CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: What size line for bass fishing Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fishfinder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: What size line for bass fishing Reply with quote

I havent done much bass fishing in my life but now that Ill have a Kayak to do some I guess Ill surely want to do some and set up a pole for it. What size line do you guys recommend. Also, what are some good stuff to throw out in what sizes? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
slim2043

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends on what you're throwing and what techniques you're using. Cranks and spinners some kind of mono (size depends)
worms jigs etc I like fluoro or copolymer ( I like to use 15 lb test normally but I put 30lb on my flipping stick)
Heavy cover 65lb power pro.

When I take my kayak out this year I'll have a 6'6 medium moderate rod for cranks and spinners w 17lb mono and a 6'6 MH XF rod w 15lb pline copolymer for jigs and worms. If you plan on doing more finesse fishing I'd recommend a M or ML rod w 6-8 lb fluoro

Hope this helps

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep. depends what you are throwin... I light light action, so I use 8lb for crankbaits, and in-line spinners, 12-17 on my spinner bait set up, and anywhere between 20-40 lb on my flippin stick, especially if Im flipping in schmootz.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yoorah!

Finally someone after my own heart using line that gives Bass a fighting chance.

Not 30-70 lb. braid and yanking that poor 1-4 lb. Bass and not hydroplaning it out of the water!

Only those after T money use those type lines! Shocked

Give the Bass a sporting chance! Thumbs Up

SeaDog1
steven1smith

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey seadog,

I use 30lb braid and I'm not after T money Confused

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxCdnQ8WEfQ
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can fish with two pound test mono for bass if you want, Stephen. Increased mortality from broken off tackle might excite you, but not I. "Fighting chance"? Yeah, right. Rolling Eyes

fishfinder - I use spinning tackle. I, too, like PowerPro braid for fishing heavy cover or any lure that requires a strong hookset. I've started using P-Line Fluoro for crankbaits, jerkbaits and spinnerbaits. Berkley Nanofil is good for long distance casting of search lures like small spinnerbaits and buzzbaits, but it doesn't have much shock resistance, so no strong hooksets unless you have an extra soft rod. I HATE mono. It's like fishing with a rubber band.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
You can fish with two pound test mono for bass if you want, Stephen. Increased mortality from broken off tackle might excite you, but not I. "Fighting chance"? Yeah, right. Rolling Eyes .

Oh Phil!

When I use to fish for bass, I'd use 8-15 lb test.

2-3 lb. test Fireline I use strictly for Kokanee Salmon. (Fun Too Exclamation )

As I said -> "Use to fish for Bass" -> I personally don't target them any more if at all.
Targeting other hard fighting game fish on Ultra-light or Micro-light tackle I find personally much more challenging! Very Happy

By the way -> You do catch Bass on your light line ice fishing rods -> "Don't You!" (Your pictures prove it)-> Now that's giving the fish a fighting chance! Rolling Eyes LOL Laughing

SeaDog1 Mr. Green

Last edited by SeaDog1 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're a hapless, er, hopeless romantic, Stephen. Rolling Eyes It's a wonder that you're not a fly fisherman. Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Phil!

You've forgotten! -> "I am a Fly Fisherman (Have been since I was a Teen)" + I even have my own fly tying roll-top desk stuffed with tons of flytying material. Shocked
Even fly fish saltwater sometimes! (Mahi-Mahi on a flyrod is a wild experience Smile )

Remember I told you I was suppose to go to New Zealand 3 years ago, but that that scientific expedition got canceled -> Was suppose to fly fish the North island with a friend of mine for sea-run Browns!

Localy the 2 places you can most likely find me is West Hill Pond for Kokanees and the Farmington River for Trout.
Oh! And Shad on the Ct. River when they're running. (Poor Man's Salmon -> Fun on a Fly Rod Razz )
All depends upon the mood I'm in! Very Happy

SeaDog1
bdiggy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got 2 rigs set up with 30lb Stren sonicbraid for this season. ML St. Croix Triumph with a Quantum Smoke 30 reel, and a M Shimano Simitar with a Shimano Symetre 4000. Then to run live baits and the Alabama rig, I have 50 lb Stren sonicbraid with a new MH Cabela's Mag Touch with my old Quantum Bluerunner 50. I'm not going to light line my gear to lose $9 on a 2 lb bass. Just not going to happen. Mono is crap. You let it sit for a season and you end up with a coiled mess next year. Braid doesn't have all that crappy memory to deal with, and you can feel everything so much better with it.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your input guys. It helps me make a better informed decision!

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
Ryanmalloy44

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mono 100% is not crap. You'd be suprised in how many fish you probably haven't caught fishing braid all year for everything.

Break it down barney style for you. Early in the year use a lighter line as the fish are more sluggish and you need as much sensitivity to feel the bite. Mono or Flouro is to each is own. I personally haven't found a Flouro that works for me but I know a lot of guys that swear by it.

Most of these guys have hit the nail on the head with the correct weight to bait ratio's. All finesse I will fish 4-8lb mono for a majority of the year. If i'm using a jig in the warmer months i'll use 16lb flouro as much as I hate to.

Top water and flipping a in heavy cover I find 50lb braid is a happy median to accomplish both as I don't bring 18 rod and reel combo's on my kayak.

I have two rod holders on my kayak so I find one casting reel set up with 50 pound braid works great. The other set up i'll use 8-10lb mono for finesse set ups.
bdiggy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, "crap" may have been taking it to far, but the castability and longevity of braid in comparison will keep me from ever returning. 98% of my fishing year is done with heavy spinners as well though, so I may be slightly biased Wink All of my setups also have an 18" flourocarbon leader. It increased the catch rate dramatically with the "invisible" lead off the lure, and the flouro doesn't get caught in the spinner split rings like the braid alone has done many times over.
Ryanmalloy44

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now this makes more sense Laughing
perfect hook set

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it depends on how many reals you have
AND
what lures / bait you are throwing

rod length also goes along with what youre throwing

I usually end up using 10 - 12llb line
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4