CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Kayak Fishing
Viewing Topic: Fish FInder in the Yak Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@AVec80 - I bought a Hummingbird fishing buddy 120 last year for my canoe. I like the sidefinder feature as it will pickup fish in 30, 60, 90 and 120 foot lengths. For the price, it does the job but my one major complaint is regarding moving in my canoe while it is in place. I bought the mount that comes with it so I have it clamped to the side of my canoe. When I paddle to a new spot, I find that I have to pull it out of its holder if I'm going to paddle moderately fast because the movement of the shaft extending into the water vibrates the whole unit and side clamp so much that it's easier just to pull it out, paddle hard to where I wan to go, then put it back in place. If you're meandering around, it's fine to leave in place but any speed will cause it to wobble tremendously. Hope this helps.
PECo

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpio wrote:
@AVec80 - I bought a Hummingbird fishing buddy 120 last year for my canoe. I like the sidefinder feature as it will pickup fish in 30, 60, 90 and 120 foot lengths. For the price, it does the job but my one major complaint is regarding moving in my canoe while it is in place. I bought the mount that comes with it so I have it clamped to the side of my canoe. When I paddle to a new spot, I find that I have to pull it out of its holder if I'm going to paddle moderately fast because the movement of the shaft extending into the water vibrates the whole unit and side clamp so much that it's easier just to pull it out, paddle hard to where I wan to go, then put it back in place. If you're meandering around, it's fine to leave in place but any speed will cause it to wobble tremendously. Hope this helps.

I had the same problem with vibration when I mounted the side imaging transducer for my Humminbird 798ci HD SI on an aluminum round tube shaft to deploy over the side of my Hobie. I think a different shaped shaft (e.g., a square tube) might have worked better, but I never got around to trying it. You'd think that Humminbird would have tested the mount for your Fishing Buddy before selling it. Confused

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil, yes, they should have done more testing with the mount. It's a minor inconvenience for me though. The finder slides right in and locks into the mount so easily that it's really not that huge a deal to take out when paddling fast. Its just that you don't get readings while paddling. I still like it but would go for a mounted transducer style if I buy a yak.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Kayak Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: