CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing
Viewing Topic: IT's ALL OVER! Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All!

Just as an FYI -> I scoured and I do mean scoured, "high and low", the internet to find what the difference is between the terms angling and ice fishing.
I did also checked almost all the northern US states dept. of fish and game + Canada to see how they make the distinction between the 2 terms.

The only thing that I could find written is:

Angling is fishing with a hook and line - usually with a rod.
Ice fishing is Angling with hook and line through a hole on a solid form of water.

So the question is -> How do the states determine the difference between the 2 terms with obvious distinct differences in fishing rules and regs Question

Confusing -> Isn't it Question

If anyone can discover or provide an answer to this ($64,000) question lets hear it Exclamation

SeaDog1
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ice fishing is a form of angling but that doesn't mean that CT can't make 2 totally different sets of rules...lol...and make them as unclear as possible. That's what bureaucracies do best.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DD!

Yeah! That seems to be what is the only difference, because some states make the rules/regs equal for both terms so as to provide consistancy.

2 rods only for softwater and 2 devices only for hardwater!

SeaDog1
Flipper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is from "On The Water Magazine" CT fishing reports for this week:

Nick at Fisherman’s World said the Housatonic River has been good for stripers as of late. Though there are bass from the Derby Dam to the river mouth, Nick noted that many of his customers are concentrating midway near the Sikorsky Bridge. He suggested retrieving Slug-Gos quickly over the surface or trolling Bombers and even umbrella rigs.

I guess they are legal in freshwater in CT! Sweet, because I got 2 rigs this weekend. It's got to better your chances for stripers feeding on schooling fish. Twisted Evil Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we routinely (is that how you spell that?) use two umbrella rigs at the same time while trolling for striper....
Flipper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking freshwater or saltwater - because I know it is used often in saltwater, but I wanted to use it in the river. Wasn't sure it was legal, but I thought it was (if you read the rules about hooks, points, bait, etc in the Anglers Guide). This report pretty much solidifies it for me. With two umbrella rigs (1 on each pole) and two 3-way spreaders (1 on each umbrella), I can have 16 swimbaits and 6 live baits just by myself. I'm pretty sure that will imitate a school of baitfish well enough to get a striper to bite. Twisted Evil Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Striper have been in the river like that for awhile. People just dont go out till it warms up and the fishing picks up. More guys out moves the fish around more as with baitfish... Less than week "my guess" on the bait swarms and hectic biggons everywhere...
DickVanPike

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive been using umbrellas on the Housy for years its awesome...havent used them past sikorsky but from there all the way to the sound they work awesome....yea i think another two weeks and the striper fishing will be phenominal...Flipper ill hit you up well go out and get some if you want...
Flipper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm ready - well almost. I either need a new batt. or a new charger for my boat, but I will be in Houston on business all next week. I need some good weather and some free time to figure out which one I need. By then, the stripers should be up here in the CT river (probably already are). Hopefully, the water will go down and it will be on!
BTW - nice avatar. Who is that guy???? Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea but the water isnt that bad. boats were having hard time going up... At least all the CC's were... id make it if i was driving must of been some people who never did it before...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: