CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Fishing
Viewing Topic: Salmon Cove/River? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil,

Please, Stop thinking like a Lawyer!

You cling to the written word/description of Class Waters as if it is written unquestionable gospel.
The descriptions of Water Classes are generalized statements of conditions that individuals can expect to encounter.

I repeat -> Rivers, Streams, and the Wx are ever changing entities!

And no one is yelling Exclamation
I only emphasize particular words or points I want people to key in on.

I did not say the "sky is falling" (So don't put words in my mouth) -> I just gave all those (including you), that want to go to Salmon Cove, information that make you aware of dangers that can be encountered due to all the forces that can effect the velocity and intensity of water flow in the cove.

I "ALWAYS" push the safety issue hard, as you know!

As a professional mariner -> SAFETY has been a paramount part of my training and carrer for over 35 + years.
Your stepping into territory that I have substantially far more actual and practical experience then you!

("To all paddlers, there's no fear paddling Salmon Cove. You can leave your whitewater helmets at home") Question
What's this? -> Now your telling people what to do! ...Tisk - Tisk - Tisk
You really surprised me with that remark! Shocked

Again -> Class lll waters do not have to have rapids to be difficult/complex to manuver in.
Having a PFD, is though required when transiting thru any waters, especially those that present known danger.and any flowing water is an ever present danger (Period)
Large moving rivers and attached coves have dangers and those subject to tidal effects even more so!

I gave no mis-information on the Salmon Cove water conditions, that can be encountered, that can not be backed up with hard fact!

Tell you what -> Pick up a copy of "The American Practical Navigator" by Bowditch (Its as thick as a King James version of the Bible) and read everything that I had to learn to become a professional mariner ...then we'll talk again! Very Happy

Going out on water is not just a matter of good boatmanship/seamanship but knowing that that enviroment your on is "Unpredictable" and that knowledge, good practical judgement, and common sense is a MUST!

Any information I present on water safety will always be true.
That is exactly what I did !
For me to do otherwise would be against everything I know and belive in as a professional mariner!

SeaDog1

PS: Your fragile ego is as big as mine .... and neither have anything to do with this issue ....Bottom line is to give the best and fullest information on particular waters, anyone may have 1st hand knowledge of, to our fellow boaters/paddlers for their safety Exclamation

Fore warned and informed is the best preparation for an enjoyable time on the water. Thumbs Up
I did ! -> You didn't !

Us debating over minor details of water Class ratings is such a moot and ridiculous argument!

I repeat -> "WATER is a KILLER" -> Have respect for its power!

Last edited by SeaDog1 on Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:05 am; edited 1 time in total
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A professional mariner sank the Titanic. Another sank the Costa Concordia. Do you know what they had in common? So much arrogance that they couldn't admit or even tell when they were wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went there today. Didn't catch a thing the wind was so obnoxious we didnt stay long. I did however see a handful of people on kayaks and boats in the area...not so much in the cove. The water level was really shallow and was hard to navigate. Would have been much more pleasurable without 18mph winds. Its been so damn windy the past couple weeks its really starting to piss me off. Gonna take a trip back when the winds calm and there high tide next time.
Forum Police

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to some class 3 rapids. I have fished the river when it was above flood stage and everything in between and I have never seen it look even close to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7PX5OA0Cw0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
A professional mariner sank the Titanic. Another sank the Costa Concordia. Do you know what they had in common? So much arrogance that they couldn't admit or even tell when they were wrong.

Hi,

The watch in the crows nest on the Titanic could not see the iceberg till they were on top of it. It was a dead calm night and no waves were breaking against the base of the berg which would exposed its presents much earlier. Murdoch preformed the correct ship manuvers to try and round the berg.
Didn't happen and Titanic took a blow from a spur off the berg.
Recent marine forensics discovered that rivets used in Titanics construction was made of inferior material which was a big contributor to its sinking.
Murdoch closed all water tight doors just after the strike.
Captain Smith preformed his duties as he should have and ordered women and children to the lifeboats of which there were not enough of.
That all changed after the sinking.
As we all know -> Captain Smith went down with his ship. (Guess we'll never know if he would admit or tell that he did anything wrong!)

As for the Costa Concordia -> YES! The Captain should have been on the bridge when the ship passed thru a narrow straight with rocks on either side.
This was definitely a very bad human error on his part -> And only compounded it with his statement of falling/pushed into a lifeboat.
Everyone of my colleques have been appauled by this supposed statement which is still under investigation.

As for a Captain's arrogance -> depends on how you define arrogance -> A Captain or Ship's Master is totaly and singularly responsible for the ship and all aboard her.
It is his and his decisions "ONLY", that determine the fate of the ship and all aboard.
"THAT" is a burden of the most awesome responsibility anyone can have Exclamation

I had that happen to me when I was Captain of a 200 ft. Oceanographic vessel, with 38 souls aboard, and "went thru 2 days of the "Real Perfect Storm" in 75-80 ft seas on 1 engine 600 miles east of Cape Cod ..Oct. 1991"!

It was my and mine alone decisions + learened seamanship abilities that got ship and crew thru that ordeal.
If I had not made the right decisions -> ship and crew could very well have been lost!

Arrogance -> YES! I suppose so -> But if you hold the title CAPTAIN you better dam well have it Exclamation
Because having "Command" is a responsibility that demands that of a man Exclamation

In your case, when I jump on your A$$, its because YOU hate to be shown up for being WRONG!
That! Drives you bloody bonkers!
Quibiling over this issue of Class water is so ridiculous -> What's really important is what conditions in the cove one can expect and be made aware of.
If anyone has 1st hand information on certain waters that would be helpful to know about -> Pass it on Exclamation

I provided 1st hand observed (over 13 years) factual information on Salmon Cove and what water conditions can happen there.
Your observations are very very limited based on residency in state !
You flat out haven't put in the time or made substanial observations over many years!
You only quote what you read written.

If the information I provided on the cove "SAVES even ONE LIFE" -> Then I'm justified Exclamation -> That is if they remember the info I provided and use it!

Now with all that said and done -> Let me again say I deem you to be a good friend, debater, and super sportfisherman. Very Happy Thumbs Up

Best regards always,
SeaDog1

Last edited by SeaDog1 on Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:33 pm; edited 6 times in total
CT_BASSman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice a trend on this site. . .
chuckc
Forum Police

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CT_BASSman wrote:
I notice a trend on this site. . .

Sometimes its easier to ignore than engage......lol

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant we all just get a long!!!!!! LOL Everyone is really just trying to help 1 another guys and gals.
Sap, I hear ya about the winds and am very tired of it. I have had a lot of crap this year to do so havent been able to get out nearly as much as usual and with the exception of one time with really nice temps its always been windy as heck and it ruins my fishing experience. Im hoping I can sneak out today and hope the winds arent there. I went yesterday for just a bit and with all the crap going on in my life this year I just couldnt have a good time with the even not so big winds yesterday!

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
ifishect

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone ever launch off of cove rd. Does one have to worry about these tidel conditions there
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about launching off of Cove Road. I think that all of the land there is privately owned. You could just launch at the Salmon River Boat Launch at the mouth of the cove and paddle up.

Regarding the "tidal swing", there's nothing unusual about it at Salmon Cove. Today, the difference between the high and the low tide will be about three feet, and it will drop over the course of about seven hours, so it would be almost imperceptible to you. We're in Connecticut, not Normandy or Nova Scotia. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ifishect wrote:
Anyone ever launch off of cove rd. Does one have to worry about these tidel conditions there

Only launch from Cove Road if you have the tide timed perfectly. The 1.5 hours before & after low launching there is impossible. 4-6" of water max and lots of submerged stumps and branches. It's usually easier to just go from the East Haddam launch.

If you're looking to fish way up stream, you can also park and carry your yak in 50 yards and launch at the base of the Leesville Dam (fish ladder). There are two small parking areas that each accommodate 2 cars and there is a path down to the waters edge. Even that far up you still need to pay attention to the tide though, the rocks are not passable at peak low.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: