CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing
Viewing Topic: IT's ALL OVER! Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TurtleKiss wrote:
...and a hookah.

You know...in Massachusetts, where I am originally from, this has a whole other meaning Very Happy
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDawg10 wrote:
TurtleKiss wrote:
...and a hookah.

You know...in Massachusetts, where I am originally from, this has a whole other meaning Very Happy

Those hookahs would make this conversation way too awkward.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDawg10 wrote:
TurtleKiss wrote:
...and a hookah.

Hi DD!

Yeah! I'm originally from Mass. (Fall River).
Up there we drop the last H and pronounce it with R's at the end.
Good Kennedy type brouge Exclamation Very Happy Laughing Laughing Laughing

SeaDog1
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're from Fawl Rivah!?! Nice!
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DD!

WOW Exclamation Finally found someone here in Ct. that knows how to pronounce it correctly Exclamation Very Happy Laughing Laughing Laughing

SeaDog1
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been wanting to try jugging (for catfish) for years, but never seen anyone doing it here so I assumed it was illegal. 6 rigs seems like a lot to me. All it takes is a gust of wind to blow them into a spot where they can't be retrieved, and that's some big litter that endangers the wildlife substantially. However...6 rigs can catch a lot of fish. Phil - do you realize how easily this method will catch Batterson walleye? Summer, 9 p.m...bait hooks with shiners and scatter the bottles around the sunken island. Catch your limit, return to launch area and repeat with nightcrawlers for unlimited panfish. Ocean state job lot has bulk glow bracelets...put one in each bottle. Smile I gotta try it one of these days...give the bass a night off.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kira!

Yes! Jug fishing is legal here in Ct, but during open water your only allowed 2 jugs (3 hooks per jug) and must be in attendance. You must remove them upon leaving the water.
It comes under the "Angling" definition so you can only use 2 rods, or 2 jugs, or 1 rod and 1 jug at any one time.

SeaDog1
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaDog1 wrote:
Hi Kira!

Yes! Jug fishing is legal here in Ct, but during open water your only allowed 2 jugs (3 hooks per jug) and must be in attendance. You must remove them upon leaving the water.
It comes under the "Angling" definition so you can only use 2 rods, or 2 jugs, or 1 rod and 1 jug.

SeaDog1

I don't see any restriction of the number of floats per line. If you use some really long line, 1 jug and 3 smaller floats, all 3 hooks can be spaced apart nicely and set at any depth. For it to be legal, the line must remain unbroken, meaning the hooks would be tied in sequence & look like a wave. It's ghetto, but 2 of those rigs is almost as good as 6 jugs with 1 hook each.

SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kira!

Hmmmmmm?
Yeah!..... I can see how that might work!

1 main jug (name and address) - attached to1 continuous line of X length with 3 hooks hanging down off the main line with 2-3 smaller floats attached to the main line not above the hooks but between hooks just for bouyancy.

That way you could get a supposedly wider horozontal spread off 1 line which could very well be legal.

Seems doable as long as the rig is free floating - 1 end with jug and the other end free - no float!
Basicly you'd be setting out a mini long line like they do for tuna or swordfish.

Run your idea up the flag pole with DEP and see what they have to say!

SeaDog1
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaDog1 wrote:
Hi Kira!

Hmmmmmm?
Yeah!..... I can see how that might work!

1 main jug (name and address) - attached to1 continuous line of X length with 3 hooks hanging down off the main line with 2-3 smaller floats attached to the main line not above the hooks but between hooks just for bouyancy.

That way you could get a supposedly wider horozontal spread off 1 line which could very well be legal.

Seems doable as long as the rig is free floating - 1 end with jug and the other end free - no float!
Basicly you'd be setting out a mini long line like they do for tuna or swordfish.

Run your idea up the flag pole with DEP and see what they have to say!

SeaDog1

Why bother? Every time you ask them a question they just look it up in the angler's guide.

PECo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that a jug would be considered as a float or bobber under the regs:
Quote:
Float" or "bobber" means any buoyant object attached to a fishing line. No such float shall be used unless the line is personally attended.

So is a free floating jug "personally attended"? After all, it could float away from you, whether because of current, wind or fish.

Oh, and you could have more than three hooks per line, as long as a maximum of three are baited. But if Gulp baits are truly artificial (i.e., free of any animal or vegetable parts), you could bait as many hooks as you want with them.

This is getting really confusing. . . . Confused

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Well in Blaine's video -> His 2 approved floating tip-ups are free floating same as if you used a jug or noodle and as long as you remained within close visual contact of them -> That would satisfy the requirement for attendance.

As far as the hook # issue is concerned ..... Conference -> BBQ -> and plenty of Booze.......Because its gonna be a looooong meeting Exclamation Very Happy Laughing

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kira

I'm still not sold on using tip-ups while ice fishing. I feel too disconnected from the catching of the fish. It's feels almost unsportsmanlike to me. And that's even after my last tip-up fish was a nice smallie!

Jug fishing? With a trot line? Or with shiners? Shocked Absolutely NOT for me! Confused

Buy, hey, whatever rocks your boat. I'd love to see you give it a shot. Very Happy

Phil

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Phil!

Try and figure this one out!
Under "Angling" only 2 rods are allowed.
Under "Ice fishing" you can use 6 short rods.

A rod is a rod no matter what the length .......And all are still angles (per legal definition) used for fishing.

So isn't there a conflict in the wording of the rules Question

Cheeech! ....TG It's past noon -> Dam Exclamation ....I need a drink if we're gonna keep this controvercy going Exclamation Very Happy

Sooooo Confusing Rolling Eyes

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: