CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing
Viewing Topic: IT's ALL OVER! Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: IT's ALL OVER! Reply with quote

Hi!

Well it looks like this ice fishing season is at it's end!

NO MORE of THIS Exclamation

But for those that just have to -> REMEMBER! Ice in the spring melts from the bottom up Exclamation
So test any and all ice every couple of feet Exclamation

OR Exclamation

SeaDog1
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been over for me 4 a few weeks. No ice around here, fairfield.
DaveyDave

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im in DENIAL!!! I just bought 7 heritage tackle tip ups at my local sporting good store for a whopping 102.37
they were coated in pinkish rubber coating of some sorts..so i busted the managers chops telling him that my buddys will most likely rag on me for pink tip ups but at 14$ i just couldnt say no now i just have rig them with my homemade siren led combo bite alarm and they are ready to go might have to "ice fish without ice"(look it up on youtube) Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This actually seems like more fun than ice fishing with ice. I don't think I'd set all 6 tipups up near the stumps at Winchester. Probably best to avoid really windy days too.

Link

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave!

You know those singing greeting cards?

Well I have 2 Slammer ice rigs and have them rigged so that 1 plays the "Hampster Dance Tune" when tripped and the other plays "Who Let the Dogs Out" when tripped.

It's a riot when one of them goes off and the look on peoples faces is totally precious Exclamation Very Happy Laughing Laughing Laughing

SeaDog1
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool idea! That's the guy from CT Outfitters in Wethersfield.
DaveyDave

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah thats Blaine he told me to check it out it was one of those things like "why didnt i think of that"
Seadog thats sound F-in Great! i would love to see those in action!!!
i thought mine were good as they were so loud you could hear them miles away thought i might aggrevate people if they werent catchin but that has yet to happen
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Forgot all about (till Kira posted it) Blaine's softwater fishing with floating tip-up from last year (form of jug fishing).

Went up on YouTube and found this!

Might be a good way to target and fish for Pike during Open Water season Exclamation Shocked

Least you can supposedly legally have 6 rigs fishing all at one time and spread out over a wider area Exclamation (Could be fun chasing the noodles all over the place Exclamation Very Happy )

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa4ikBSeAis&feature=related

SeaDog1 Mr. Green

Last edited by SeaDog1 on Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Just got off the phone with Tim Barry (Fisheries Biologist with DEP - Have known Tim for some time).

Asked him about the legality of jug fishing in Ct.
Stumped him -> So he's going to research it and get back to me Exclamation

As he said -> It could very well be legal -> But is it ethical to subject the state's fisheries to that kind of additional pressure Question

He did say that trotline fishing in Ct. is ILLEGAL Exclamation
Both trotline and jug fishing is ILLEGAL in Mass. Exclamation

I'll post his reply as soon as I get it Exclamation

SeaDog1
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All!

Well....While waiting to hear back from Tim Barry about the legality of jug fishing here in Ct. .... I did some of my own research on the subject reading thru the 2011 Ct. Angler's Guide on line.

Here's what I found:

There is definetly a conflict of wording on page 12 of the guide under the following definitions -> Angling - Float(Bobbers) - and Ice Fishing!

Under Angling -> Your allowed only 2 units. (Nothing about having to be personally attented to)

Under Float(Bobbers) -> There is no mention of or restriction to the number of units allowed. (All must be personally attended to)

Under Ice fishing -> It says your allowed 6 Float (Bobbers). (All must be personally attended to and have name and address attached to each device)

NOTE: In Blaine's video....He said he called DEP and received word back that his floating ice tip-up (just a form of jug fishing) is legal Exclamation

Guess it's up to DEP to make some sort of ruling here Exclamation

If anyone has an opinion or can shed more light on this subject -> Would be interested to know Exclamation

SeaDog1
IceAddict

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My take is you should only be using 2 lines. Just because you are using an icefishing device, by no means are you "icefishing". You are "open water fishing". And by that are allowed 2 lines. I use short ultra light poles for jigging when icefishing, but never do I say I am "open water fishing".
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi IA!

I hear you!

Trouble is -> as I indicated there is a conflict in wording.

Under the definition "Angling" Yes! 2 lines with or without rods is max allowed -> yet it does not specify open water or ice fishing.

Under the definition "Ice fishing" 6 devices are allowed and no where does it specify using such devices strictly on ice or open water.

Yes! This maybe splitting hairs with the wording, but that's the way of the world today. Things need to be very clearly spelled out.

Anyway -> The legality question is in the hands of the DEP and it will be interesting to hear what the ruling is!

SeaDog1
Flipper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wondered about the number of hooks. I know only 3 can be baited per line, but what about not baited? Can I use something like an umbrella rig with 6-10 lures on each line as long as they are not baited? Even for ice fishing - can I use 3 baited hooks on each tip up for a total of 18? Seems like that would really help ones chances of catching fish.
Chumming too. If I can chum my holes for ice fishing, can I hang a chum bucket off my boat on a lake? Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Flipper!

Well according to the Angler's Guide you can have 3 hooks per line.
So under the "Angling" definition you could have 6 hooks.

Under the "Ice fishing" definition which allows 6 devices(lines) per person x 3 hooks each= 18 hooks allowed per person.

So for an umbrella rig, would be illegal as that would have more then 3 hooks.

As for chumming -> Legal in Ct.

SeaDog1
Flipper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooks and baited hooks are 2 different things. A crankbait has more than 3 hooks. This is word for word from the Anglers Guide:

ANGLING - Fishing with hook and line, which must be personally
attended. No more than two lines, with or without rods, may be used
at one time. Each line may have any combination of hooks, flies or lures,
of which a maximum of three hooks may be baited.

FISHHOOK or HOOK - A curved, pointed device, with or without barb,
used to catch fish. Hooks may be single, double or treble and each point
shall be considered as a single hook.

This does not specify how many non-baited hooks can be used.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: