CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » General Topics
Viewing Topic: QUESTION ? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you hook a 16 lb. fish and you're using 8 lb. line then doesn't the line deserve the credit for not breaking? Setting the drag properly and "fighting" the fish is pretty much covered in Fishing 101. If you can't do those 2 basic things, then it doesn't matter what equipment you're using. I give the fish a "sporting chance" by using artificial bait and visible line. I don't like losing lures, losing fish, breaking line, breaking equipment, leaving hooks inside fish, or changing my line every month.

No disrespect to whoever caught the 16 lb. trout. It just wouldn't even cross my mind to ask what gear was used to land it...nice fish regardless. Having underpowered gear for the situation is nothing to brag about, unless you're lucky like that all the time.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
slim2043

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, Kira.

I believe if I had the $ to have 100 rods like KVD and them, I would want to have a specific rod for every situation, but alas I do not.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOHHHH....WHY,, to fight a fish,, I love a 7ft10" rod XTRA FAST AND XTRA HEAVY,,FOR FLIPPIN,, why play??? 50lb braid,,, set and heave him in,, period!!! Lock that freakin drag down,, now in the fall and winter months,, I do use a whimpy, gay, spinning outfit, for drop shotting,, I use a 7ft medium rod with 6lb floro,, and a gay spinning reel,, same with light hair jigs,, Ive caught 4lb smallies on 6lb test,,, so what!! I have also lost a few of them because of 6lb test,,Anybody that fishes for largemouth and smallmouth bass knows that you need power!! reason being the lure weights and how these bass can play you,, trout( brown and rainbow ) eat very small portions,, compared to a bass,, so your using very small spoons or whatever,, now bass lures weigh alot more,, sure I could troll around West Hill or Highland and catch alot of trout on a little phebe,, but for the most part,, trout are bait for the bass,, and I LOVE that,, I love watching bass follow and try to eat a 8inch Hudd,, try throwing a 8 inch trout swimbait with your little trout set ups,,, its not going to happen,,or how many times have you been trout fishing and had a smallie nail your little spoon and break your line??? Dont get me wrong,, there are big trout,, BUT for the most part they are bait for the fish Im going for.. Laughing
slim2043

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you really NEED POWER?

I'd rather handline a shark!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw8jyzFn9yQ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I catch orca using dental floss tied around a month-old sapling.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now try the handline with 4lb test Rolling Eyes
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kira & Flippy !

I hear your argument and I don't begrudge either of you for using your particular choice in gear.

BUT Question Per the article I posted -> "by your own" -> Guru - Bass Boss - Big Kahuna of Bass Fishing (Ray Scott) + the other Bass Pro Anglers mentioned -> That said that they get more bites and have more exciting fun fishing catching Bass on light gear and is definitely "more sporting".

Out of curiosity -> How do you 2 reply to that article and those Pro Bass individuals Question

If your tourny fishing for competition or Meat (Money!) or fishing heavy cover/obstructions -> Sure I know you would want to use heavier gear and the pros said they would also because they have a fishing time limit with "Money" on the line -> So did I !

Kira! I really disagree with only a few of the things you said -> Go to the IGA record section and look at the light line # test classes and see what record setting fish have been caught. Then tell me those fishermen/women didn't have the skills to land such fish!
Oh! And using the right gear/line "DOES" come into play very much Exclamation
You say -> Underpowered! -> Then why do so many very proficient anglers try to catch fish, with light gear, that tests their fishing skills and gear ?
I do belive that's in "Advanced Fishing 101? Razz
Also -> Record breaking fish (per IGA line class) caught on light gear "IS" very much worth BRAGGING RIGHTS Exclamation -> That's why they are recorded Exclamation Wink

Flippy! If you consider trout bait -> So be it! - even if many many people + the IGA have them on record as a sport game fish ! Wink
Bass are "NOT the End All" to many fishermen! -> There are tons of other hard fighting sport game fish out there to try for !

You did pro fishing! -> So, Again out of curiosity? -> How do you reply to the Ray Scott/Pro article Question
Your comment that anyone that fishes for LMB or Smallies needs power -> That sure isn't what the Pros said in that article (except for tourny fishing) Exclamation

Not trying to start a pissing contest here !
But Kira and Flippy your particular arguments are falling a tiny bit flat compared to the many different articles I've read written by the Bass Pros fishing with light gear!

Also, per our own CFT members posts, a number prefer to use light gear to fish with for the fight, fun, and excitment Exclamation

Best regards,
SeaDog1 Mr. Green

Last edited by SeaDog1 on Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
flippy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there was a tourny where you had to use 4lb test line or whatever lb test line than so be it,, as for getting more hits on lighter line,,, ABSOLUTELY!! you will and do get more hits,, as for setting records thats one thing,, almost every fish has a class in the IGA,, I remember a 200lb fish being caught on 20lb test,, I believe it was a tuna????? In the world of BASS fishing,, I would say most guys use 10 to 20lb test line, depending on what they are doing,, Hey if you guys are into playing and fighting the fish thats great,, I use 15lb test for carp and my biggest that I landed was 26lbs,, it took me about 20 minutes to get in,, Now if you want to fish like that you do need a very good reel with a very smooth drag,, thats whats going to make it happen,,, I have fished for years only considering putting fish in the livewell,, time was money,, so I couldnt sit around fighting a 4 or 5lb bass for 10 minutes,, and gambling on whether It might snap the line,,And Im sure that goes for all the tourny guys and hog hunters,,And Slim,, What lb line did you catch that fish in your avatar,, was it light line and was that fish a lucky catch??? Are you kidding when you say Do you really need power???
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Flippy!

Very nice and informative reply ! Thumbs Up

Best regards,
SeaDog1 Mr. Green
slim2043

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Flippy! Of course I'm kidding. Just having fun as usual. I enjoyed your post so much but I couldn't leave well enough alone.

The trout in my avatar, I caught that on either 2 or 4 lb test in the Farmington river. There's always a bit of luck involved but I have been trout fishing for years with light/ultralight tackle so I know what to do and what not to do. In other areas of fishing I really have minimal to no problems using light gear. I do lose a lure here and there solely because I have NO POWER in my gear to pull out a snag. But I don't fish tournaments, I fish because I enjoy it. I would say (with the exception of some lure patterns that may be out there just to catch fisherman) that there is a time and a place to use most/all fishing gear that is out there, that is why it was made. right?... But I can't afford to buy it all and I don't have time to rig ten different setups to hit the water so I fish what I got and I do just fine.

OH and BTW, I think class records for fish is shenanigans. Some sound impressive, but I've heard stories from guides where people request to fish light tackle and end up breaking off or losing a bunch of fish because they wanted to get some stupid record.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Slim!

Personally I'd like to see what Kira can catch on dental floss, though I'm 100% sure there isn't a line class for that, and ORCA isn't on the IGA list as it isn't a fish Exclamation Laughing Laughing Laughing

SeaDog1 Mr. Green Laughing
slim2043

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed!

Save The Whales!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dental floss is strong Laughing Laughing Try snapping it,,, its like waxed braid
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus it's minty, which the orca love.

PECo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you could make nice thong with it, too. . . .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: