CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Housatonic? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

striperswiper wrote:
Despite the best intentions of anglers practicing catch and release angling for striped bass, the mortality rate associated with this practice is not trivial. The Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission currently applies an 8% hooking mortality rate for striped bass caught and released by recreational anglers in saltwater ecosystems (ASMFC 2011).

It's the standard catch and release mortality percentage utilized by ASMFC. There are numerous studies which outline a higher mortality rate. Just because you don't see them floating away doesn't mean they don't die from the experience.

Are you a member of PETA, striperswiper? Or a Buddhist? Why would you participate on a forum like this or, heaven forbid, wet a line, given your zealous concern for the welfare of fish? I don't know you, but it seems to me that you're a hypocrite. Or perhaps your shiesse really doesn't stink, in which case I sincerely apologize for the libel. Rolling Eyes

Do you even know the methodology behind studies that determined the "8% hooking mortality rate"? Were the fish caught with artificial lures or bait? If they were caught with artificial lures, did the lures have single or multiple hooks? Were the hooks barbless? Were the fish caught in the ocean or in a river? What was the water temperature when the fish were caught? What's the mortality rate for uncaught fish, anyway? Or do you believe that uncaught fish never die and that Santa is on his way to YOUR house? Yippee! Wink

Most of the striped bass mortality studies that I've read online do not apply to the type of fishing that I do, which is similar to what RichZ does. Or, at least, I like to think that I fish similarly to RichZ. And by "think", I really meant "fantasize". Laughing I submit that those studies are not relevant to the type of fishing that RichZ does.

In the most closely related study that I've read ( http://www.dnr.state.md.us/irc/docs/00005782.pdf ), lure-caught striped bass mortality was most strongly correlated with water temperature. When the fish were caught in water temperatures ranging from 64 to 71 degrees, the three-day mortality was 16.4%. From 61 to 62 degrees, mortality was 4.2%. And from 57.5 to 59 degrees, mortality was 0.15%. Oh, the horror! Rolling Eyes

Today, the surface water temperature in the lower Housy hovered around 38 degrees. Based on the aforementioned study, I'd be willing to bet that at least 100 of the 84 striped bass that Wanna Fish, NWDarkcloud and I caught and released survived. Cool

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polstery! What is a regular. Do I have a specific number of times I have to fish the river before I become one? Not all Bass Boats cost $50,000. Your numbers here are way off. Maybe your envious because you may not be able to afford one of the less costly models. Did you ever see a $50,000 bass boat? Do you know what one looks like? And why is a fish flopping around on the deck of a bass boat any different than one flopping around on a dinghy style like yours. I would imagine that a fish flopping on carpet would be less harmful than the fish I see getting dropped in 6" of water from shore then having to fend for themselves to get back to deeper water over rocks and gravel because someone doesn't want to get their feet wet. And do you really believe that your so good at fishing for schoolies that all those bass boats just magnitated to you? Your full of a lot of "Self Praise." A legend in "Your Own Mind." If you don't like the crowds on the weekend get a job that affords you an opportunity to fish during the week like me. Much less stressful.

Striperswiper! Peco is a bit more generous than I. He posted the info you requested.

So when all you Keyboard Warrior Fisherman get your facts straight please post some intelligent information that is beneficial to all and not just to your personal ego's.

Those of you close minded fisherman who can't afford the $50,000 bass boats or any type of boat at all, I would open my deck to you and offer you a better experience fishing but with some of the immaturity I read on CTFISH TALK I don't have the confidence you would respect the rules of safety on the water or my personal property.

For those that post mature content whether or not we agree or disagree my decks are always open and only a PM away. Remember IP Addresses are a dead giveaway to you Keyboard warriors.

I respect some of the posters and their rants and beliefs on the Housy Fishing issue. I will agree that we will disagree. I respect the fact that you maintained a level of sportsmanship and maturity with out referring to people as idiots and morons. With that enjoy your time on the water.

And yes! I can be a sarcastic idiot. It's all in fun. The sarcasm is based on senseless lack of knowledge and fact made and directed towards lack of knowledge and experience and those who feel a need to use derogatory comments towards others who share in the same experience as us.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are "lies, damn lies and statistics." A guy who used to live in CT said this. I haven't seen much action on this site in ages! Thought I'd stir the pot a bit. You can look at overall mortality studies, or as PECo did, studies broken down by subsets or variables. Either way, you won't actually see most of the mortality, as those fish that die after release and tend to lay or get pushed by the current along the bottom. Check out a stream after opening day. Larger fish also suffer higher mortality, as do fish fought longer. Out of water exposure in sub-freezing weather also plays a role. Smaller fish landed quickly and released boatside without much trauma from barbless jigs are going to have higher survival rates, regardless of whether you are fishing from a big bass boat or the Dingbat. Poachers suck, and I think most folks here can agree on that. Whether you catch 10 or 100, at least think about and try and practice what you can to reduce the mortality rate. Tight Lines!

This is what sucks. Asshole got a year and a day for a half million dollar poaching operation.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
Maximillion

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from all the butt hurt people on this thread, I went out twice so far and each time we caught fish between Sunny side and O'sullivans the furthest I saw them down was just past sunny side but did not mark a single thing near Sikorski. Last time I was out was 12/22/14 and caught 124 and my friend caught 120.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just curious from Maximillion and a couple of other guys. Doesn't it just get boring as hell after a few dozen fish? What are you catching them on (rod/reel, not lure)? This October was a banner year for huge schools of shorts running along the RI coast, and I'm fishing with a 2/3wt fly rod and ultralight trout setups just to keep it somewhat interesting. I think I'd have to break out the ice jigging rod after a few to keep it interesting.
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, for one, enjoy setting the hook on a fish, whether it's a yellow perch or a wahoo. With stripers, the chance that you could hook into a really big one always keeps it interesting, although, truth be told, I'd still keep fishing if I were certain I'd only hook into schoolies.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
I, for one, enjoy setting the hook on a fish, whether it's a yellow perch or a wahoo. With stripers, the chance that you could hook into a really big one always keeps it interesting, although, truth be told, I'd still keep fishing if I were certain I'd only hook into schoolies.

Thumbs Up

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I'll be fishing right through the winter. I just don't think I could sit there and catch 100 schoolies. Hey, as long as you're not keeping 100 and it makes you happy, tight lines. If I'm fishing out there, it's going to be with an ultralight or maybe I'll try an ice jigging rod to make it interesting. I don't own one, but that might just give me a reason to buy one.

Days like this didn't make it too hard to find the bass. Had them all fall long. I'd still leave this after awhile to look for bigger fish.
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My intentions are to target keepers. If I catch 100 schoolies in the process so be it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've left this to find bigger fish

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I target big fish but this time of year yo have to weed through the smaller ones to get to the bigger ones. I dont switch over to very light equipment just to make sure when I do hook a big one and it does happen I dont want to risk losing it due to the light gear. Im sure it can be brought in using light gear but Im not very experienced in using light gear and probably would blow it not to mention the long fight with light gear isnt good for fish. I got both a 27 and 25 lber on Christmas night throwing plugs along with a bunch of decent schoolies. I fished last weekend and got about 35 fiosh of which 12were keepers with the biggest being about 32".

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: Follow-Up Reply with quote

I just wanted to follow up regarding the tagged schoolie that I caught in the lower Housy on 12/05, last year. I sent the tag to the tiny little address that was printed on it and got the following in return:

Whoo hoo! The tagging is being done by the Hudson River Foundation ( www.hudsonriver.org ):

Last edited by PECo on Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always fun to catch a tagged one. I got one this past season tagged in Delaware. I measured the fish, recorded and photographed the # and released it back. Sent in the info and got a hat. It would have actually paid something, but the grant on the particular study expired and so they sent the hat.
ChaoSki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lower Housie is where I will be spending most of my time.Sunnyside launch and Southbank park will be my primary yak launching sites.

Are there any Pike or Carp around this area/lower Housie? I did some off shore fishing from Southbank but no luck with carp.

With Yak, my options are way more wide spread. Hoping to get into the little coves and behind islands etc.

I will also be exploring Marshlands by the mouth of the housie/sound (around bird sanctuary). Wondering what to expect.

I'm also wondering when should i expect to get out there for the first time? Temps in 40s/50s?
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, last Monday, Thursday and Friday, the water temperature ranged from 33 to 34 degrees. There's usually at least one kayak in the water from Sunnyside. Regarding fish species, I've never seen anything but striped bass, white perch, smallmouth bass and baitfish, but have heard of bluefish, yellow perch, chain pickerel, salmon and the very occasional largemouth bass being caught. Now that I'm thinking about it, I've never met anyone targeting anything but stripers on the lower Housy. The further you get to the mouth of the river, the more brackish it becomes, until it becomes fully salt in the sound.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: