling motor in here last week, how'd they pull that off???

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eatsleepfish wrote:
I saw a small boat with a trolling motor in here last week, how'd they pull that off???

That's a good question.wonder if they got out of there without any hassles.

Leeway and elbow room.There's plenty of water to fish!

avidanglingadventures.blogspot.com

"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life,there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
JimiChanga

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avidangler wrote:
eatsleepfish wrote:

That's a good question.wonder if they got out of there without any hassles.

I guess you guys didn't READ MY POST?

Here it is again.
My cousin & I used to fish there back in the 80's on his 10 ft jonboat.

We'd get dropped off on the highway, unload the boat, trolling motor, battery & gear & be on the water in less than 10 minutes.(never got caught by the cops either!)-LOL

We caught some nice LMB in there no SMB though.(Perhaps somebody did some stocking of there own liking?) He has one of them taxidermied 6lbs I think.

Lots of fun back then, I wouldn't recommend doing that today, But... Wink

Gold is where you find it.

John.
avidangler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We read your post.That doesn't mean that they didn't have permission to enter through someone's property on Christian lane.The highway is just a way in without asking permission.

Leeway and elbow room.There's plenty of water to fish!

avidanglingadventures.blogspot.com

"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life,there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
Megaman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: rt 9 ponds Reply with quote

There is an access point from the Berlin Train Station..there are many folks fishing this spot...access from across the street (crane pond) im guessing has to be from the Scrap Yard (Pandolfs junk yard) or behind the old NB MACHINE COMPANY..im sure that is highly classified info but someone here knows... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: