CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater Reports
Viewing Topic: New Personal Best CT Keeper Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eyeball

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ct salt great response someone who actually is out there fishing talking about what he sees and experiences.
Dunker I will never tone it down when I see a young kid with problems get harrased for taking his PB striper!!!! your right what comes around goes around!! remember this is America freedom of speech and everyone is entitled to an opinion. Still nobody has made comments as to why Ct dep allows you to kill short stripers in the ct river if the population was so bad I don't think they would promote this like they do. ct dep also states that there are so many stripers they believe this is a big reason the herring are having a tuff time. so your telling me a couple miles down the coast the stripers are devastated but from Clinton to the east they are doing great? Every time I'm in new haven and Bridgeport the bunker are thick and its not hard to find some hungry bass. there are acres of them already showing up its only the middle of April but that's not what this convo. Is about its about multiple people on this thread telling a kid the STATES striper population is hurting and that he shouldn't keep the striper. Once again IMHO the striper population is doing just fine and if someone doesn't like people taking fish and they are following the law take it up with ct dep not a young kid who takes the bus or his bike to the fishing grounds. What comes around goes around!!!! Lol
ctsalt12

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thinking behind the short stripers is that taking shorts has less of an effect than taking big breeding fish that will likely result in creating many many more. 1 juvenile is one juvenile, 1 40 inch fish female is the potential for a shitload of juveniles the next year. Of course there's no easy way to tell the difference between a male and a female by eye.

As for the herring having a tough time. Personally I think it's a chain caused all by bunker decreases. There used to be dolphins in the sound most of the year. Why? Food source, bunker. Whether it seems like they're plentiful or not, there's a LOT less than there used to be. Look up menhaden defenders and omega protein. Look at the numbers of menhaden and how it's decreased, you'll be surprised. If I wasn't at work I'd find you the link. Stripers have less bunker to eat, they eat more herring, juvenile flounder (also a species that has been on the decline for a long time), juvenile weakfish (on the decline for a long time but making a comeback!) But more than anything the lack of herring has been because of pollution and dams preventing their spawn migration as far I know. It all comes down to the bottom of the food chain, the bait source. And Menhaden are, or were, the core bait source.

I don't travel up to bridgeport so I can't comment on the bunker up there but I hear they are there year round. Sounds like they're filtering the water near the power plant, no? They are filter feeders it's what they do.
Eyeball

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything you said is very true but in the ct river your aloud 2 over 28 plus your aloud to kill shorts and you can do this everyday I the summer as far as I know.
It's funny you mentioned the dolphins because I have never seen them In the sound but last year on the boat we saw them multiple times pods of 50-100 coming right up to the boat once at night coming into the spreader lights it was like I was in the canyon really cool looking at land and having pods of dolphins smashing bait around the boat!!!!
fishfinder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think anyone should have to go without a striper once in awhile. I just dont think anyone should be walking away every time they fish with 2 - 38"ers just because they caught them. Personally Id like to see a slot limit like 1 or 2 between 28" and 32" and leave the bigger ones to keep producing.

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eyeball wrote:
Still nobody has made comments as to why Ct dep allows you to kill short stripers in the ct river if the population was so bad I don't think they would promote this like they do. ct dep also states that there are so many stripers they believe this is a big reason the herring are having a tuff time.

DEEP is allowing this in the spring because the year classes for these schoolies have been strong. They are not yet the primary breeders. If you look at the data, which is from sources including marine biologist (who don't hug trees but do fish - I know a few of them), commercial and recreational anglers, drawn from the entire Eastern Seaboard fishery, it is the mature breeders (those 30-50lb. fish) that most all sides agree is down (there are some guys who would fish until the last fish). We haven't reached the situation in the 80s, which is why many groups are advocating being proactive instead of the scenario in the 80s, where so many argued that nothing was wrong until the population collapsed. Yes, it's still pretty easy to catch a lot of big fish drifting live bait over numerous spots in the LIS, but that doesn't give a full picture of future year classes. I'd be happy to see a change in recreational quotas to slot limits. Why the hell would anyone need so much striper if they fish all the time? If you're starving, go catch porgies.

I don't care if Michael kept his fish. Good for him. He's not keeping two of those a day all season long, which would still be legal at this time. I keep an occasional fish, sometimes two when I plan to give away fillets, but release 99% of the fish I catch. I probably kept 5-6 stripers all of last season. My choice.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
Eyeball

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEEP is allowing this in the spring because the year classes for these schoolies have been strong. They are not yet the primary breeders. If you look at the data, which is from sources including marine biologist (who don't hug trees but do fish - I know a few of them), commercial and recreational anglers, drawn from the entire Eastern Seaboard fishery, it is the mature breeders (those 30-50lb. fish)

So your telling me you can kill 2 (30-50lb.) bass PLUS the shorts because the small class of fish that's the future (30-50lb.) bass is very strong lol come on I have friends that are ct deep and they have told me they are doing strictly because the future (30-50lb.) schoolie are over populated in the ct river and are putting a big dent in the herring when they make there run. That is quote on quote from a ct deep officer while we were fishing the river last year and it makes sense to me because like I said IMHO I don't think there is a striper shortage in the state of ct. The entire state of ct not one spot or use to be honey hole I'm talking the entire state of CT. How do you justify killing the future "breeders" and then say there are not many (30-50lb.) fish around just doesn't make sense!! It would sound a little better if you couldn't kill the two over 28 plus the shorts but that's not the case
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eyeball, I'm not sure your literate or you need your eyeballs checked. Go back and read the post again. I'm not advocating taking shorts and two mature breeders, nor am I talking about CT bass only. Frankly, it's folks like you that lead to the 80s, and you're really not worth wasting any more time on. I'm sure Stripers Online would welcome you.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
Eyeball

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I read your last post the more I just don't understand people. I posted on this thread because people were telling a kid not to kill a striper because the population is hurt in CT and I strongly disagree with that. You followed up with a link saying that the rec. ct fisherman is killing the future of the ct striper. In your last post you talk about how your biologists friends have came up with the schoolie stripers being VERY STRONG Wich is the FUTURE striper population and that's why you can kill them in the river system. You also state how its easy to catch (30-50lb.) bass in ct. But yet they are not doing well (by the way you left out the 60-70lb. Bass that are starting to become popular in this state) so how are there so many strong schoolies if there are no breeders left?
I release 100% of the bass I catch in this state and don't eat anything out of the sound!!! for me a slot limit or 2 over 28 doesn't matter because I let them all go and as for he future sure looks like 2 over 28 is doing just fine to me and obviously the people making the laws who if I'm not mistaken use your biologist friends information to come up with these laws?
Eyeball

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand your post perfectly fine you went from stating your "fact" about ct river schoolies and then continued to talk about the east coast population of bass Wich I didn't think was what this convo was about!!!! It was just me stating my opinion that I thought the CT striper population was doing just fine and that people should not give a kid a hard time for killing a bass!!!!! Your slowly turning this into now the east coast population and how people like me are going to kill the population even though you kill more than me hahahaha lol I am also done waisting my time see you on the water chasing the elusive striper lol
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: