CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » General Topics
Viewing Topic: QUESTION ? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flipper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peco-mind always in the gutter! Personnally I think all of this talk about light line and light gear sounds a little bit like tiddallywinks to me. A little to finesse for my taste. I could use a piece of thread and catch sunfish - so what? The thing is, I'm going for much bigger fish than most and I need the gear. Ultra light fishing is fine when fishing for little fish (trout, panfish,bass) but I don't fish for little fish. To me it's like trying to catch porgys when there are stripers in the same water. Why not go for the biggest fish in the lake? As far as fish seeing the line - use flourocarbon leaders. Then you don't have to dainty up your equiptment. I'm not giving any fish a sporting chance, either. I go fishing to catch fish, not lose fish. I'd much rather show a pic of one I got into the boat than tell a story about the one that got away. Everybody has one of those. The past 2 times I've been fishing I have broke off 4 pike w/ 17lb test. I have landed 10 of them up to 40" during that time as well. What kind of trips would those have been if I had landed those 4 big mommas? I can speculate that 1 of them might have been the 20lber I am looking for. You can keep your light line and giving the fish a sporting chance - I'd fish w/ barbed wire if it was feasible. Why don't you just fish with your hands if you want to make it fair for the fish?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so you know, Damian, my comment about the thong was directed at Jim, not Kira! Embarassed

After I landed a four pound largemouth bass this morning, I thought about this thread. I agree with what Flipper wrote. Why use UL gear and four pound test line to catch a half pound fish and pretend that it's a 100 pound tarpon? Confused You can pretend all you want, but it's still just a half pound fish. Rolling Eyes I guess that my imagination isn't that good. I had a blast today when the bass swam underneath my kayak and actually rotated it around in the weeds. I'll take a medium weight, fast action rod, 40 pound braid and a four pound bass over an UL rod, four pound line and a half pound fish. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
Just so you know, Damian, my comment about the thong was directed at Jim, not Kira! Embarassed

Don't know if I'd admitt that! Shocked Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Flipper!

The original "Question?" asked was who uses Light - UL - Microlight fishing gear and what success have you had with it Question

As I stated ->("I do not begrudge anyone") using their choice of gear to enjoy fishing.

You like fishing for Pike! -> So you use heavier gear that is necessary to fish for those toothy critters.

Your post is slanted in only one direction.
Not everyone fishes for Pike or Stripers.
Plus they are not found in many waters across the country or coastal shorelines.

FACT IS ! Pike are in some states considered invasive and detrimental to other fisheries.
In Maine -> They really really hate Pike in their waters and "KILL" them where and whenever they are caught.
In the upper Mid-west states they enjoy spearing them in the winter.

Many fishermen/women prefer to fish for smaller species of fish, and match the weight/line of their gear accordingly.
Prime example is down South where they have Bream (Bluegill), Crappie, Carp and Catfish tournaments which are also Big money tournys and they "have to use" light gear for that kind of fishing!

Poo-Pooing and looking down your nose at those that prefer to use light gear, to enjoy fishing, is just being unfair and plain down right rude Exclamation Evil or Very Mad
Also saying "Go Big or Go Home" shows how singularly slanted your thinking is. Not very sportsman like !

During the winter -> Ice fishing (jigging) is a finesse vertical type fishing for Pan Fish/Trout/Bass that many enjoy with small light gear.
Do you snear at them for doing that next to your tip-up rigged for Pike ?

Everyone has their own particular preference on the gear they like to use!
But it's not right, as a sport fishing person, to insult or put down those that use gear that is not in line with your particular preference or the fish that they like to target Exclamation

Many Pros and Average Joes tout the enjoyment of using light gear both in salt and freshwater for fishing.

There is a wide range of gear -> Microlight ..............to............. Super Heavy !
What you use is a matter of personal preference and "THAT PERSONAL CHOICE" should be respected and "NOT RIDICULED Exclamation "

I sold or gave away all my heavy gear (Bass, Tuna, Marlin, Shark) and have gone UL and Microlight because I find it personally challenging and FUN Exclamation

Again -> This thread, I started, was just asking the "Question?" on who uses the lighter gear to fish with, their enjoyment/success with it, and not necessarily how big a fish you can catch with it Exclamation

Best regards,
SeaDog1 Mr. Green
slim2043

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, when you are dealing with toothy critters like the big ol pike that Flipper chases, I agree you need to have the beefed up gear.

Big Fish -> Big Hook -> Big Line -> Big Rod - Makes sense to me.

Also, you can't run a crank bait as well with light line and short rods.

As far as porgeys and stripers, I catch porgeys for bait for stripers and fish them on the same rod/line. Stripers love em.

If I had a particular goal in mind when I was fishing, I would probably be more deliberate in the gear I would use, but mostly, I just go fishin with the objective to see what I can catch and have a good time doing it which is all the more reason for me to use lighter tackle.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Dog - I will not be taking part in any of your discussions anymore. All you want to do is argue. I never put down anybody for what they do. I just stated what I do and my personal philosophy on the subject. By the way the only person putting people down is you! If anybody is ever looking down their nose at people it's you. You seem to think you're the regulator of what's right and wrong, but I have news for you - it's all just YOUR OPINION. You are the only one on this site that feels the need to tell people how they should think and what they should say. I don't enjoy being called rude or condescending. Why don't you do everybody a favor and just get off this site. Don't PM me, either.

Also, "Go Big or Go Home" is my personal philosophy when it comes to fishing. I can promise you that I have done every type of fishing w/ every type of gear for every type of fish in the 35 yrs that I have been fishing. I am done targetting little fish (except for bait). That's just me. Do I call you any names or scoff at you for fishing for Kokanee? Does my quote say "If you don't fish for pike your a Sally"? No it doesn't. All this BS you are accusing me of is made up in your twisted head. Stay off the computer

Last edited by Flipper on Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
bigpoppa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just try to keep my rods with the right setup for what I'm fishing for. My typical freshwater setup is my old Shimano reel on a 6'6" no-name pole. I fish mostly trout and bass, so I go with 6lb. trilene mono. I've found 4lb line isn't enough strength, and 8lb feels too heavy, especially when casting light trout lures.

I will say that catching small fish on really heavy gear can be pretty boring. I've caught small flounder and mackerel on my surfcasting rod - there's really nothing to it. You just pull them in, and they can't fight it at all.

My wife has an ultra-light setup. It can be really fun to pull in pumpkinseeds on that thing. Never picked up a bass or trout on it, but I'm sure it's quite a challenge!
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a seven foot light weight fast action rod with a small reel to match and six pound Trilene monofilament when I'm throwing small inline spinnerbaits for trout or 1/16 to 1/8 ounce jigs for white perch. For me, it's the right tool for the job.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flipper wrote:
Personnally I think all of this talk about light line and light gear sounds a little bit like tiddallywinks to me.
I could use a piece of thread and catch sunfish - so what?
Ultra light fishing is fine when fishing for little fish (trout, panfish,bass) but I don't fish for little fish.
Why not go for the biggest fish in the lake?
Then you don't have to dainty up your equiptment.
I'm not giving any fish a sporting chance, either.
You can keep your light line and giving the fish a sporting chance - I'd fish w/ barbed wire if it was feasible. Why don't you just fish with your hands if you want to make it fair for the fish?

Hi Flipper!
And to All!

I'm going to repeat the "Question?" one more dam time!

"Who uses Light, Ultra-light, and Micro-light gear to go fishing and what success have you had fishing with it Question "

Nothing -> NOTHING ! was asked to discuss the preference of light line over heavier line fishing.

All of a sudden I'm getting replys from You, PeCO, Turtlekiss, Flippy off on a wild tangent about using heavier gear/line that had NOTHING to do with the question originally asked.
(Note: Flippy was the only one who honorably stepped up to the plate and posted and explained his position, very clearly, on the subject -> Kudos to you Flippy Exclamation )

You people have got to read the posted questions more carefully before shooting from the hip with wild replys Exclamation

Oh Flipper !
The above sentences from your own post are without any doubt totally condescending and evidence of your personal disdain for those prefering to use light gear for their fishing enjoyment.

Your rant about me is without question totally unfounded.
Admit the hard fact that you have no room in your character to tolerate having your particular view(s) questioned in any way or take with any grace a civil rebutal to one of your posts.
Chirp all you want like an angry squirrel -> I DON'T CARE Exclamation Very Happy
Next time -> Just answer the dam question(s) as asked and not go off on some wild tangent and spout -> Oh! I only fish for big fish, light gear tiddlywinks, I give no fish a sporting chance, etc., etc., and as for catching fish bare-handed Shocked Ever hear of Noodling Wink
Your words, not mine and that Bull excrement of yours -> really really stinks !
And as for your personal philosophy "Go Big or Go Home" Question
Nah! Think I'll keep that postal thought to myself Razz -> LMAO Exclamation

One very last thing -> You said to me to get off the computer. Shocked
Nope - Nada - Won't EVER EVER HAPPEN Exclamation
How dare you post such a comment to me, the members or anyone in this country.
It's called the 1st Ammendment (FREEDOM OF SPEECH) !
I very seriously take deep offense to what you said BUT I'll defend your right to say it and I've already shed a little blood for you and all others to have that right.
Making that most offensive comment proves one thing -> That you are, in my opinion, definitely a most outstanding candidate for a DARWIN AWARD Exclamation

As always -> Best regards,
SeaDog1

Last edited by SeaDog1 on Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:51 pm; edited 18 times in total
DickVanPike

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

such a dick...hahaha gotta love CTFishTalk...
Pauleye

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:26 am    Post subject: Jack of all trades Reply with quote

I like to fish heavy and light.. I'll go three waying eels at the race and have a fly rod with me, too. I like to fish the Farmington River with a fly rod. My freshwater bass spinning gear is kept light yet the baitcasters for the same are heavy. I like to catch fish and want to have enough quivers in my arsenal. I try to bring in the fish more quickly in mid summer becasue I do not want to over-stress them.

My favorite fish to catch ultralight style . . . . hickory shad.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All!

Just so no one thinks I'm lying about how fishermen in the state of Maine really hate Northern Pike in their waters.
Here's an article printed in the Maine Press Herald:

www.pressherald.com/archive/northern-pike-spreading-fear_2008-05-06.html

As for spearing Pike in the Mid-West -> Google up "Northern Pike Spearing" -> Lots of articles and videos to look at.

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
Johnny Skeeter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is like the sight fishing debate..everyone has an opinion and we just have to respect it. I dont begrude anyone who chooses to use light line/rods etc to fish and they should not begrudge the broomstick flippin rod i use to haul bass out of cover. Just respect it and move along i say.
Johnny
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Skeeter!

Right On! Thumbs Up

This was just suppose to be a simple quiry asking who uses light gear and what they've caught with it. -> It wasn't suppose to turn into a debate of "Light gear vs Heavy gear". Shocked

Boggles the mind doesn't it Rolling Eyes when people just can't keep to the asked question and get themselves all jacked-up and go off on a wild ride in a completely different direction !

Oh well !

Hope you've been having a good summer Exclamation

Best regards,
SeaDog1 Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: