CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » General Topics
Viewing Topic: QUESTION ? Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: QUESTION ? Reply with quote

Hi!

How many of you fish using Light - Ultra-light - or Micro-light gear Question

Fishing in freshwater, I use a 7' UL rod for distant casting and a 4'6' ML rod for boat fishing -> Both have Micro-light reels spooled with no more than 4 lb. test Fireline.

I found out, thru trial and error, that the reel is the most important part of your light gear -> You need a reel that has 7-10 ball bearings and with a very smooth operating drag.

I find the "CHALLENGE" of catching any large fish on such light gear very rewarding Exclamation

Like the recently posted caught Trout (16 lb.) on 8 lb. test line! Thumbs Up (Kudos to that Fisherman Exclamation )
This was caught in open water.
NOTE: (Heavier gear is needed to fish weed or obstructed areas.)

Again, the "Challenge" is not can you catch a fish -> but do you have the skills to hook and land a large fish that puts you and your light gear to the test.

I've caught large Bass, Pickerel, Trout, Salmon, Harbor Blues, and Schoolie Stripers (+ others) on my light gear in open waters..

My personal opinion, is that the fish should have a sporting chance against the fisherman to get away Exclamation

It's FISH vs FISHERMAN on "definitely" more of an equal level.

Fighting and Catching a large fish on light gear is "Then worth all BRAGGING RIGHTS to that particular fisherman" Exclamation Thumbs Up Very Happy
(Again -> 16 lb. Trout on 8 lb. test -> Now that's what I call worth BRAGGING about Exclamation )

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen

You can go hunting for bear with your bare hands or with an Abrams tank. Anything in between is a matter of personal preference. Your "QUESTION ?" sounds like an attempt to start a pissing contest. You can knock yourself out with whatever fishing line you want. Quite frankly, I'd be more impressed if you landed a kokanee with barbed wire than with four pound test Fireline. But unlike you, I think that fishing is more about the skill of the fisherman than his or her tackle.

I prefer using braid for largemouth bass fishing because I do not want to break off a fish. I've never had to pull braided line out of a bass' anus. Then again, Kira once posted a photo of a steel leader sticking out of a bass' anus. Shocked So, meh, whatev. . . .

Phil

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHOA there Phil Exclamation

The "Question?" asked was -> Who uses Light, Ul,or ML gear to fish with !

I made it abuntantly clear -> That using such light gear tests the skills of the fisherman to hook and land a large fish.

I even put in a disclaimer that fishing with such light gear was for open water and not weedy or obstructed areas.

I even said that "in my opinion" that I find it more challenging for "ME" to hook and catch a fish on gear that puts me and the fish, I'm after, on a more "Equal Sporting Level Exclamation "

I'm not after quantity -> BUT QUALITY, the FIGHT, and How Large a fish I can catch using light gear -> "THAT" (In my opinion) is the test of a particular fisherman's fishing skills and what I pointed out very clearly Exclamation

I made NO dispairing remark about what other fishermen prefer to use to enjoy fishing!

Your assumption that I'm trying to start a pissing contest -> "IS WAY OFF BASE Exclamation "

This is a fishing forum! -> So what's so wrong about asking who uses light gear to fish with and what success they have had using it.

Go ahead -> Use your heavy (Abram Tank) gear -> "Your choice - I don't care" Exclamation (I'd rather take on the Bear with a Pen Knife and hopefully WIN !)
Yank and Hydroplane that 1-3 lb. bass out of the weeds -> "I don't care because I don't target or fish for Bass "anymore because I'm "personally" way pass all the Hype over them " !
Yet I have "NEVER" begrudge anyone who does" Exclamation

AGAIN ! -> (In my opinion and for Me) -> It's the thrill of the "CHALLENGE and SKILLS LEARNED" to hook, fight, and catch a large fish (in open water) on light gear that gives the fish a sporting chance.

Pissing contest Question -> Your the ONE trying to get that started Exclamation -> What a crock of Bull Excrement your putting out Exclamation

Thought you Baristers read things thru thoroughly Question Wink Laughing
Obviously -> You didn't ! Razz

Best regards always,
SeaDog1 Mr. Green

Oh ! FYI -> I do use an appropriate test Floro leader between the Fireline and hook/lure I'm fishing with and fish I'm after !
So Shocked meh, whatever Exclamation
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, whatev. . . .

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil!

YES ! Your absolutely correct Exclamation

meh, whatever Exclamation Razz

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Stephen. I'm tired and cranky again. . . .

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil!

Yeah, I figured !

Not to worry Bro -> Your still tops with Me ! Thumbs Up

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer a 27" light action rod and reel with 6lb mono tied on Wink

At least in the winter anyway. I have to say it was fun reeling in salmon on Champlain with a fly rod setup. You could feel every move the fish made. I'll take em any way I can get em though.
chud059

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I'll answer:

I have 2 set ups. A shimano spirex with 6lb test on a 5 ft ugly stick (that i've had for about 20years) and a shimano spirex with 12lb test on a 7 foot ugly stick. I caught a really nice bass out of Risely Reservoir last fall with my 6lb test...had the drag perfect, took about 5 min to land.

Caught a nice small mouth last summer by the bridge pilings at the southend of the WL canal at dexter coffin bridge in Windsor locks, so glad I was using my 12lb line.

I used to have a shimano bantam baitcasting real on a bass pro shop rod that I had also for about 25 years.. but after some years of neglect I couldn't use the real anymore. Too bad though, I used to love that real... I learnded how to cast with no backlash and could cast a mile! I want to get a baitcasting set up again, but fishing from the shore all the time, I'm content with the spinning gear.

I really like Shimano's and Ugly Sticks.

I tried fireline a few years ago, appreciated everything it does but the stuff is expensive. Now I only use Trilene mono...in the red box. It's what I prefer.

This year hasn't been very good so far with me catching fish... tempted to buy some nightcrawlers!!! or that timbuktu real/fake bug stuff.
DickVanPike

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ID LIKE TO SEE YOU GO AGAINST A BEAR WITH A PENKNIFE TOO....JUST SAYIN
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DickVanPike wrote:
ID LIKE TO SEE YOU GO AGAINST A BEAR WITH A PENKNIFE TOO....JUST SAYIN

Hi DVP !

Good One ! Laughing

The "Question?" still stands -> As asked?, Who uses L, UL, or Micro-L gear to fish with (In open water) and what success and large fish have you caught with it ?

As I said, I (personally) find it challenging/rewarding to pit myself using light fishing gear, as close as possible to a level playing field with the fish I'm after Exclamation

Hooking a fish is the easy part -> But it's a real test of the skills of the fisherman to play and land that fish on light gear Exclamation

Again -> I do not begrudge anyone who prefers to use heavier gear.

I would like to try light gear to hook and land a Bowfin as they are reported to be elusive and super hard fighters. Shocked Thumbs Up

Do you use light gear and what have you caught with it Question

Best regards,
SeaDog1 Mr. Green

Last edited by SeaDog1 on Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

OK Exclamation

Found this article on light gear fishing, which should be of great interest to all of you who fish for Bass. Shocked Thumbs Up

www.rayscott.net/news/cr/igfabod.html

YEAP Exclamation Take the Bear on with a Pen Knife -> Wink Very Happy

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
slim2043

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use light gear. I always have and that's what I'm used to. Most of my rods are 5 or 5'6" rigged up with 4lb test usually and have been experimenting w 10lb braid(4lb dia) I have a baitcasting rod that is 6'6" MH but I don't use it that often because I don't have a boat. That takes 10lb line. I like using my UL rods in rivers, streams, lakes, ponds, on shore, in kayak, wading, and am not Worried about it holding up against 10-15lb striper or blue either. I do have two "surf" rods but both of those are light in the ways of surf rods 7' M and ML. I rig those up w 10-14 lb test. I don't buy into hooking and landing a big fish w light tackle as being some kind of massive achievement because for one if I did my ego would be huge and two isnt that why fishing is a sport? Dragging in fish w power lines and shark rods doesn't seem very sporting to me. I understandthe need for heavier tackle in certain situations and have had days fishing thick cover where I wished I brought other gear but whatevs. To each his own I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first got into fishing, I wanted to do it all with very little gear. I only had light tackle and wasnt very knowledgable. I used to throw crankbaits and spinnerbaits, my rod would be doubled over before even hooking a fish! When I moved to FL, I joined a bass club and started fishing tournaments as a non-boater. I was probably the joke of the club at first. I went to my first tournaments with 2 rods that were WAY under-powered! I slowly started to grow my arsenal and started to understand the need for the right tool for the situation.

Now I still fished with lighter stuff when fun fishing and definitely feel that shows an anglers skill. I caught a 3 lb peacock bass on an ultra-light rod with a micro sized reel (4 lb test) ! Not in open water, it wrapped itself around pads. But, I kept the pressure on and drag set properly. After like 10 mins I landed it! They fight alot harder than LMB!

I like fishing with the right gear for the battle, but I always enjoy the lighter stuff. I have given up on the ultra light rods. I prefer light action rod with just a little more stiffness. My newest rod is an Allstar light action 5'6 rod with a Shimano Sahara 1000 with 4lb test. Landed tons of white perch this spring and some trout. Best light action setup Ive owned!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I landed the bass in my profile pic with light gear in open water. It faught so hard that if I hadn't mistakenly set my drag too loose it would have snapped me off very quickly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxCdnQ8WEfQ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: