CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing
Viewing Topic: IT's ALL OVER! Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Flipper!

Hear you!
Per the ruling by DEP, "quite some time ago", a treble hook is considered as a single hook unit and not 3 hooks.

Example: Many Pike rigs use 2 treble hooks so if the single hook rule applied that would mean those rigs would be illegal as the total would be 6 hooks.

So legally you can have 3 treble hooks separated on 1 line and is counted as having only 3 hooks.

SeaDog1
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen - You missed Flipper's point. The Angler's Guide says, "a maximum of three hooks may be baited". It doesn't say, "a maximum of three hooks". And the definition is crystal clear that a treble hook counts as three hooks. "3 treble hooks separated on 1 line" would count as nine hooks.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil!

NO! This argument over treble hooks was resolved by a DEP ruling a long long long time ago Exclamation

Treble hooks are counted as a single hook unit irregardless of how many points there are Exclamation
I'm totally positive on this!
Call DEP if you don't belive me Exclamation

SeaDog1
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I lawyer, I always prefer to refer to written rules and regulations. And as Flipper posted from the 2011 Connecticut Angler's Guide:

Quote:
FISHHOOK or HOOK A curved, pointed device, with or without barb, used to catch fish. Hooks may be single, double or treble and each point shall be considered as a single hook.

It doesn't get much more clear than that. Anyway, I thought that you had resolved to stop relying on hearsay. Very Happy

Last edited by PECo on Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil!

No hearsay here Exclamation
This is straight from the horses mouth (DEP).

Trebles are considered a single unit no matter how many points are on it Exclamation

If they not then all the Pike fishermen here in Ct. using double treble Pike rigs would be fishing illegally Exclamation

Pike rigs sold here in Ct. are single + treble = 4 points or double treble hook rigs = 6 points.

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
Flipper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since a new anglers guide is printed every year I would think that any definition changes would be updated every year with the new printing. According to these definitions, a lure w/ three treble hooks (crankbait) actually has 9 hooks as Phil said. If I can use 1 lure w/ 9 hooks, why couldn't I use 9 lures w/ 1 hook each. As long as only 3 "points" have bait on them. So technically I should be able to run an umbrella rig w/ as many swimbaits as I want, and trail it w/ 3 live minnows (each on a single hook). Now that would be nice trolling for stripers in the river! Laughing Does anybody else see these definition as I do?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd defend you on this one, Damian. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I hear you flipper!
Lots of fishermen use trolling rigs for Trout and Kokanee here in Ct.

Many troll rigs have single + treble hooks combinations as well as double treble hook combinations. And fishermen put bait on them!

Every tackle shop in Ct. sells such rigs and have so for decades!

If they where considered illegal -> they wouldn't be allowed to sell them!

SeaDog1
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Well.....I can see your point!

SeaDog1
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen, in my experience, many people, including lawyers and even judges Shocked , have very poor reading comprehension. I wouldn't just take the word of anyone who answers the phone at the DEP on the rules and regulations, especially when I have them in writing. That's why I know the sign at Spring Pond that states The Town of Avon's Ordinance #49 prohibits ice fishing there is wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad I'm not the only one who see's it this way. I wasn't trying to start an arguement, but get peoples opinion on the subject and maybe enlighten some anglers who were unaware of the regs. And remember also, it may not necesarily be illegal to sell something that is illegal to use. For example, Cabellas in EH sells 20' and 25' sein nets when only 15' is allowed in CT. Thanks for the input guys.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys!

WELL........Just got off the phone with Capt. Camejo of the Ct. DEP in Harwington.

Per the Capt. -> YES!....CONFIRMED Exclamation .... Treble hooks are considered one unit same as a single hook Exclamation because so many lures have treble hooks today.

The definition "Fishhook or Hook" is out of date and has not been enforced for years!

As for "floating ice tip-ups" or "jug fishing" -> Legal in Ct., but only 2 devices (with 3 hooks singles or trebles) and attended can be used per fisherman!
And it was Capt. Camejo who made that call with Blaine Exclamation

Hope this now settles both controversies Very Happy

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
Stephen, in my experience, many people, including lawyers and even judges Shocked , have very poor reading comprehension. I wouldn't just take the word of anyone who answers the phone at the DEP on the rules and regulations, especially when I have them in writing. That's why I know the sign at Spring Pond that states The Town of Avon's Ordinance #49 prohibits ice fishing there is wrong.

Hi Phil!

Totally agree with you!
That's why I always try talk to someone at DEP in authority that can provide the absolute latest uptodate rulings.
So in the same sense as the Avon sign some of the definitions as printed in the Angler's Guide are wrong!
Definitely not going to question Capt. Camejo who makes rulings!

Oh! I only made "one" hearsay report and that was with BS on ice conditions and I... man'd up... to that error Exclamation Thumbs Up

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see the treble hook ruling because some crankbaits have 3 trebles which would be 9 hooks and illegal. But I'm pretty sure they can be used.

As far as baited hooks goes I was wondering the same thing myself when I read that this winter. I would guess that a lure with hooks would be considered a baited hook, with or without bait. The lure itself is an artificial bait. However a bare hook with no lure would not be considered a baited hook. This is just my interpretation from reading it.
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, there's no controversy here about what a hook is. It's clearly defined in the 2011 Connecticut Angler's Guide. I missed the section in the Guide that declares, "Capt. Camejo has the ultimate authority to make whatever rules he sees fit." Your evaluation of your buddy's qualifications is your own. His opinion, and an opinion is what it is, amounts to "Because I told you so." That only flies in autocracies like Libya and, until recently, Egypt. Luckily, we live in the United States of America, where the rule of law prevails. Cue Kate Smith. Very Happy It pisses me off when bureaucats, whose salaries we pay, think that they're above the law. They're not.

Like I said, if Flipper were ever cited for fishing a rig with a dozen hooks, but only three of which were baited, I would be happy to represent him at his hearing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: